PH7.4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
Non-Student
If you don't match and you scramble, is that the same as matching (that is, if you don't take the spot, are you match violating?)

What if you don't use ERAS? If ERAS isn't involved, did you technically scramble?

And if you did, would you be match violating if you backed out?

I hope this is clear. If anyone knows, I'm desperate for answers.

aProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Scrambling has nothing to do with the match (other than the NRMP managing the open spots list). Nothing you do in the scramble can create a match violation if you didn't match)

Backing out of a scramble contract is a legal problem on it's own, but has nothing to do with the match.

PH7.4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2005
Status
Non-Student
aProgDir,

Your reply is priceless. Many thanks.

-p7

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Backing out of a scramble contract is a legal problem on it's own, ...
I think this needs to be emphasized. If you signed a contract, it's a breach of contract to back out. There are always potential legal ramifications so you shouldn't do this loosely. And while technically not a "match" violation, it's not necessarily a risk free endeavor to back out. I'm a bit concerned by your post that this is what you were trying to get as a takehome message.

thedrjojo

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
To make our schools numbers look better, the Dean sure thinks scrambling is matching... at our match day ceremony, he pronounced a 100% match rate, even though we had several people have to scramble to get a spot (a better statement would be 100% placement rate)... but in what you are asking, no, scramble is not matching.

Musashi450

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
St. Louis
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I agree that technically (and for the OPs sake) matching is scrambling...but with the exception of the contract business....at the end of the day does it really matter?

I only say this because rumors fly quick at most schools (my own included) and you start to hear "....ohhhh x person didn't match but they found a spot in the scramble" Hearing this has been getting under my skin.

1. Not our business! Their were much smarter and all around great people I know that scrambled this year. I'm frankly just VERY grateful to have a spot.

2. At the end of the day, they will have a job starting at the same time and at a similar if not higher salary than me.

Having a dean or someone pronounce 100% match if some also scramble doesn't really bug me if its to us 4th years on match day. Telling that to a group of premed applicants though trying to weigh programs....that's a no no