Is prosthodontics speciality worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bee123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very much interested in prosthodontics but I have heard mixed reviews.Can any established prosthodontist or resident guide me if its worth pursuing or not? Thank you all.God bless you.

Members don't see this ad.

If it is your passion and dream to be a prosthodontist, just follow your dream.

Reactions: 1 user
It's worth it in the Navy. They really want more prosthodontists. You will be sent to nice locations with very low probability of deployment. I understand you could request to deploy and won't get it because they need you so much elsewhere. I almost did it myself. If you're on a Navy scholarship, you can apply while in dental school and get sent to the Navy's pros program in DC area, avoiding tuition and getting paid about $100k a year while in residency. It's a sweet gig if that's what you want to do. I would highly recommend going military.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just graduated and had multiple opportunities. Worth pursuing in my mind because I love it. What more do you want to know?

Reactions: 2 users
I just graduated and had multiple opportunities. Worth pursuing in my mind because I love it. What more do you want to know?
Yes I like it too :). Thank you for taking time to reply I was just asking about it because some people claim that it's a dying speciality.

It's worth it in the Navy. They really want more prosthodontists. You will be sent to nice locations with very low probability of deployment. I understand you could request to deploy and won't get it because they need you so much elsewhere. I almost did it myself. If you're on a Navy scholarship, you can apply while in dental school and get sent to the Navy's pros program in DC area, avoiding tuition and getting paid about $100k a year while in residency. It's a sweet gig if that's what you want to do. I would highly recommend going military.
Thank you I will consider that for sure :)

Thank you I will consider that for sure :)
Keep in mind that you will be unable to apply for Navy (military) prosth program unless you are already affiliated with the Navy. That means if you are in dental school, you need to get into the HPSP or HSCP first. Which is double awesome because your payback will be concurrent.

Although you cannot apply for Navy Prosth, but if you have an admission from any prosth program, you can contact Navy and they will come on board and will take care of the rest. ( you will be recruited right away)

Keep in mind that you will be unable to apply for Navy (military) prosth program unless you are already affiliated with the Navy. That means if you are in dental school, you need to get into the HPSP or HSCP first. Which is double awesome because your payback will be concurrent.
Payback year can no longer be served out concurrently. This even includes AEGD/GPR. It's been like this for years now.

go travis!

Absolutely, there is nothing more amazing than working with a good Prosth person.. they are like aircraft engineers/mechanics vs just pilots (GP)

Reactions: 1 users
Prostho is a great specialty. And with all the new tech, it's a great time to get in the field.

Ideally, try to get into a program that doesn't charge much (or at all) and is well equipped with newer technologies - i.e. milling, stereolithographics etc.

Those that say its a dying specialty will learn eventually. I surely wouldn't want to get treated for a large, complex, multi-disciplinary case by someone without the specific training and experience to execute it. Especially with people living and keeping their teeth longer. It gives them more time to accumulate dental treatment that will eventually need revision.

Reactions: 2 users