Is ortho in my future?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Str8Wire

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying late I know but here are my stats

Graduated 2004 Been a GP since
Part 1 95 Part 2 96
GPA 3.95
1/60

Some awards but no research and no real leadership stuff.

What are my chances? Does being out 2 years help or hurt me? I have just started filling out PASS stuff so I am gonna be a late applicant!

Members don't see this ad.

Str8Wire said:

Part 1 95 Part 2 96
GPA 3.95
1/60

What are my chances? Does being out 2 years help or hurt me? I have just started filling out PASS stuff so I am gonna be a late applicant!

well your part 1 and part 2 are very low and your class rank could be better......J/k Are you really serious?

Austin1 said:
well your part 1 and part 2 are very low and your class rank could be better......J/k Are you really serious?

Yeah I am serious I hear all the stats on here like you got to be perfect (like 98 or higher part 1) with a ton of research and everything to get in!! Plus I am starting really late!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Str8Wire said:

Part 1 95 Part 2 96
GPA 3.95
1/60

Gary Ruska thinks that you don't have a chance at ortho. GR recommends that you consider an alternative career; click here to find out more...

Str8Wire said:
Yeah I am serious I hear all the stats on here like you got to be perfect (like 98 or higher part 1) with a ton of research and everything to get in!! Plus I am starting really late!!

You're money. Don't worry about it. Well, don't apply to three places and expect a guarantee, but if you apply to ten or twelve you will get a lot of interviews and prolly get in somewhere.

lol...

gary_ruska said:
Gary Ruska thinks that you don't have a chance at ortho. GR recommends that you consider an alternative career; click here to find out more...

MickieDs woud be less stress than being a GP I guarantee it!! Even if the drivethrough got backed up 5 cars deep!! :)

Crap crap crap I only got a 1170 on the GRE will this kill my chances?

Str8Wire said:

Only if you didn't do well on the PSAT :p

Str8Wire said:

Anyobody else got comments?

Str8Wire said:
Anyobody else got comments?

don't get your panties in a bunch and apply already.

Str8Wire said:

Part 1 95 Part 2 96
GPA 3.95
1/60

I hate to be harsh, but I believe you are looking for an honest answer. The only real option left to you at this point is to start dental school over and do it right this time. Shoot for at least a 3.97 GPA this time around, 98+ on boards, and try to get a couple papers published in Nature.

I know it sounds difficult but it's what has to be done if you are going to have any real shot at ortho.

Members don't see this ad :)
Str8Wire said:

Part 1 95 Part 2 96
GPA 3.95
1/60

just started my first year ortho after 2+ years practice as GP. I got in with a 91/85 NBE, 3.64 GPA 8/81, 1440 GRE and no research but plenty of leadership. It was a freakin' miracle though. My PASS was on time/early and I knew my relative chances of matching and did not go OEC, but applied accordingly to a lot of schools.

yeah, your stuff is better so get on the ball if you want it. Just know that if sucks big time to not have a check coming every month.

woody2 said:
just started my first year ortho after 2+ years practice as GP. I got in with a 91/85 NBE, 3.64 GPA 8/81, 1440 GRE and no research but plenty of leadership. It was a freakin' miracle though. My PASS was on time/early and I knew my relative chances of matching and did not go OEC, but applied accordingly to a lot of schools.

yeah, your stuff is better so get on the ball if you want it. Just know that if sucks big time to not have a check coming every month.

why would you say it was a miracle? I'd say you were a decent applicant...90+ boards, top 10% rank, excellent GRE, private practice experience...

Budmano786 said:
why would you say it was a miracle? I'd say you were a decent applicant...90+ boards, top 10% rank, excellent GRE, private practice experience...

plenty of people with better numbers who did not match.

Why does everyone want to do ortho?? Do you all really think that you'll make that much money especially once OEC puts y'all out of business?

coolraz said:
Why does everyone want to do ortho?? Do you all really think that you'll make that much money especially once OEC puts y'all out of business?

Dunno if you have noticed, but it seems to be OEC that is going out of business. Nice flame, tardo.

coolraz said:

Hey 1st year....OEC went bankrupt.

even scarier than the negative effects a for profit educational model could have (hopefully could OF had ) on not only orthodontics, but dentistry in general, is the thought of people like this associated with the profession enjoying and embracing it. this kid lacks perspective of the big picture and this will ultimately cost him - guaranteed.

How is it possible that you guys make it past boards part 2 and still not know what's needed to get into a particular specialty? It baffles me.

I heard last week that CU's version of OEC will not be accepting ortho residents next year. In other words, their ortho program is done. Finished. My source did not indicate what would happen to those residents currently in the program. Anybody know? Furthermore, any more word on UNLV and Jacksonville's OEC programs?

My source is a dental school clinical faculty member. He's not a member of the ortho department.

I am at UNLV and I know that they are accepting residents for next year and I am pretty sure that CU and Jacksonville are as well. The difference is that they will not have the OEC obligated spots.

The real question to ask is: "How will these programs fair now without additional funding from OEC and still attempting to train 16 residents in fairly new programs?"

I'd be very cautious.

I have 86 on boards and 3.6 GPA.... can i get in ? I have a pulication and lots of leadearship roles

hey str8wire,

there are probably a lot of people on this website that don't like you. Not because you are a bad person, but because you asked what your chances were with numbers like that. Get real dude, of course you'll get in. It's kind of humiliating and degrading to people with lower numbers to read your first post. When I say people with lower numbers, I mean 95% of people on this website.

OMFSdoc is right. Asking about your chances of getting in w/ numbers and experience like yours is astounding. Yes, ortho is competitive. And even you wonder at times if you can get in. Yet, asking your question in a public forum has a negative effect on most of the folks out there who are struggling to get in w/ much less (numbers, experience, etc.).

Your numbers have put you in a good position. Don't downplay the #s, just don't showcase them. You should know you're in good shape. Just be your best self at the interviews. Presenting as a balanced, well-rounded team player is much more important than being a smart kid.