Is Research Really Necessary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drsmilez

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is research to medical schools? My major requires research, but you can't do their research until senior year, which is after you start applying, right? I work in a pediatrician's office as a clinician, I do tons of extracurriculars, and my GPA is good. If I didn't have research on my transcript, would that kill me? Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad.

When I asked my advisor about what kinds of things med schools like to see, I was told that research looks good. I was also told that clinical exposure is more important, and if I had to choose between research and volunteering/shadowing I should definitely choose the latter.

I don't know how it is when you want to go MD / PhD, though.

Jamie

I had absolutely ZERO research experience ... No interviewer even asked about it... but since I was an Economics major, the research I could have done would seem rather 'soft' to hard-core science researchers.

Don't think it hurts if you don't have it, but it probably is a plus if you do have it.

Simul

Members don't see this ad :)
The above posters are correct... you don't have to have research experience to get into an MD program.

However, for MD/PhD you DEFINITELY have to have research experience. In fact, you probably would need 2 years or more to have a good shot at getting admitted.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

Thanks guys! I will do research my senior year, but I don't have time to fit it in before because of my job and school. Hopefully I'll still get in!
biggrin.gif

If you are applying for MD program, I don't think research matters that much as long as you have volunteering experiences.
However, if you are thinking of applying for MD/PhD, basic science research is crucial.