Is pre-allo Nerd City?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choose one of the following

• I am a nerd and proud of it

Votes: 141 57.1%
  • I am a nerd and not proud of it

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • I am not a nerd and proud of it

Votes: 60 24.3%
  • I am not a nerd but I want to be one

Votes: 25 10.1%

• Total voters

durfen

I see plans within plans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say it ain't so! :D
Wait for the poll.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about making a reference to a baseline amount of nerdiness or a nerd bell-curve... then I realized. **** man, we really are nerds.

Yes, we are. And proud of it. +pad+

Members don't see this ad :)
the "proud non-nerds" are in denial. who else answer's polls on SDN? :laugh:

I have seen the nerds in my classes and I am definitely not one of them. I wouldn't say that I'm proud of that, but I don't want to become a nerd either. I suppose that I'm indifferent to being one or the other.

I have seen the nerds in my classes and I am definitely not one of them. I wouldn't say that I'm proud of that, but I don't want to become a nerd either. I suppose that I'm indifferent to being one or the other.
i think "nerd" is relative...

i'm far from a nerd.. in fact i look really unintelligent so people usually don't believe me when i say im going to medical school this fall.

i'm far from a nerd.. in fact i look really unintelligent so people usually don't believe me when i say im going to medical school this fall.

What you look like has nothing to do with it. I am an aerobics instructor and a former sorority girl and I KNOW I'm seriously nerdy. People don't know it until they get me talking about microbio....well then most quickly lose interest..why is that? :confused:

I agree that "nerd" is relative. It's not necessarily the kid who wears his pans unnecessarily high up the waist, wears thick glasses and is socially inept. Nerd is a way of being.

Bottom line is, if you hang out on SDN, chances are (we are talking about 99.999999999% chances here) you are a nerd.

I am one and proud of it. Although I get mad when people compliment on my "studiousness", especially if it's in a condescending way that seems to be saying "good girl, keep on studying...I'll be over here being normal." I am a nerd because I freaking want to, not because I want to please other people or be "good". :mad:

microgal and baylormed hit my point exactly.

besides...
It's not necessarily the kid who wears his pans unnecessarily high up the waist, wears thick glasses and is socially inept.
THAT is called geek :laugh:

I'm only a nerd when I need to be. For example, now that I'm accepted I go to 1 hr of class/week, get B's and *gasp* C range grades, party every weekend with my non-nerd friends, etc. Last year this exact time I was going to 20 hrs of class/week, studying every weekend, and doing ~15-20 hours of problem sets a week.
Nerd by necessity, foo :cool: .

and oh yeah, I love whoever answered option 2 :laugh:

GATORS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'M HIJACKING THIS LIKE JAY-Z HIJACKED JOE BUDDEN'S CAREER!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, relax. Do you go to Ohio State or something?

I'M HIJACKING THIS LIKE JAY-Z HIJACKED JOE BUDDEN'S CAREER!!!!!

True talk. I saw Joey live last year. Definitely in my top 10. It's that on top musIC!

True talk. I saw Joey live last year. Definitely in my top 10. It's that on top musIC!

yeah...punk azz Jay-z keeps focusing his career on mix-f879ing tapes...WTF!!!!

Hopefully Joe will flip the switch and play this fool

6"2" jock snowboarder. Definitely not a nerd. However, some of my best friends are nerds but I am trying to cure the gamers who live in an alternative universe.

It really makes you wonder about the future of medicine...the ability to effectively communicate with other people is arguably the greatest asset a doctor could have (it is often stated that a very high percentage of accurate differential diagnoses are made primarily through talking to and listening to the patient)...When I think about what makes a nerd a nerd, #1 on the list would definitely have to be a severe deficiency in communication skills...but, then again, I'd choose a nerd as my doctor any day over someone who wins popularity contests (class president, homecoming king/queen, basically any political position).

nerds.jpg

NERDS!!!!

It really makes you wonder about the future of medicine...the ability to effectively communicate with other people is arguably the greatest asset a doctor could have (it is often stated that a very high percentage of accurate differential diagnoses are made primarily through talking to and listening to the patient)...When I think about what makes a nerd a nerd, #1 on the list would definitely have to be a severe deficiency in communication skills...but, then again, I'd choose a nerd as my doctor any day over someone who wins popularity contests (class president, homecoming king/queen, basically any political position).

Communication skills are learned. Although I do think that some people are born with a better ability (or rather, desire...as in extroverted personalities) to communicate, much of the skills we have are learned throughout life, and they can always improve.

Besides, I think we have agreed that nerd =/= bad communication skills.

6"2" jock snowboarder. Definitely not a nerd. However, some of my best friends are nerds but I am trying to cure the gamers who live in an alternative universe.

so...nerds are short and dont snowboard?

Communication skills are learned. Although I do think that some people are born with a better ability (or rather, desire...as in extroverted personalities) to communicate, much of the skills we have are learned throughout life, and they can always improve.

Besides, I think we have agreed that nerd =/= bad communication skills.

I sure hope that these skills are being learned...Point in fact, a faculty member who is a buddy of my boss at the University of Michigan Medical School participated in a seminar focusing on how to improve the clinical skills of medical students. All they did was assign pass/fail grades to the clinical skill exams (which consisted of nothing more than asking basic patient history questions of simulated patients) of all University of Michigan M4's. The vast majority of the M4's received failing grades on these clinical skill exams based on a very simple set of grading criteria (i.e. did the student bother to ask why the patient is here today? etc). It became clear to everyone in the room that these students were lacking sufficient communication skills to do their jobs. This is scary, considering the high marks that University of Michigan graduates receive by residency directors (so I sincerely hope that they improve their communication skills during their residencies).

I sure hope that these skills are being learned...Point in fact, a faculty member who is a buddy of my boss at the University of Michigan Medical School participated in a seminar focusing on how to improve the clinical of Michigan graduates receive by residency directors (so I sincerely hope that they improve their communication skills during their residencies).

I habe gut kommunikation skillz. Zo Vy are you here today, ve vill take gut kare of you. Naechst!

so...nerds are short and dont snowboard?

Nerds aren't known for their athletic prowess. Here you people go-Does this describe people who answered that they are nerds?
Nerd, as a stereotypical or archetypal designation, refers to somebody who passionately pursues intellectual or esoteric knowledge or pastimes rather than engaging in a social life, participating in organized sports, or other mainstream activities. The Merriam-Webster definition is an "unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially: one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits."
I think the main thing to take away from this is that the person lacks involvement in the social aspect of life.

Nerds don't necessarily completely lack communication skills or have no social life. I can pass for normal when I want to (like during an interview or when talking to a professor), but around my friends I am a class-A nerd. I mean, I play D&D every Friday night instead of partying, but I don't see how that translates to no social life. I just don't like loud music or crowds. That doesn't mean I don't like hanging out with friends.

I am a nerd but I am NOT a dork or geek *lowers pants to 1 inch below rib cage and removes TI-83 from pocket*

People proudly calling themselves nerds usually are not. They are usually more concerned with image than anything substantive.

I agree that "nerd" is relative. It's not necessarily the kid who wears his pans unnecessarily high up the waist, wears thick glasses and is socially inept. Nerd is a way of being.

Bottom line is, if you hang out on SDN, chances are (we are talking about 99.999999999% chances here) you are a nerd.

I am one and proud of it. Although I get mad when people compliment on my "studiousness", especially if it's in a condescending way that seems to be saying "good girl, keep on studying...I'll be over here being normal." I am a nerd because I freaking want to, not because I want to please other people or be "good". :mad:

maybe you are a nerd because you have no choice? Just a guess

maybe being a nerd is the only thing ur good at? ; )

maybe being a nerd is the only thing ur good at? ; )

:rolleyes: Yeah, sure, whatever. That's the only thing I can say to end this conversation with someone who doesn't even know me. So, yeah, sure.

So with current poll standings, Pre-Allo is in fact Nerd City and could have an Ayatollah Nerd running the city. Assyrian non-nerds comprise a large and proud minority.

I sure hope that these skills are being learned...Point in fact, a faculty member who is a buddy of my boss at the University of Michigan Medical School participated in a seminar focusing on how to improve the clinical skills of medical students. All they did was assign pass/fail grades to the clinical skill exams (which consisted of nothing more than asking basic patient history questions of simulated patients) of all University of Michigan M4's. The vast majority of the M4's received failing grades on these clinical skill exams based on a very simple set of grading criteria (i.e. did the student bother to ask why the patient is here today? etc). It became clear to everyone in the room that these students were lacking sufficient communication skills to do their jobs. This is scary, considering the high marks that University of Michigan graduates receive by residency directors (so I sincerely hope that they improve their communication skills during their residencies).

I think it's a whole campus thing for UMich and Ann Arbor... we just enjoy listening to ourselves speak rather than what anyone else has to say

I think it's a whole campus thing for UMich and Ann Arbor... we just enjoy listening to ourselves speak rather than what anyone else has to say

That is a good point. Talking a lot doesn't mean someone has good communication skills. Communication is more than verbal, and listening and observational skills should also be included. :thumbup: