Is Pakistani/Indian considered URM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CanadianPremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think they are classified as "ORM"

Are applicants of Indian or Pakistani descent/origin considered to be URM? What if you grew up in Canada/America but your parents are Pakistani or Indian? I would like some insight on this.

If not, I guess we're put into the same pool as Whites and Asians while Hispanics and Blacks get a kick-ass URM advantage!

India is a part of Asia. People from India are classified as "Asian."

Or, if you'd like, we can go with the US Gov't's definition (which is what AMCAS cites):

The "Asian" category will be defined as "A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam."
So you are (again) considered Asian. As for your status per AMCAS, this places you in the aforementioned "ORM" category (that is, you would be at a slight disadvantage to Caucasian applicants).

For more info, see http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/fedreg_1997standards/

Members don't see this ad :)
As others have said, no, sorry :(.

Are applicants of Indian or Pakistani descent/origin considered to be URM? What if you grew up in Canada/America but your parents are Pakistani or Indian? I would like some insight on this.

If not, I guess we're put into the same pool as Whites and Asians while Hispanics and Blacks get a kick-ass URM advantage!
I would like to clarify a point here; there is a misunderstanding among some people as to how consideration of URM status works. While it used to be the case that files of URM applicants were literally placed in a different pool from other applicants and evaluated separately, this practice is presently illegal and applications from URM applicants are evaluated in the same "pool" as everyone else (that is, they are considered relative to the applicant pool at large, not simply compared to other URM applications.)

I realize you may not have meant "pool" in the sense that I'm referring to, but some people are under the impression that the system still works that way, and it does not.

I would like to clarify a point here; there is a misunderstanding among some people as to how consideration of URM status works. While it used to be the case that files of URM applicants were literally placed in a different pool from other applicants and evaluated separately, this practice is presently illegal and applications from URM applicants are evaluated in the same "pool" as everyone else (that is, they are considered relative to the applicant pool at large, not simply compared to other URM applications.)

I realize you may not have meant "pool" in the sense that I'm referring to, but some people are under the impression that the system still works that way, and it does not.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is only true in states where preferential URM treatment is not allowed, like Michigan for example. The vast majority of states do still give preferential URM treatment.

Let me consult the magic 8 ball.

magic-8-ball.jpg

Definitely "ORM". Sorry OP, I hope this doesn't mess up things for you.

This thread made me laugh incredibly hard. ORM is both hilarious and factually true. I love it. :laugh:

Wait, this was yesterday...April Fools?

Pakistani/Indians are not under-represented in medicine.

We the heck does every non urm sdn student think that URM get some kick a** advantage. The reason why URM have lower gpa and mcat scores because not as many are applying.... and we need a physician racial/ ethnicity population that matches america.

We the heck does every non urm sdn student think that URM get some kick a** advantage. The reason why URM have lower gpa and mcat scores because not as many are applying.... and we need a physician racial/ ethnicity population that matches america.

I have nothing against affirmative action but I don't think you can deny that URMs get an advantage.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this is only true in states where preferential URM treatment is not allowed, like Michigan for example. The vast majority of states do still give preferential URM treatment.

As I understand it the case as I stated it applies everywhere under federal law, though consideration of minority status may be taken into account with the aim of increasing class diversity. The issue of separate pools and quotas was settled by the US Supreme Court in Regents of the University of California vs Bakke in 1978. While some states may prohibit consideration of URM status (which I was not aware of) in general it definitely confers an advantage. However, the extent and mechanism by which this occurs is commonly misunderstood.