Is Possible To Balance Work and Family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWant2BeADoctor

License to Matriculate
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is possible to balance work and family as a Doctor?

I'd like to be a Doctor yet at the same time have some reservations about it because of all the stories I've heard about Doctors working 80 hours a week. :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

It is possible to balance work and family as a Doctor?

I'd like to be a Doctor yet at the same time have some reservations about it because of all the stories I've heard about Doctors working 80 hours a week. :eek:

Difficult but possible.

It's very possible, especially if you land one of the cushy residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very possible, especially if you land one of the cushy residencies.

Let me extend that statement. If you however don't land one of the "cushy" residencies, you could kiss your family goodbye.

BTW, you have about a 65% chance of not landing a cushy residency.

Radiology Opthalmology Anesthesiology Dermatology

Radiology Opthalmology Anesthesiology Dermatology

Dont count on that being the same 10 years from now. For all you know those specialties could be hurting by the time you start to practice.

I suppose if you work on your upper body strength you could balance just about anything.

I suppose if you work on your upper body strength you could balance just about anything.

by this, using your upper body to resist the temptations that attack the lower body

yes it's possible.
i plan on doing it

Balance? Depends on what you mean by balance. It will never be as good as it would be if you had a 9-5. You won't see your spouse as much, and if you are both working, you can count on a nanny to raise your kids until they can take care of themselves, and you can probably bet on them having some amount of resentment for you not being there for them.

On top of that you risk all sorts of things like losing your friends, having your spouse cheat on you because they feel unloved, etc. Time is a most valuable commodity for relationships, and if you don't have it, well quite simply your relationships will be weaker, no matter how much "quality time" you have, because let's face it, humans are emotionally greedy and want more and more time to build their bridges.

If you're willing to make less money, then yes, you can work less hours.

guys,

your remarks are truly scaring me, are you saying if i become a pediatrician i can kiss goodbye to having a family?

Of course it's possible ... consider all the docs in the country at present ... do you think the majority are working their a$$es off and being kept away from their families? Definitely not ... and as a future doc, you and me and anyone else, is just going to be the same as these docs. Granted there is a minority of individuals who 'choose' to work extra and thus, spend less time with their families, but why choose that if you don't want it!

guys,

your remarks are truly scaring me, are you saying if i become a pediatrician i can kiss goodbye to having a family?

I think pediatricians don't have that much of a problem. A lot of women do that and raise kids too, so I am guessing it is possible. Not the case with internal med, surgery etc.

guys,

I have worked with several pediatricians that are married and have children. I guess the key is to become organized and have great time management skills.

On another note: if you are a lady, you might not have time to shave your legs as often as you should. :p