Is six Letters of Recommendation too few or good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoPenguinsGo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 from MD's (one whom I've shadowed and the other who knows me super well for a long time), a DO whom I have shadowed, my Oral Communications professor who specializes in Medical Communication, and two of my Chemistry profs who know me very well.

If 6 is too many, who should I leave out?

Members don't see this ad.

LORs differ based on the schools. Get as many good ones as you can. You may want to get some more science LORs... and maybe another NONscience one just to be safe!

So I have 2 from MD's (one whom I've shadowed and the other who knows me super well for a long time), a DO whom I have shadowed, my Oral Communications professor who specializes in Medical Communication, and two of my Chemistry profs who know me very well.

Too many shadowing letters. Get some other letter that speaks about something else about you.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Shadowing letters are the lowest of the low in importance when it comes to letters

6 is way too many...for the schools that want fewer than 6.
Very few MD schools want shadowing letters. Ugh, they deserve what they get.

All six of those letter writers know me very well and will writing glowing recs. For schools who only want 3 letters (like Loyola I just found out), who should I keep: either of the MDs, the DO, Oral Comm prof, or either of the two Chemistry profs?

All six of those letter writers know me very well and will writing glowing recs. For schools who only want 3 letters (like Loyola I just found out), who should I keep: either of the MDs, the DO, Oral Comm prof, or either of the two Chemistry profs?
Look at the specific requirements for each of the schools to which you apply. DO letters are powerful at DO schools. Most MD schools find physician letters "meh" at best (unless they were also a PI, long term employer...).

The problem with physician letters is that they are all glowing! We are congenitally incapable of writing a letter that is anything but glowing (and everyone knows it). Thus, they are useless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user

Check the school websites; some schools will have a limit of 3 LORs while others have the limit of 10 LORs.

For those that only have 3 LORs, you should have your science and non-science professors' LORs there.

I've been doing very well with only a committee letter, not that one anecdote proves anything. I thought the 6 profs that had input on it knew me way better than any other possible letter writer.