Is PM&R still viable for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestleonagg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received my Step 1 Score today, and it was a 213...

I have been seriously interested in PM&R since the beginning of first-year of medical school as I have been involved with PM&R extracurricular activities (shadowing, PM&R club, volunteering in a rehab hospital) and PM&R research (which includes abstract acceptances and an oral presentation).

Questions:
1. Is PM&R still a viable specialty, or do I need to focus on another specialty, such as Family Medicine?
2. What are my next steps moving forward?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

I would still apply. Get great LOR's, improve your Step 2 score significantly and do very well in your rotations. After that apply broadly and interview well. 213 is a snapshot of your career. Use it as motivation to improve.

Reactions: 1 user
Still viable for sure. As you know, PM&R is getting more competitive by the year so you will be below the automatic score cut-off to get interviews for the "top" and many of the "mid-tier" programs. But that still leaves the rest, as well as a bunch of new programs that are literally just being started. What's good about PM&R is that it still highly values candidates who show long-term interest in the field, which seems like you have covered pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve known people who have FAILED and still managed to match. Agree with everyone else’s advice. Too soon to lose hope if this is what you want to do.

Thank you all for the response. Yesterday was a disappointing day, but I look forward to improving on Step 2 and doing well on my rotations to be somewhat of a competitive applicant.

Reactions: 2 users
You will be fine.

I was in the same realm for Step 1 and other resume things, managed to crush Step 2, and had plenty of interviews and matched.

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine. To echo some of the comments above, programs look at you as a holistic candidate. With step 1 also moving to pass/fail soon, its emphasis may slowly begin to fade out.

US MD?

I know of DOs who didn't take Step 1/2 and still matched at top tier programs (they did well on their COMLEX). Continue to show your interest, shadow, and you will likely match! Some of my colleagues who completed "low tier" residency programs are practicing and entered competitive subspecialties after PMR. Your CV thus far shows interest and as you rotate through programs, shine on your rotations with the attending and the residents.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m a DO who matched this year with a step 1 of 20x and step 2 of 23x. Do well on step 2, do lots of auditions and apply broadly and you’ll be fine

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all again for the input. For clarification, I am a DO student. I also received by COMLEX which was a 508. I am determined to do better on Step 2 / COMLEX 2 this time around