Quantcast

Is September too late to apply to optometry school

OATBooster | The Ultimate OAT Resource
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joy88

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm taking the OAT next month on June 4th. I'm hoping to do well the first time but if I need to take it again, I would have to take it in September because of the 90 day waiting period. Would September be too late to apply to optometry school? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You :)

bkaDOC

Reaction score
You can still submit your application with your OAT completed. Most schoosl start taking applications as of July 15th but your OAT doesn't have to technically be completed until around March 1st.

joy88

Reaction score
I'm hoping to have all my applications out mid august if the OAT goes well the first time, but if I need to take it again in September, then I would have to send my applications then. I just want to make sure I have all my applications out on time. If you don't mind me asking, when are you applying to optometry school or are you an Optometry Student?

thecgrblue

Enjoyin' the journey
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the OAT in October last year and had all my applications in by early November. Accepted to the schools I interviewed at shortly after.

The pro of applying early is that if your GPA is banging and your OAT isn't so much you could have a better chance of getting in compared to doing the same a few months later.

Take the OAT, submit your applications July 15th or as soon thereafter. If you do terrible (sub 300 TS/AA) then 100% plan on taking it over. If you don't...you'll probably hear from schools and if your school isn't what they're looking for they'll tell you to take it over again.

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes, apply as early as possible, rolling admissions. September is fine. I wrote my OAT in September and I got accepted to my first school in November and got accepted to all I applied to. I had sub-par stats. Good luck!

Bioflare

I'm on a boat!
Reaction score
I'm hoping to have all my applications out mid august if the OAT goes well the first time, but if I need to take it again in September, then I would have to send my applications then. I just want to make sure I have all my applications out on time. If you don't mind me asking, when are you applying to optometry school or are you an Optometry Student?

You should be fine applying by September.

I have experience as a very late applicant, I've been accepted to 3 optom schools (NECO,ICO,PCO). I applied in mid-late february so September is good time.

Just remember you have to get your transcripts in before you application is sent out to the schools. OptomCAS is not the fastest in processing transcripts, during December-February there was a 2-6 week processing time.

GL

banoo

Reaction score
hi
I am trying to apply to optometry schools for 2012, however im confused about how the application process works, each school tells me different things. I was wondering if anybody who has gotten in has good advices for me to follow? I am done with all my pre-reqs, however I have not takent he OAT yet, I am planning to take it in September. I know OPTOMCAS application starts on July 1st this year. My science GPA is not that high so the doctor I work for told me to wait and take the OAT and if I do good then apply to schools, however some schools told me its the best to apply ASAP and then just submit my OAT score later, However I am afraid that since my Science GPA is not that high and if I take the OAT the first time and not get the score I am looking for, it will look really bad for my application. What do you guys think I should do? submit my applications then send my OAT score? or just wait and take the OAT and see how I do then submit applications?
thank you so much

Shnurek

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi
I am trying to apply to optometry schools for 2012, however im confused about how the application process works, each school tells me different things. I was wondering if anybody who has gotten in has good advices for me to follow? I am done with all my pre-reqs, however I have not takent he OAT yet, I am planning to take it in September. I know OPTOMCAS application starts on July 1st this year. My science GPA is not that high so the doctor I work for told me to wait and take the OAT and if I do good then apply to schools, however some schools told me its the best to apply ASAP and then just submit my OAT score later, However I am afraid that since my Science GPA is not that high and if I take the OAT the first time and not get the score I am looking for, it will look really bad for my application. What do you guys think I should do? submit my applications then send my OAT score? or just wait and take the OAT and see how I do then submit applications?
thank you so much

what is your sGPA and cGPA and which college are you in? If you don't want to say then is it private/public?

Bioflare

I'm on a boat!
Reaction score
hi
thank you so much

Well I'm just going to say this from talking with the admission at some of the Optometry schools. If they see an applicant without OAT scores, with a good gpa they might invite for an interview without OAT, but will wait for the OAT scores before offering admittance. For those with reasonable gpa, they might still offer you an interview without OAT. What they deem reasonable no one really knows exactly.

What I'm trying to say is that if your GPA is within the 2.9-3.2 (I'm assuming this is what you mean by not that high) you might as well apply early. At worst they will just wait till your OAT scores are sent in before reviewing your file. They will not reject you with that GPA range.

Rhodopsin

Reaction score
Yeah September should be totally fine, it's obviously not the earliest time you could apply but I'd still consider it quite early. I applied as late as February and was accepted. Good luck on that OAT!

robinchm

Reaction score
Hi Everyone! I'm taking the OAT next month on June 4th. I'm hoping to do well the first time but if I need to take it again, I would have to take it in September because of the 90 day waiting period. Would September be too late to apply to optometry school? Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank You :)

I am also taking my OAT this Saturday and have the same plan to take it again if need be in September. I called several schools and they were all OVERJOYED i was taking it as early as June 4th and happy to see the initiative I was taking and said that even if I have to re-take it, apply in July still and then put on the optomcas app that you plan to retake it. GOOD LUCK!

MBAeyes

Reaction score
Shnurek, what were your stats if you don't mind telling?

Last edited: