Is PharmD the way to go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter.ata

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a recent college graduate with a BS in biochemistry & molecular biology. I have been working as a lead tech at cvs for about 5 years now, and I have to say the company has really turned me off from pharmacy school. I used to have a real passion for pharmacy, but that fire is gradually going out.

I have been applying to jobs as a Clinical Research Associate but no luck (everyone wants experience).

My question is: does anyone know any other degree pursue that has promising job outlook (ie MS/PhD in pharmaceutics or pharmacology).

My overall GPA is 2.80

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure what else there is. At this point, a "promising" job outlook is probably not going to happen for any of those, but that's not to say there aren't jobs. If you want to go the Ph.D. route, it'll take you as long as an MD to get into the big bucks. Low GPA is a bit daunting though, you may want to do a post-bac to bring it up. Best of luck!

There is a major/profession I will not mention right now that is in very high demand, pays very well ($100k+ starting in some regions), and requires a relatively small money and time investment to get into.

My peers that went into biomedical engineering seem to be doing well, if you're looking for a less drastic change. Combine that with skills from the suggested career path in the former and you'll be very marketable.