Is 'resurrecting' Jesus & Mohammed offensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Might this 'resurrection' hinder my application?

• Yes

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 72.6%

• Total voters
qr321 said:
There is a lot of misinformation here.

Islam spread by the sword? :laugh:
Christians especially were allowed for the most part to keep their religion, they converted willfully if they did become Muslim. Also note, that Indonesia the most populated Muslim country in the world was not even taken by Islamic conquest. And today, Islam is the fastest growing religion in the U.S. and the world. Not by sword, but by free will.

Your knowledge of Islam is quite laughable. Read the Qur'an. Jesus is a MAJOR prophet in the Qur'an. There is a large chapter on the Virgin Mary as well. There are countless verses on the life of Jesus and his teachings. There was nothing gradual of adding Jesus. Don't make things up. From the beginning of the message of Muhammad, Jesus and all the other Israelite Prophets were a major part of revelation, because those Prophets brought the same message. Muhammad was culmination of all that.

Just to add to this point because many Christians don't realize what Jesus is to Muslims. He is one of the 5 major Prophets who had revelation, he is the Messiah who will return before the judgment day, he performed many miracles, he was sinless, he foretold the coming of Muhammad, he spoke in the cradle to defend his pure mother, among many other things. Don't act like these things were added gradually, that is just a false claim. They were in the beliefs in the time of the Prophet, before any Islamic expansion. They are in the Qur'an which was finished in revelation just before the death of Muhammad.

The Qur'an was revealed over a 23 year period through Muhammad. That Revelation has been intact, in the same exact language, with no changes, alterations, deletions, or interpolations for 1400 years since the death of Muhammad. It didn't spring down instantaneously, but it wasn't altered after it was complete and the timing is clear.

Islam co-opted Christianity? You know very little about Islam. If you read the Qur'an and other Islamic texts you will realize its teachings came to correct deviated beliefs of those who came after Christ and came to bring back the true teachings of Christ, this is what they say. The Qur'an testifies to the original teachings of Jesus, the Injeel, loosely known as the Gospel. How could it take things from Christianity when it gives its own unique insight into the original teachings of Jesus, in many ways, contradicting present-day Christian theology.

As others have pointed out, in Islam Moses, Jesus, and Muhammad brought the same divine religion at different stages in human history. According to Islamic doctrine, there is no contradiction between these different messengers. They merely came at different times, to a different context, and to different people, but the same message.

The followers of Christ in the early years after Jesus did not believe in those things that you told me. They were as much if not better followers of his teachings than the majority of Christians today. They were closer to Jesus and his teachings.

If you're gonna make claims about Islam, I advise you to actually study it yourself in depth from primary sources.

You see, I admire the absolutism of your beliefs. And I think it's good that you stick up for your faith and don't get all mamby-pamby about it by letting an infidel like me "take you to school."

Of course, you're just spouting propaganda. The moslems did not saunter casually into Asia Minor, for example, and finding nobody home set up their own civilization. They waged a long war for it and as it was conquered many of it's inhabitants, perhaps not as strong in their faith as others, saw which way the wind was blowing and made a quick conversion, life not being all roses and cream for the those in Dhimmittude.

In fact, the Moslem rulers of Asia Minor had one last gasp at spreading the good word through peace and gentle persuasion when they drove the last of the Christian Greeks out of what later became Turkey in the early 1920s, massacring many on the process and bidding the rest to go to the Devil. I believe similar persecutions are taking place today in the Sudan.

So come off it. How do you know the Koran wasn't edited, I mean other than the fact that Fatwas are issued to this very day agianst heretics who want to look into it? Am I to take your word for it? You sound pretty uncompromising, one might say absolutist. Is faith proof? Why should I believe you? You have a pretty big emotional stake in the issue.

Members don't see this ad.

I know it can be irresistible to try to answer/defuse blind believers, but it is hopeless.

Either way, can you guys just take this to the pre-theo/philo forum?

I think the mods enjoy having people argue about unresolvable issues.

STN: Student Theologian Network.

New threads:

*How much of the Old testament is on the MNAT? (Monastery & Nunnery Admissions Test)

*Anyone heard from Harvard Divinity School yet?

*Opportunities for missionary work overseas - should I go?

*Infidel business students making more money - is theology worth it?

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
panda and qr...why dont you guys settle this the old fashioned way? bust out some swords and fight to the death, a good ol christian vs muslim showdown.

but honestly, does it even matter who's right and who's wrong? you all worship the same god!

Rafa said:
I think the mods enjoy having people argue about unresolvable issues.

STN: Student Theologian Network.

New threads:

*How much of the Old testament is on the MNAT? (Monastery & Nunnery Admissions Test)

*Anyone heard from Harvard Divinity School yet?

*Opportunities for missionary work overseas - should I go?

*Infidel business students making more money - is theology worth it?

this has to be the funyest thread ever. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

How do I know the Qur'an wasn't edited? Very simple really. Find me two Qur'ans anywhere in the world, from any denomination, from the time it was compiled, they will be completely identical. The Arabic text itself has never been edited. In Islam, the translation is always an interpretation of the original and it is taken with a grain of salt. Btw, if you find the oldest Qur'an today from the early times after Muhammad, they will be the same exact Qur'an today. People memorized the verses in the Qur’an as they were revealed as the Arabs back then were great poets. The point of contention comes when people of different Arabic dialects would say the same word differently and this would be transcribed as that. Such as a transcriber writing down the word “you all” and “ya’ll,” different spellings of the same word. This was standardized early on because of the possible problem with this as time went on. Other than a few crazy sheikhs giving fatwas, you can study the linguistical and textual history all you want, it will prove itself.

You only call what I say propaganda because it is an alternate viewpoint to your customary education here regarding Islam. I suggest you do more reading on the spread of Islam from alternate sources. It is pointless to discuss this back and forth on a forum when it is difficult to articulate something in detail.

You call me absolutist? Is that what they call people who deal with facts? Someone who is arguing about something with facts is an absolutist? Oh have the days of discourse gone. It is interesting how you resort to name calling instead of attacking the arguments, a typical conservative. When you rely on Fox News for your information on Islam, it really shows my friend.

I don't want you to blindly accept anything. I think what I say is just a spring board for you to go research on your own. I hope you would do that and verify the things I said.

You failed to address any of my other points in my response, maybe you agreed with it. If you would like to continue this discussion, we could do it over PM because this discussion has gone beyond the scope of the thread and this internet forum. :)

qr321 said:
It is interesting how you resort to name calling instead of attacking the arguments, a typical conservative. When you rely on Fox News for your information on Islam, it really shows my friend.

Panda Bear, just like when i mentioned that book earlier, you failed to respond to that and i feel like you knowingly continue to mispell Muslims as "Moslems" and Qu'ran as Koran.

Theoretically if you did bring Jesus and Mohammed back which of the following would be the coolest?

1. Have them duel with Laser guns
2. Have them duel with swords (there can be only one)
3. Have them duel with lightsabers (A compromise)
4. Street Racing

No miracles allowed of course, that would be cheating.

Behold the power of MSpaint:
jvsm.PNG

I would pick something controversal. I don't think the Jesus(pbuh) and Mohammed(pbuh) picks are that controversal. Personally, I would LOVE to have dinner with the both of them, but since as a Muslim I already believe that Muhammed(pbuh) came down to confirm the message of Jesus(pbuh) it wouldn't make for much of a debate. I would want to bring back Malcom X and as him who he really thought was out to stop him and why. I would also invite Omar Torrijos to ask him if he thought Latin America's political structure was improving by the event of Chavez. I would also invite Rabia the mystic poetess and ask her of her devotion and love of God.

mostwanted said:
Panda Bear, just like when i mentioned that book earlier, you failed to respond to that and i feel like you knowingly continue to mispell Muslims as "Moslems" and Qu'ran as Koran.

What are you going to do? Have a "car swarm?" Burn my neighborhood down? Just like I supposed. You're pretty friggin' liberal with other people's religions but your own is built of fairy gossamer and icing and will not withstand the slightest criticism. Even a variation of spelling must be stamped out.

Hey, I thought Islam was a tolerant religion?

Dude. "Koran" and "Moslem" are accepted spellings. I'm not a Moslem. I don't sleep with the Koran. And I don't say "pbuh" after Mohammed. Not my bag. But if you ask me nicely and admit that Christ would clean Mohammed's (poobah) clock and then say "pretty please" I might think about changing the way I spell it.

"Poobah." Har har. Oh yeah.

Panda Bear said:
Good Lord. This is as stupid a question as "If you could be a tree, what kind would you be."

I feel sorry for all of you about to embark on the whole crazy process. If I had been asked a stupid question like that on a normal job interview I'd probably get up, shake the guys hand, and decline to continue the interview. Unfortunately, except for the small percentage of you who will get accepted to every medical school to which you apply, they have you by the short hairs.

I look foward to the day when I can go on a job interview again where I am on an equal footing with my potential employer. Maybe have them kiss my ass for a change.

Besides, Jesus would kick Mohammed's ass.
That this post inspired an actual debate is pitiful. A fitting passage:

"God will turn the joke against them
and allow them to sink deeper into evil
and wander perplexed in their wickedness.
They are deaf, dumb, and blind,
and shall never return."

TheOpsonizer said:
That this post inspired an actual debate is pitiful. A fitting passage:

"God will turn the joke against them
and allow them to sink deeper into evil
and wander perplexed in their wickedness.
They are deaf, dumb, and blind,
and shall never return."

Buddy, it's an internet forum, not a Vatican council. By definition the whole thing is kind of *****ic. Enjoy the debate and if you don't want to read it's not like your fingers have to travel ten miles through snow and broken glass to get to the delete key.

Medikit said:
Theoretically if you did bring Jesus and Mohammed back which of the following would be the coolest?

1. Have them duel with Laser guns
2. Have them duel with swords (there can be only one)
3. Have them duel with lightsabers (A compromise)
4. Street Racing

No miracles allowed of course, that would be cheating.

Behold the power of MSpaint:
jvsm.PNG

I'm offended that you would accuse Jesus of cheating. It's not his fault he can walk on water and that guy from Medina can't.

And it's "eeesoooos," not "Jesus." Don't let it happen again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panda Bear said:
Buddy, it's an internet forum, not a Vatican council. By definition the whole thing is kind of *****ic. Enjoy the debate and if you don't want to read it's not like your fingers have to travel ten miles through snow and broken glass to get to the delete key.

Heh, yes. You are right on that bit.

Listen Panda I feel bad about insulting you, I apologize. Its just that you claim to know so much about something you clearly do not. I don't know much about Christianity( nor do I go around calling it Xianity) and you don't see me claiming anything upon it. Want to know about who Jesus is in Islam? You keep claiming the posters on this board are saying stuff that is politically correct and not what they really think about Jesus but I assure you that is not true.

Chapter 19: Mary

The Story of Jesus according to the Quran: The Politically correct and incorrect

Relate in the Book (the story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place in the East.

She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent her our angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects.

She said: "I seek refuge from thee to (Allah) Most Gracious: (come not near) if thou dost fear Allah."

YUSUFALI: He said: "Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, (to announce) to thee the gift of a holy son.

She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?"

He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed."

At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought!

At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought!

: But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?"

He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah: He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet;

"And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live;

"(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable;

"So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"!

Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute.

It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is.

Verily Allah is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve ye: this is a Way that is straight.

It is He Who sent down to thee (step by step), in truth, the Book, confirming what went before it; and He sent down the Law (of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guide to mankind, and He sent down the criterion (of judgment between right and wrong).

qr321 said:
How do I know the Qur'an wasn't edited? Very simple really. Find me two Qur'ans anywhere in the world, from any denomination, from the time it was compiled, they will be completely identical. The Arabic text itself has never been edited. In Islam, the translation is always an interpretation of the original and it is taken with a grain of salt. Btw, if you find the oldest Qur'an today from the early times after Muhammad, they will be the same exact Qur'an today. People memorized the verses in the Qur’an as they were revealed as the Arabs back then were great poets. The point of contention comes when people of different Arabic dialects would say the same word differently and this would be transcribed as that. Such as a transcriber writing down the word “you all” and “ya’ll,” different spellings of the same word. This was standardized early on because of the possible problem with this as time went on. Other than a few crazy sheikhs giving fatwas, you can study the linguistical and textual history all you want, it will prove itself.

You only call what I say propaganda because it is an alternate viewpoint to your customary education here regarding Islam. I suggest you do more reading on the spread of Islam from alternate sources. It is pointless to discuss this back and forth on a forum when it is difficult to articulate something in detail.

You call me absolutist? Is that what they call people who deal with facts? Someone who is arguing about something with facts is an absolutist? Oh have the days of discourse gone. It is interesting how you resort to name calling instead of attacking the arguments, a typical conservative. When you rely on Fox News for your information on Islam, it really shows my friend.

I don't want you to blindly accept anything. I think what I say is just a spring board for you to go research on your own. I hope you would do that and verify the things I said.

You failed to address any of my other points in my response, maybe you agreed with it. If you would like to continue this discussion, we could do it over PM because this discussion has gone beyond the scope of the thread and this internet forum. :)

Hey qr321. I really don't think Panda Bear is one of those open-minded people who will really listen to your (or my) view of things, so these lengthy discussions may seem futile and circular. BUT please don't take it to PM because some of us enjoy reading these - if we didn't we could create a new thread like the original one this one is titled after....
I for one feel like I'm learning a lot and am pretty addicted to this particular thread....

don't forget:

bob ross

and mr. rogers!

lilmissangel,

Yeah I just read his previous posts, and they were very insulting. I mistook him for someone who actually wanted to open a discourse, not someone who just liked to insult others. I hope others benefited though. Thanks. :)

Jesus and Mohammad by u_r_my_serenity:

Jesus and Mohammad sat across a stream in Heaven in perfect serenity. Mohammad sat quietly in deep meditation just as he used to do. Jesus knew that in his meditation Mohammad was striving for things unseen and indeterminate, wrestling with convictions which surpass the understanding of any mere man.

Jesus remembered how Mohammad took cold and calculated men- full of sterile contemplation, considering only what reasons lay before them, moved only by such love as self preservation may engender- and called them to acts of greater goodness than prudence would suggest.

Jesus could see that nothing had yet changed with his friend, Mohammad, who was just as glorious as ever. Jesus also remembered his own greatness. He recounted the men who would not believe, yet believed, through his miracles. Suddenly Jesus asked aloud, "There's so much that I did, but what could I do now to see if I still have the power?"

"Walk on water as ye did in times past," replied Mohammad.

So Jesus found within himself the resolve for a miracle and confidently stood affront the Heavenly stream. He took three steps on the surface and then sank under the crystal waters. Dumbfounded, he looked at Mohammad and wondered what was the matter.

"Must be those bloody holes in your feet," Mohammad responded.

Fortune said:
Listen Panda I feel bad about insulting you, I apologize.

I also apologize for my sarcasm. What I'm trying to say that while it may be true that the Koran acknowledges Jesus, it does not recognize that he was the only Son of God and God at the same time. Nor does it recognize Christ's Ressurection and that salvation comes only through Him. Not very important distinctions, I realize, for those who are not faithful Christians and ,as I said, believe that both Islam and Christianity are nothing but superstitious mumbo-jumbo.

So you see, the argument is not really about which religion is right or wrong but whether there are differeces between religions. The politically correct for whom religion is merely an echo chamber for the prevailing political paradigms profess respect for religon until we get to the sticky parts about submission to God, worship, and other politically inconvenient topics like judgement and absolute morality.

I think we both agree that in Christianity, as in Islam, you can't pick and choose what to believe based on your own comfort. Religion is not internal but external. It is not "all in our heads." But if it was then there would indeed be no difference what we believed.

Is that clear?

lilmissangel said:
Hey qr321. I really don't think Panda Bear is one of those open-minded people who will really listen to your (or my) view of things, so these lengthy discussions may seem futile and circular. BUT please don't take it to PM because some of us enjoy reading these - if we didn't we could create a new thread like the original one this one is titled after....
I for one feel like I'm learning a lot and am pretty addicted to this particular thread....

I am not "open-minded," at least not to the extent that I have no opinions and can't decide what I believe. Didn't I say this earlier? I might as well say that you are not "open-minded" because you refuse to agree with me. (Which is the modern definition of being "open-minded.")

I'm sorry that your education has been stunted by political correctness. It is a very narrow window through which to view the world.

Panda Bear,

I fully agree with what you said. I think that political correctness does hinder knowledge. Although I believe that people should speak in a manner of respect to one another, we should also be honest and voice our positions without fear of being looked down upon. If "educated" individuals would actually indulge in thoughtful honest debate, rather than holding mock debates where no one says what they really mean and everyone leaves with superfical agreement, we might actually realize a more accepting and harmonous(is that a word?) world.

Panda Bear said:
I am not "open-minded," at least not to the extent that I have no opinions and can't decide what I believe. Didn't I say this earlier? I might as well say that you are not "open-minded" because you refuse to agree with me. (Which is the modern definition of being "open-minded.")

I'm sorry that your education has been stunted by political correctness. It is a very narrow window through which to view the world.

No, the definition of open-minded, modern or otherwise, is to listen to others and be open to the possibility that your view might be wrong. I know it might be a novel idea to you, but you really don't know everything and therefore your understanding of even your own religion should not be set in stone.

lilmissangel said:
No, the definition of open-minded, modern or otherwise, is to listen to others and be open to the possibility that your view might be wrong. I know it might be a novel idea to you, but you really don't know everything and therefore your understanding of even your own religion should not be set in stone.

Are you open to the possibilty that religious belief is set in stone? Dogma may change, of course, and they may start eating pork but the belief that there is no God but God and Mohammed is his prophet is pretty fundamental to Islam and if the Moslems one day decide that this isn't true then what's the point of being a Moslem?

Same with Christianity and the Ressurection. If we decide one day that it never happened we might as well just give it up and turn the churches into museums.

Being open-minded is fine but you also have to be ableto discriminate between ideas. Islam and Christianity are not the same. The differences are not just window dressing nor do the devout of both faiths view them as interchangable.