Is schizophrenia the end of medical school aspirations? (Not me.)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wormboge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On behalf for a student I am tutoring, I am wondering if a schizophrenia diagnosis means that you cannot go to medical school or practice medicine as a physician?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On behalf for a student I am tutoring, I am wondering if a schizophrenia diagnosis means that you cannot go to medical school or practice medicine as a physician?

Not necessarily.

But realistically, it's very unlikely.

Reactions: 1 user
In Many (most? All?) states they would be disqualified from obtaining a medical license.

Possible? Sure, it is possible to be a physician with just about any diagnosis.
From a practical perspective, no it would be next to impossible to do so. In the state that I practice, you would not be able to get a medical license. You wouldn't likely be outright rejected, but upon reviewing your application, it is hard to imagine them approving it.

Reactions: 1 users
Elyn Saks - Wikipedia

Not a physician, but still a highly successful person with schizophrenia. I'd argue it's possible. You are never asked to disclose, but when you apply, you must agree to the technical standards set by each school. Georgetown, for instance:

Technical Standards for Admission and Graduation
The real difficulties would arise when it came time to get your license. Medical boards in many, if not the vast majority, of states would be reluctant to grant someone with schizophrenia a license unless they had been well controlled for many years and had a very firm attestation from said individual's psychiatrist.

I mean, under what circumstances did a diagnosis come about? Way too much context to answer anything here, though as people alluded to upthread, if you're having problems that could even be misdiagnosed as schizophrenia, being able to survive med school seems really really unlikely.

I think it might depend? From what I've noticed from having a sibling diagnosed with it, then having it changed to schizoaffective disorder, it would be incredibly hard. I think it would depend on how long you had it, whether you're in control of it, and concurrent disorders. It also depends on also if you managed to fibd the treatment fast. You could theoretically, but itll be hella hard.