Is Pharmacy right for me? (high school junior)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jankitm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I'm a junior in high school right now, and I just scheduled classes for next year, which are:

AP Biology
AP Physics: Mechanics
AP Spanish
Calculus
British and World Literature
American Government

AP/Honors classes I took this year were/are AP Psychology, AP Chemistry, and Honors Anatomy and Physiology.

I'm not a super smart overachiever like the majority of you on this forum. I'm making a solid B in AP Chem, and I have to try really hard to get that. I'm doing well in Honors Anatomy because I love what we're learning about. I love learning about the human body and its functions more than say doing a lab in chemistry. I'm doing okay in Pre-Calculus, but I know I could do better if a tried a bit harder.

I really don't know what to major in, though. I want to do something with science. I started out with wanting to be a doctor, then realized how impossible that is for me. I've considered pharmacy, but chemistry just isn't fascinating to me. I just need help on deciding a potential career for me. Should I go in to pharmacy even though I don't enjoy chemistry? Or will I end up hating it? Are there any other careers that you guys think might fit me?

Let me add that I am not good with standardized tests, either. I am taking the ACT for the first time this coming Saturday and I hope to get at least 25. My goals are not that high because timed tests are not for me.

Also, what do you think about my schedule? I understand it's not as challenging as it could be, but I feel like it's at the level I need it to be. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're serious about a future career as a pharmacist, try to get a tech job at a local chain/hospital and see whether or not it's a right fit for you. On a side note, I'm not exactly sure why people think that in order to go in to pharmacy you have to be some sort of chem wiz. Sure, you'll have to take gen chem/orgo as an undergrad and med chem as a rx student, but as a practicing pharmacist you aren't going to be expected to pull the diehls-alder reaction out of your ass.

You have a lot of time to make up your mind. Continue to work hard and you'll eventually figure things out. Good luck.

I'm not a super smart overachiever like the majority of you on this forum.

Don't be intimidated. You'll have time. :cool:

You might find like-minded folks over at the hSDN forum. A lot of them are in the same boat as you, trying to make the same decisions.

I really don't know what to major in, though. I want to do something with science.

Good on ya, thinking about it so early. Don't stress, though - you have years to figure it out. Most places don't make you declare a major until a year (or maybe two?) into undergrad anyway. Also, your undergrad major doesn't always define where you'll end up.

I started out with wanting to be a doctor, then realized how impossible that is for me. I've considered pharmacy, but chemistry just isn't fascinating to me. I just need help on deciding a potential career for me. Should I go in to pharmacy even though I don't enjoy chemistry? Or will I end up hating it? Are there any other careers that you guys think might fit me?

Why would being a doctor be impossible? What sort of aspects are you looking for in your career? Think in terms of what you'd enjoy doing on a daily basis, rather than what subjects in school you enjoy. Do you like working in groups? Do you like using the chem lab equipment? (I would really have to work at it if I had my heart set on working in a lab - I am a klutz. I'm lucky I got a lab partner who worked in a blood lab in O Chem. :laugh: )

Let me add that I am not good with standardized tests, either. I am taking the ACT for the first time this coming Saturday and I hope to get at least 25. My goals are not that high because timed tests are not for me.

Taking timed tests is a skill you can practice and get better at. Please don't think you can't pursue a specific career because you're not good at standardized tests... you're breaking my heart.

Also, what do you think about my schedule? I understand it's not as challenging as it could be, but I feel like it's at the level I need it to be. Any advice? Thanks so much!

Just saying that an AP schedule in your junior year of high school isn't "as challenging as it could be" makes me think you're a closet super-smart overachiever. ;) Honestly, it's fantastic that you're taking Calc and the three major "hard sciences" in high school. Having that exposure will really help when you get to college. (I had never taken physics before college, and I really had a lot of catching up to do.)

My biggest piece of advice to anyone trying to figure out what they want to do is this: get whatever exposure you can to the career before you go too far down the path. See if you can shadow a pharmacist - even better, in a couple settings (retail, hospital, etc.). What else might you be interested in? See if you can shadow a dentist - or a physician - or whatever else you might want to do. You might get there and absolutely hate an aspect of the job. If nothing else, you'll get some serious perspective. If you still think you might want to pursue pharmacy, I agree with bullsfan1986 - get a tech job when you can to see what it's like on an extended basis. (If you think you want to be a physician, I might similarly suggest becoming an MA, although I'm less familiar with that field.)

By the way, bullsfan1986 - I :laugh:'d at the "diehls-alder reaction" comment.

You got time to decide your career, and you should figure that out through your extracurriculum activities and research, and you don't need to be "smart" to do well in college or highschool. If you like science a lot, I would pick a biochemistry major, which opens lot more doors than just bio and chem alone. Dont worry about your schedule unless you never study once during your highschool.