Is PM&R a highly procedural specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carlosc1dbz

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious because in school they are talking to us about how mostly high procedural specialties are very competitive because they get reimbursed more than, family medicine for example that doesn't do very many procedures and has low reimbursement.

Also has this specialty been affected to a high degree by the medicare cuts, like cardiology did?

Members don't see this ad.

It can be highly procedural, or it can be purely clinical, depending on one's preference and areas of interest. If you do general inpt rehab, you won't do very many procedures. If you do a fellowship in pain, you'll do a lot.

If more people were aware of PM&R and the field had a better reputation historically, it would be a lot more competitive.

I was just curious because in school they are talking to us about how mostly high procedural specialties are very competitive because they get reimbursed more than, family medicine for example that doesn't do very many procedures and has low reimbursement.

Also has this specialty been affected to a high degree by the medicare cuts, like cardiology did?

if you are looking for a high procedure specialty - you should probably look into something like interventional radiology. PM&R docs can do a lot of procedures (see my other post) but we use them in conjunction with our training in MSK/neuro fundamental knowledge, physical exam, and medical management. I bill a lot more E&M codes than procedure codes.

Reimbursement falls for most specialties every year and with the new government sponsored healthcare system, the trend is for more cuts, not less. it's going to be about cost containment and procedures that are "elective" (i.e. not life or death) like pain are probably going to be targeted. things change fairly quickly in medicine and if u choose a specialty based on current compensation, you're probably going to be disappointed. by the time med students hear about a great $$ maker specialty, the cat's already out of the bag and the decline has already started.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are looking for a high procedure specialty - you should probably look into something like interventional radiology. PM&R docs can do a lot of procedures (see my other post) but we use them in conjunction with our training in MSK/neuro fundamental knowledge, physical exam, and medical management. I bill a lot more E&M codes than procedure codes.

Reimbursement falls for most specialties every year and with the new government sponsored healthcare system, the trend is for more cuts, not less. it's going to be about cost containment and procedures that are "elective" (i.e. not life or death) like pain are probably going to be targeted. things change fairly quickly in medicine and if u choose a specialty based on current compensation, you're probably going to be disappointed. by the time med students hear about a great $$ maker specialty, the cat's already out of the bag and the decline has already started.

Cool avatar is what I would like to begin my reply with. I am not looking for compensation. I am actually just curious. You make great points about choosing a specialty. I learned about this specialty a few weeks ago, and to be honest I am in love with it. I dont know why, but I especially like the fact that it is not well known. As a person that has experienced severe pain, that affected my quality of life, I went to medical school in hopes of being able to make a difference in peoples lives, that suffer from some type of pain. I am very turned off by anesthesiology and their lack of patient interaction, and that is why I feel that PM&R is the coolest specialty ever.

As far as Doctor reimbursement is concerned, it is a sad truth that you speak. But hey, we can always vote this November dont forget! :)

how did u learn about the specialty? and congrats for getting through your pain and surviving in med school. PM&R is a great specialty and I am very happy with my choice. I like the tools that I have to offer my patients and although I complain a lot about the crazy patients, most of the time, my work is very rewarding. if u can find a physiatrist or two to shadow, i think that would give u a better idea of the scope of practice for physiatry.