1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Is Research Really Necessary

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by drsmilez, Apr 27, 2001.

1. drsmilez

drsmilez Junior Member

How important is research to medical schools? My major requires research, but you can't do their research until senior year, which is after you start applying, right? I work in a pediatrician's office as a clinician, I do tons of extracurriculars, and my GPA is good. If I didn't have research on my transcript, would that kill me? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jamier2

Jamier2 SDN Hillbilly Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

When I asked my advisor about what kinds of things med schools like to see, I was told that research looks good. I was also told that clinical exposure is more important, and if I had to choose between research and volunteering/shadowing I should definitely choose the latter.

I don't know how it is when you want to go MD / PhD, though.

Jamie

4. SimulD

SimulD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I had absolutely ZERO research experience ... No interviewer even asked about it... but since I was an Economics major, the research I could have done would seem rather 'soft' to hard-core science researchers.

Don't think it hurts if you don't have it, but it probably is a plus if you do have it.

Simul

5. The above posters are correct... you don't have to have research experience to get into an MD program.

However, for MD/PhD you DEFINITELY have to have research experience. In fact, you probably would need 2 years or more to have a good shot at getting admitted.

------------------
    "There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

6. drsmilez

drsmilez Junior Member

Thanks guys! I will do research my senior year, but I don't have time to fit it in before because of my job and school. Hopefully I'll still get in! [​IMG]

7. If you are applying for MD program, I don't think research matters that much as long as you have volunteering experiences.
    However, if you are thinking of applying for MD/PhD, basic science research is crucial.