Is retaking a good option here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
Long story short, I am bummed after calculating the GPA from my other institution (I guess in my state of dream land and just getting excellent grades this semester made me realize oh... I royally F'ed up before I came here!!) I received a D in a Botany course that is weighing me down big time. I would take it for grade replacement, but with my schedule at my new school, it seems nearly impossible. Should I take more upper level math/science courses to balance it out or just attempt to retake it (and load myself up even more) since I have already seen (as well as have the old material and exams.)
Advice?
sGPA: 2.85
cGPA: 2.91
other GPA: 3.00
(All from the AMCAS grade calculator spread sheet)

Members don't see this ad.

What year are you in? How many credits are in that GPA? This is important in assessing ow hard it would be to raise the GPA by your 4th year. If it's just your first semester or something it shoudn't blow you out of the water. Regardless just focus on doing the best you can from now on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am at 54 total semester hours and I am currently a sophomore. I took a semester off to regroup, and it was the best decision I have ever made.
EDIT: I fibbed, and forgot about a Pathophysiology course I took over the summer. MY (actual) GPA is below:
cGPA: 2.945
sGPA: 2.908
other GPA: 3.004

Members don't see this ad :)
I am at 54 total semester hours and I am currently a sophomore. I took a semester off to regroup, and it was the best decision I have ever made.
EDIT: I fibbed, and forgot about a Pathophysiology course I took over the summer. MY (actual) GPA is below:
cGPA: 2.945
sGPA: 2.908
other GPA: 3.004

Are there any other grades (C/D/F) holding you back? I'd retake those.

Classes with the lowest grades:
Botany: D
gen chem 1: C- (retaking spring 2014)
other courses:
history C+
literature C

Those are my lowest grades.

Classes with the lowest grades:
Botany: D
gen chem 1: C- (retaking spring 2014)
other courses:
history C+
literature C

Those are my lowest grades.

So I figure your GPA is low because you have a lot of Bs/B-... retaking gen chem 1 is the highest priority and possibly literature (unless you fulfilled the English prereq already). I wouldn't stress out on botany and history (i.e. don't retake those two) and aim on getting As from now on. Because you are currently a sophomore, your GPA will increase greatly as long as you keep pulling As (i.e. avoid getting A-/Bs).

Thanks Agent B! I have already fulfilled the English pre-req (got an A) You are right. I was lazy my first couple semesters, because I did not know what I wanted. However now that I know I am capable of A's, that is what I am getting.