Is "Pre-Dent" really the BEST way to prepare for Dental School Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AMPDMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if I am making the smartest move at the outset of my college career. I am 100% dedicated to studying to be a DMD, and am ready to begin an all out pursuit from day one in college which I start in 2 weeks. I currently am enrolled at Bob Jones University as a Pre-Dent major, but with dental school admission so difficult it seems, I really want to gain the upper hand from day one in college so that in 4 years I'll be the most competitive candidate as possible. I plan on striving for a 4.0, and being an active member of the PMA, as well as continuing to shadow my orthodontist and dentist. I also plan on starting to study for the DAT (yes, 4 years in advance!) and plan on taking several practice DAT's. I'm basically hard core about being the best God has given me the ability to be in the dental field. My BIG question is, will being enrolled as a Pre-Dent Major really prepare me the MOST for dental school, and acceptance probability?

Members don't see this ad.

I seriously think that being a Pre-Dent Major doesn't make you get into a dental school easier because the admissions committee won't astounded just by the fact your a Pre-dent major. By having that major, you're most likely better prepared for the classes that you will have to take during dental school, but it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have that competitive edge. I'm a Bioengineering major and I originally wanted to be a Pre-dent major, but didn't get into the program. I found out later on that I really enjoyed my major and that it has some relevance to dentistry as well. I currently have 2 interviews with two dental schools and one of them is my top choice. My GPA isn't stellar but its ok (ever since I found my niche and got nothing less than a 3.7 for 3 semesters) and you do not need to study 4 years in advance for the DATs because that's just insane. If you were prepared well enough in your college courses, I would say study at max 6 months in advance before your test date. I tried studying for that a year in advance and that was sort of useless because you eventually forget some of the material you learned. ENJOY college because it is a once in a life time experience. Hope that helps!

Well considering not all schools even have "pre-dent" as a major (mine doesn't) and people go on to be a dentist, I would say that it's not necessary. Study something you LIKE because you are more likely to do well in it. Make sure you have your pre-reqs and some upper level science and you should be fine. Studying for the DAT now is a waste of time because if the test were to change in the next 2-3 years you'd have to adjust anyways. Wait until you have some background knowledge from your science courses and studying will be much easier and more efficient.

btw, I always wondered, when you declare pre-med or pre-dent as your major, what does it say on your BSc? My major was Anatomy and Cell biology and that's what it says on the degree, so I can't imagine getting a Bachelor of Science in pre-dent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think very few schools have a pre-med or pre-dent major...BUT IMO, if you do you seem committed from the start.
Then again, what classes do you take as a pre-dent major, probably the same that we all took...
I didn't pick my major till 2 years in, and it didn't make a difference at all.
I just took the classes I wanted.
Most pre-dents are MCB or some sort of Bio.

Just wondering if I am making the smartest move at the outset of my college career. I am 100% dedicated to studying to be a DMD, and am ready to begin an all out pursuit from day one in college which I start in 2 weeks. I currently am enrolled at Bob Jones University as a Pre-Dent major, but with dental school admission so difficult it seems, I really want to gain the upper hand from day one in college so that in 4 years I'll be the most competitive candidate as possible. I plan on striving for a 4.0, and being an active member of the PMA, as well as continuing to shadow my orthodontist and dentist. I also plan on starting to study for the DAT (yes, 4 years in advance!) and plan on taking several practice DAT's. I'm basically hard core about being the best God has given me the ability to be in the dental field. My BIG question is, will being enrolled as a Pre-Dent Major really prepare me the MOST for dental school, and acceptance probability?

Listings of jobs in the classified ads of local newspapers looking for pre dents or pre anything are rather scarce. It is best to choose a field of study that you are most interested in, while taking care of the pre reqs. On day one of college everyone has a 4.0 although there are significant changes by the end of the semester. It may be a little hard to start studying for the DAT at least until you have some courses under your belt. The only group with a lower percentage rate of acceptance than pre dents is that with no major.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=516945

Last edited:
My school (Stanford) didn't have a pre-dent major, and honestly I don't think it matters. In fact, I have no idea what a pre-dent major is, and it's probably a waste of time anyway.

In my opinion, I think besides wanting to get a high GPA, you're thinking way too much about this whole process. Yes, doing stuff like shadowing is good, but don't forget to go out and do some other totally random volunteer work, like teaching little kids about health, or building houses. If I were on a admissions committee, I'd rather see someone that's nice and well rounded, and will contribute to the diversity of the school's interests.

Honestly, if you're just looking to maximize your chances of getting into dental school, you're looking at college the wrong way. One, you probably would have gone to UoP or somewhere that gives you a fast track to dental school / guarantee's an interview if you maintain a GPA / DAT score. Two, college is for discovering yourself. There is a high probability you have no idea who you are, no offense.

Lastly, what the hell are you doing studying for the DAT now? You don't need to. Plus, you're essentially "studying" for the DAT when you take all your science classes like chemistry and biology.

That is all.