Is Public Health a smart bachelors degree option?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyAirbender

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this isn’t the right place, as this sub forum is for master/doctoral programs, but I can’t find anywhere else to ask. Are there actually job opportunities for those who graduate with a bachelors in Public Health? If so, what type of jobs? Or is this type of field just typically for a masters programs+. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

To be competitive in Public Health, you ought to have at least a master degree.

I have a bachelor's degree in Public Health (or I will here in about two months). I have already been hired for a job starting in January that pays well and seems interesting and fun. So, it is possible to work in public health directly out of undergrad with a public health bachelor's. But, it is far more common (and probably easier) to get a job in the field with a master's.

Public health is as fine an undergrad degree as any. But yes, most "entry-level" positions require a graduate degree or enrollment in a graduate program. If you have a public health undergrad degree, I'd actually recommend exploring non-MPH graduate degrees (unless you need the MPH training for some reason). If you're going into health administration, for example, you might consider an MBA over getting an MPH in health management.