Is Organic II tougher than Organic I?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Transposon, Dec 23, 2001.

1. Do people's grades in Organic usually go downward in the second semester or stay the same? Is it a lot tougher than Organic I? Perhaps easier?! I'm planning on taking Advanced Organic chemistry soon and I'd like to be on that level sometime...

thanks...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. grunermann

grunermann Senior Member

Personally, I would say that it is harder. Most likely, it will be the first time that you have to apply reactions to do synthesis problems. Likewise, NMR, IR, and Mass spec problems are either really easy or really hard for people. Just make sure you get it.

4. Loki

Loki Senior Member

5. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus

6. vixen

vixen I like members

I had to put in more work to keep the same grade for organic II. I thought organic I was fun...all the stereochem...organic two isn't that bad...

ps. if you want to know which chem I hate the most...definitely biochem :mad:

7. Coalboy

Coalboy Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I particularly enjoyed the stuff in Orgo II about ortho,para versus meta directors when adding to benzene rings. I did think II was harder, but I was also a bit busier with other stuff, so that might have had something to do with it. We did synthesis problems in both semesters.

8. italianlove

italianlove Senior Member

Hey ligand,

Generally, II is harder 'cause there is much more theory involved (NMR, IR, o-p-m-benzene rings) but many people who did well in I do BETTER in II (even though it is more difficult) because they have a solid foundation and know how to study. If you did well in I, then II should be very do-able, and yes, it is more interesting (more applicable to living systems). Take care and good luck next semester!

9. FSUMED

FSUMED Senior Member

It depends on your strengths. II requires more wrote memorization than understanding concepts IMHO. I did better with concepts in I...I still got an A in both, but worked much harder in II

10. Doctortobee

Doctortobee Senior Member

My Organic class seems to be structured differently. The first semester we learned everything (mechs, synthesis, properties) about alkanes, alkenes, alkynes, aromatics, and alcohols. Next semester we study Ketones, etc...

11. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

12. I agree with racergirl about org II.
    although you can memorize everything by repetition, it's better to conceptualize and understand what's going on in a reaction. that way you can apply it when presented with a novel reaction. but i think this is a VERY corny thread. for the record, I was more fun, II was more work. this topic bites.

13. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member

14. E'01

E'01 1K Member

Medical Student
    our professor LOVED Frontier molecular orbital theory (I think that's what it was called)-. My goodness, on every single exam it was a guaranteed question. He never told us the usefulness of knowing it until the very end and the whole class was like "Ohhhhhhhh now it makes sense". As for which segment was hardest? Goodness the whole lot was, but I'd have to synthesis was the toughest since the prof kind of stuck it in at the end and expected us to get it just like that. Before exams were handed out, we were always praised for our great sense of creativity in synthesizing compounds :D