This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which Should I Choose?

• Health Psychology

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Public Health

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

maybedoctor???

Reaction score
Hello all, I am trying to get my life together and figure out what kind of program I want to apply to.
Some background, I am currently in my junior year of college studying psychology and I plan on getting a PhD/ pursuing a research focused career. I originally planned on going to medical school, but decided it wasn't a great fit. I then jumped to clinical psychology, which I have been pursuing since around my sophomore year of college.
Currently, I am looking into health psychology/behavioral medicine. Ideally, I want to research the relationship between mental and physical health in order to better understand why poor mental health is associated with poor physical health, and vise versa. I think I could reach this goal with health psychology, but recently I've been wondering if public health is actually what I am looking for. What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it might be what you're looking for. Learning and investigating "why poor mental health is associated with poor physical health, and vise versa" is an important part of public health. You can get an MPH faster than you can earn a PhD, and still have a lot of great job options. I think you should seriously consider whether you want to spend the majority of your time practicing or researching, and having individuals or populations as your patients. That may help you decide.