Is sending an MD LOR a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Green912

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a letter of recommendation from my fire departments medical director that I'm sending to my allopathic schools, but should I not sent it to osteopathic ones? The two that I'm applying to are Ohio Univ-COM and LECOM. Both would like to see DO letters which doesn't automatically exclude MD, but would on still be a strike against me?

Members don't see this ad.

Most DO schools will accept an MD letter, but maybe only as an extra letter instead of in lieu of a DO letter. Can you get a letter from a DO?

I had 2 DO letters and 1 MD letter. My school requires a DO letter but will allow you to send in extras. My advice would be to call the admissions offices and ask them.

I'm working on getting a letter from an Emergency Department DO that I kind-of know but the conversation was pretty painful. I lead in with "Dr. X if you have time later I'd like to talk to you about Osteopathic medicine..blah blah....". He then gave me a quick 2 minute summary and pretty much said that there's no difference and stared at me. I got nowhere. He's a nice enough guy but seems a little eccentric. I guess that what being a Ph.D. and DO can do to you (joke). I'll try to salvage that contact and otherwise might cold call a FP DO down the road and see if I can shadow him. Oh well. You gotta learn to love the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrMom
Probably not a bad idea.

I agree - just pick up the phone and call. That's what almost all students do who are looking for DO letters of recommendation.

And definitely send the MD letter in addition to the DO letter (when you get it). The more recommendations you have, the better.

Good luck in the whole crazy application process - eventually it will come to an end!

I sent both MD and DO letters. At the interview they asked me whole bunch of question about the DO how I know him and all that but did not ask any thing about the Md one.

I have to say, this whole idea of "cold calling" or otherwise pestering a DO to get a letter is kind of contrary to what the real purpose is. I'm not criticizing you pre-DO's for doing it, I just think it's kind of crazy that it oftentimes ends up like this.

I worked with a couple of DO's in a hospital a few years ago and tried, unsuccessfully, to contact them. I also tried contacting a DO who actually wrote a letter for me the 1st time I applied (1993), but she politely referred me to several DO's in my area to bother.

Ultimately, I never got a letter. I decided that I'm just going to tell them in the interview that I tried the 3 DO's who I actually knew, but couldn't get a letter from any of them. I'm also going to say that I felt it was disingenuous for me to just track down an anonymous DO who I have no relationship with just to get a letter. There's not much else I can do.

I really don't like the idea of approaching a DO who I've never had any contact with, but I have to do something. LECOM requires a DO letter to even be considered. To be honest I really don't understand the hangup with wanting DO letters. I'm applying DO and MD both of which I consider to be on equal footing. I haven't seen one allopathic school say they must have or even "highly recommend" an MD letter. As I've treked further into the DO world I consistantly hear how DO's are no different than others and go through the same training. So why try to segregate themselves by assuring that a prospective student has looked into their world before applying. I'm probably only venting because I'm having a hard time obtaining a letter. Otherwise I'd be smiling on my merry way. In the end I definetly still want to apply to both programs, but hope I won't be limited because of a letter.

Originally posted by Toejam
I have to say, this whole idea of "cold calling" or otherwise pestering a DO to get a letter is kind of contrary to what the real purpose is.
I agree with you, but if the ones you know won't give you a letter you don't have much of a choice.

Fortunately, I'm only applying to COMP and they don't require a DO letter (though they would like one). I'm comfortable with the idea that I don't have a letter from a DO.

I also agree with the one poster who can't understand why it's such an imperative that we seek out a DO. DO's function exactly like MD's in the health care world so what are they going to tell us or teach us that would be any different than an MD?? If the schools really us to see DO's because they'd offer something different, then they should require us to find one who utilizes OMT in their practice.

I got accepted at Touro with only an MD letter of req. They say they preferred a letter from a DO but wouldn't hold it against you if you couldn't get one. They recognize that it may be difficult to find a DO to get you a letter. Check with the school, explain your situtation, i.e. I have been unable to find a DO that was willing to let me shadow them, etc.. etc. but I have had numerous MD's that know I am applying to osteopathic schools and are willing to write me a letter of recommendation to attend your school.
I had an MD that knew me very, very well and knew that I wanted to attend a DO school and was very supportive of my goals. Her letter of req was incredible and it was very clear that she knew me very well. The fact that she knew me very well was more important to Touro than the letters behind her name.

I had no D.O. letter and was just interviewed at WesternU/COMP. I think they would rather have a good M.D. letter than a not-so-good D.O. letter. That was my impression. Best wishes!

The words are probably self explanatory but do schools that state they REQUIRE a DO letter simply put your application aside as imcomplete. Are they as inflexible as it sounds. Specifically LECOM.