is recomping a class in the undergrad good or bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bishoy20

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, iam a biology major who is planning to apply to dental schools next year, i took organic I this semester but i did bad and ended up with a C+. My GPA is over 3.85 so far and i was wondering if i need to recomp (retake) this class or not. and if so, how dental schools consider me recomping a class and how is it going to be calculated in the GPA; in other words, do they take the better grade or take the average of both grades.,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks a lot for replying and i really appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

hi, iam a biology major who is planning to apply to dental schools next year, i took organic I this semester but i did bad and ended up with a C+. My GPA is over 3.85 so far and i was wondering if i need to recomp (retake) this class or not. and if so, how dental schools consider me recomping a class and how is it going to be calculated in the GPA; in other words, do they take the better grade or take the average of both grades.,,,,,,,,,,,Thanks a lot for replying and i really appreciate your help.

I went through a similar experience so i can tell you what happened to me. I had a strong undergrad. 3.7 or so for both overal (as a non-science major) and about the same or a 3.6 for science.

I did well in all my courses except I got a C in genetics. Not a C+, but a flat C. If this is one lone bad grade on your transcript, I wouldn't sweat it too much. You have options.

Option 1: do nothing. you've done well in school and will no doubt continue to do so. Nobody's perfect. I got into dental school and so can you. Now, harvard my not like c's, but it was good enough for me to get in to my top choce, i have 2 upcoming interviews, and i only applied to 5 schools.

Option 2: retake the course. My understanding is that you will effectively get the average of the two. The second grade would not erase the first. Retaking the course shows that you are dedicated and don't settle for less than what you are capable of (aside from getting the C+ in the first place :ninja: ). I presume you would get an A the second time around. Gives you another opportunity to talk about your dedication

The question is if it is worth your time. I didn't think so. I don't think it will kill your chances for having one bad grade. Just don't get another C and make sure to score strong on the Orgo section of your DAT.

Beyond that, nobody can make that choice for you.

I am convinced by your reply and your are right about all you said, good luck in your interviews,,,,best wishers for you

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering, what is your decision? To retake or not retake?

Just wondering, what is your decision? To retake or not retake?

i don't have an absolute decision so far, but most likely i will not take it again since it's not worth the effort. I found out that even if i get A next time, the average of both grades will be B which is not really good.

i think MNdental gives two solid options. If I were you, I wouldn't retake. I think having two semesters of orgo really offers an opportunity to compensate for that bad grade. i think doing poorly in orgo I and then recovering and doing well in orgo II shows a lot about a student's academic character. also, doing well on the OC section of the DAT gives another perfect opportunity to show that that was just a bad semester for you, and that you were able to sufficiently comprehend the material. good luck to you!

i think MNdental gives two solid options. If I were you, I wouldn't retake. I think having two semesters of orgo really offers an opportunity to compensate for that bad grade. i think doing poorly in orgo I and then recovering and doing well in orgo II shows a lot about a student's academic character. also, doing well on the OC section of the DAT gives another perfect opportunity to show that that was just a bad semester for you, and that you were able to sufficiently comprehend the material. good luck to you!

both of you are right and I think that retaking it might not help that much anyway, so I am thinking about going to Orgo II, do better then prepare to do good in the DAT.

I got a C plus in Orgo I too and never retook it. I have a 3.2 science and 3.4 overall. I got accepted Dec. 1st. Don't retake it.

I got a C plus in Orgo I too and never retook it. I have a 3.2 science and 3.4 overall. I got accepted Dec. 1st. Don't retake it.
congratulations friend, where are you going?

No dental school makes a decision about your admission based on a single grade! They're more interested in your overall progress. Nevertheless, if you think you can score better on the class, retake it! It's always a good thing to show the admission committee that you've put in the extra effort to improve your scores.