1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is Re-taking AAMC Verbal passages worth it?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by sicboy188, May 13, 2008.

1. sicboy188

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i got two weeks left and my verbal score is sucking (sticking around 8). I have about 9 EK passages, but i feel like i need to take more 'full length' Verbal sections to make my stamina game proper.

i took AAMC 3-5, 4 weeks ago, 3 weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago respectively. I know the danger in doing these over is memorizing answers, but seeing that i did 3 about a month ago, i think this may not be an issue (who knows).

anyone else try this practice strategy...

thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cwfergus

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah do them again,
    If you feel that you just KNOW the answers, then go to a different passage, im sure a bunch you wont

4. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Have you checked out any bookstores around you for verbal material? In my case, I can't really redo tests because I memorize the answers. Anyway, give it a shot. It's still probably better than no practice at all. If you haven't already, you could also analyze your past tests.

5. sicboy188

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks for the responses.

i have access to kaplan's verbal sections, but have found them too be (as everyone else) too detail oriented and thus easily answerable by going back to the passage. i also do extensive review on my past tests (rereading the passage, taking trying to predict ans, and then looking at the answer choices). this has yet to show any impact on my scrore

i just re-did AAMC 3 and got a 10 (i previously got an 8). its totally inflated because i remembered some answers, but not all.

im trying to test out a new technique--focusing on a good read of the passage regardless of how long (with in reason) and answering the questions quickly while giving a cursory look to other answers choices. this worked for me early on, and i bailed on (i think i was getting greedy). we'll see how it fares on my next FL (thrus).

6. SN2ed

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Since you don't have much time left, I don't think switching verbal strategies this late is a good idea.

7. sicboy188

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yea i would tend to agree with you. however, my current strategy isnt working and my previous strategy worked well for me before. READ: i was getting a solid 10.

8. Deepa100

Deepa100 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I always do the verbal ones again after the test just to understand if it was my reading that caused the problem. If I get a higher score that means I have not read it well. If I get the same score again, the passages are just hard.