is psych still for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering applying to psych this fall, and just came off my core psych rotation a few weeks ago. Towards the end of my rotation, my classmate got the feeling that our preceptor was "testing us" and baiting us to "take time off in the afternoon to read," and "go home before the last patient leaves because the patient does not want a student." It turned out that he was testing us, and I therefore both of us did not get such a stellar review. He also said I was not "sympathetic enough" when listening and interviewing. If this was compared to him saying "I am so sorry to hear that" about 15 times during the course of a patient interview, I guess he was right, but I saw that as repetitive, and we you overdue it, it is just not sincere.
Needless to say, this psychiatrist left a bad taste in my mouth, and I am trying not to let it get to me. Any advice on airing these feelings and re-establishing an objective outlook for my residency choice? I am really interested in addictions, and going to Betty Ford summer institute for med students in July.
Thanks for the venting room!

Members don't see this ad.

What a prick. Someone who feels the need to bait medical students FOR A GRADE has underlying personal issues. Please don't let the actions of one assclown totally cloud your perceptions of our field!

Remember, ultimately it is the patients who are your boss and your "daily grind" or workload. Did you enjoy helping to heal this patient population during your rotation? Were these folks you could connect with? Let those questions help find you your answers.

Don't let one jerk get you down. Why offer to let someone leave early if you want them to stay? That's just stupid. If you had insisted on staying even though he told you to go home and read he probably would have said you weren't eager enough to study.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're not going to like every psychiatrist you encounter. You're just feeling the sting since you're in the submissive position as med student.

The longer you come along, the less you care about other psychiatrists' opinions of you.

As soon as someone tells me I can leave all they see is a blazing trail of dust.