Is research really that Important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crazyboi1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a 2nd year student at a DO school, and a lot of my classmates are pretty competitive and are gunning for really hard to get into specialities like surgery, etc. I have always wanted to be a primary care physician. I love family medicine, and have 0 interest in research. People are telling me how important research is, and I just don't wanna to do it for the sake of inflating my resume. I love medicine, and the clinical aspect of it. I see myself as a family practitioners, either doing residency in family practice or internal medicine. I just feel intimidated bc when i tell people about research they give me the eye. I am an above average student in my school. Averages tend to be 81-82, I usually get 85-87 on most tests, and am a solid B student. I find medical school pretty easy, and easy to balance. I just want to be a clinician at the end of the day. I also just plan on taking the COMLEX. Any tips?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a 2nd year student at a DO school, and a lot of my classmates are pretty competitive and are gunning for really hard to get into specialities like surgery, etc. I have always wanted to be a primary care physician. I love family medicine, and have 0 interest in research. People are telling me how important research is, and I just don't wanna to do it for the sake of inflating my resume. I love medicine, and the clinical aspect of it. I see myself as a family practitioners, either doing residency in family practice or internal medicine. I just feel intimidated bc when i tell people about research they give me the eye. I am an above average student in my school. Averages tend to be 81-82, I usually get 85-87 on most tests, and am a solid B student. I find medical school pretty easy, and easy to balance. I just want to be a clinician at the end of the day. I also just plan on taking the COMLEX. Any tips?

If you are set on family medicine or internal
medicine, then you'll be fine without research (unless you want to go to upper tier university programs).

On another note, I'm sure a lot of your gunner classmates will have different specialty desires this time next year. Hard to say you're competitive for anything until you get bored scores .

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile