Is september and Octobor too late for away rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ideas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of taking step 2 in July and finishing up my research in August. That would leave me with September and Octobor for away rotations. . . would that be too late? I feel like I need to take my step 2 relatively early due to my step 1 score. . .

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I did away rotations in September and October. Some told me that this may not be wise, because it would be "too late" to get letters of recommendation (ERAS can be submitted on September 1). I disagree. It seems like most programs don't get around to looking at your application until mid-October at the EARLIEST. I think if you get letters in by then, you should be fine. I got a great letter from my September rotation, and got it posted to ERAS in plenty of time. However, I did need to communicate to my letter-writers the abbreviated timeline that I was working under so that they would submit the letter with more expediency.

One benefit to doing later rotations (potential benefit I should say) is that you are less likely to have other med students on the rotation, so you will have your pick of which attendings to work with. You also get to leave a good impression right before they are wading through applications (you'll likely get an interview anywhere you rotate anyway, but it can't hurt to impress them right before they're about to interview the competition).

Anyway, I think your plan is fine. :cool:

I did aways during these months. It was not a problem and in some ways its good because its closer to the interview selection date and the PDs tend to remember you more than the person who did the rotation in July.

A big disadvantage is that October its a little late for a letter (September is ok). If you need to get a letter from an away you may want to consider doing it earlier. You should know that depending on how the rotation is set up you may not have enough interaction with one attending to get a great letter. On one of my aways I got to work with everyone in the department but I never worked with anyone more than two or three times. I think it is a little risky to ask for a letter from someone you don't know well even if it is a big name. But that's just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
See I could possibly take step 2 in octobor and do away rotations in August and Sept. . . . but then I run into the question is Oct too late for me to take step 2 CK with a step 1 under 220?:confused: