Is September too late to take it ?

skeletor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm boiling with anticipation for July 15th to start the OptomCas.

Unfortunately I have not signed up yet for the OAT :(

I've been studying since May, but I don't think I'll be ready until September. Is that too late ? Or should I grow some and take it in August ?

The optometrist I'm shadowing took it in the fall, but then that was over 10 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been studying since May, but I don't think I'll be ready until September. Is that too late ? Or should I grow some and take it in August ?

The optometrist I'm shadowing took it in the fall, but then that was over 10 years ago.

Thanks for your input.

No it is not too late but you have to realize that there will be plenty of people who will have completely submitted their applications by then. Applications start earlier this year with OptomCas, so if you can get everything else finished and submitted before taking your OAT, then you won't have to worry about it afterwards. Plus I think it takes a few weeks for the OAT scores to officially be sent to the schools.

I studied for 3 months but took about 3-4 weeks off in the middle due to personal reasons and managed to score very well. Four months of studying seems like a long time, I think two to three months of studying is plenty as long as you are disciplined.

Thanks for your input.
It's not too late. If you feel your application is not very strong, however, you should make sure that is the last thing that needs to be submitted because you'll have a much better chance the earlier you apply. However, if your grades are relatively strong and you feel confident about the OAT, you should be fine. There are many people who take the test very late or submit their applications relatively late in the cycle and still make it. FYI, I took my OAT in late September (last year), and didn't have my applications completed until in late October/early November and had no problems at all.