Is pre-med the right choice if you have kids and a spouse?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lost_ellie

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It was a long-lost childhood dream, but I'm not so sure if it's a practical choice.
I've been through an emotional rollercoaster. I quit college in order to get out of my parents' home because I was abused, even though they were paying for my college. I just couldn't stand it anymore. It's been about a year that I've been out, working a minimum wage job, being on food stamps, etc. I am pregnant now, and will hopefully go back to college next year because now I can fill out the FAFSA without needing parental information.
I have a spouse who will be starting a career pretty soon, and he can't really move around the country. I heard that if someone wants to be a doctor, they have to apply to lots of medical schools throughout the country, but I cannot do that because of my obligations to my family. I will have a child soon and need that child to grow up in a family.

I just want to know if any of you faced similar situations. I would love to be pre-med, but honestly I'm just not sure how practical it is if I have to stay within my state. Maybe I should still do the pre-med requirements, but have a major which can also turn into a career? Should I put medicine as just something I may or may not do, but still do the pre-med classes just in case? My GPA also isn't that great (3.3) because I failed a class because I couldn't concentrate due to my harsh environment with my parents.

Should I just become a nurse or something? I'm also not sure what I really want to be other than a doctor. Maybe teaching? Or human resources? I don't even know.

Any of you have experience being pre-med while you have a small child or children and a spouse who has a career?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry that you've had hardship, and I'm sure this can be answered in many different ways. The first thing that comes to mind is that DO schools are pretty darn understanding about cases like yours where a leave of absence from college is warranted. Also realize that there is also the route of being a PA that requires 2 years of school +1 to specialize if you want as compared to 4 years of medical school and then 3 of residency. I should note that being a PA is not in any way a cop out- the PA's that I've worked with, and also those that I currently go to school with love what they are doing, and still take home a very decent salary.
As Far as going to medical school: it can be done with a kid. My female classmates that have children make it work, and I'm sure if you want it bad enough, you could too. Also, remember that almost all students in medical school are on federal loans, which will cover the cost of living for you and family; most of the LDS students I go to school with support their families with a federal loan (probably a 1/4 of my class). And most students do need to move to go to school where they get in, but cross that bridge when you come to it.
Good Luck!