1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is sports medicine a specialty?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hilikus, Mar 19, 2004.

1. hilikus

hilikus Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Please forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject but I was just curious.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sharkfan

Sharkfan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not one in the sense of something you go into residency for, but after residency there are fellowships available. Sports medicine is kind of broad, and there is a lot of leeway in a career path down that road. You can do ortho, pm&r, or even FP and from that point do a fellowship in sports med related to your specialization. It all depends on what level you want to deal with athletes: surgery and acute injury treatment, rehabilitation and pain management, or primary, non-surgical treatment.

I want to go into sports med and am still in learning about all this; I would recommend just surfing and searching in order to learn more.

4. carrigallen

carrigallen 16th centry dutch painter
    10+ Year Member

Yes =)

It is a fellowship training done after you do a regular residency.

For example, family practice has a sports medicine fellowship, I'm not sure how long it is, maybe 2 years.

5. coachB

coachB full fledged member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    most fp sports fellowships are one year. ucla is two. that is the only exception that i am aware of.