Is pharm school classes going to be like biochemistry I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cougarden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking biochemistry I right now this summer and find the class a dread to study for. I find human physiology, anatomy and physiology, organic chemistry way more exciting to study for than biochemistry. I am not sure if im just burned out from last semester or I just really dislike biochemistry I. I haven't been doing too great on our exams so I am contemplating on dropping the class and retaking it later during fall or spring.

Are pharmacy classes alot like biochemistry I? I understand that you do cover biochem your first year (based on the schools I plan to apply to) but are the other classes similar or are they not comparable?

Members don't see this ad.

You have Med Chem in pharmacy school where you learn how a drug molecule interacts with the body (eg how it binds to an enzyme).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure it depends on the college of pharmacy. My experience: I took 2 semesters of biochemistry (senior level course) as an undergraduate over a summer session (i.e., 30 weeks of class taught in 10 weeks). At the pharmacy school I attended, the class was taught over 6 or 8 weeks (with medical students). We had 4 hours of biochemistry lecture every day. Everything I learned in my undergrad class was covered in less than 1 and 1/2 weeks. I didn't particularly care for the class, but it was doable. I literally studied for 8 hours every day though. All of the basic science courses in pharmacy school were like that (biochemistry, physiology, immunology and we had a neuro course too). After those were finished, therapeutics started and it was so much better. That was during the second half of the second year (of a 4 year program).

I took biochem in undergrad. The biochem class we took our P1 year was biochem on steroids.

I'm about to get my MS in biochem. would pharmacy school be like that? I loved my classes for the most part even the hard ones like p biochem. And most pharmacy students that I've talked to say that I would have not problem in pharm school. Just wondering.