is step 2 necessary if step 1 score is high?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coco09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I met with my Dept Chair of Radiology today and he mentioned that the program likes to see Step 2 scores in addition to Step 1. He said that the step 2 validates a good step 1 score.

I have a high step 1 score, and the general consensus has been that I can take Step 2 late. But, now, since I talked to the Dept. Chair, I'm considering taking my Step 2 earlier and have it available for programs. It is a bit of a risk, since I could do poorer on Step 2, thus negating my good Step 1 score.

What do people think? Do other programs like to see Step 2 even if Step 1 is good? It seems that since matching is so competitive, every extra brownie point seems to help.

Members don't see this ad.

Most programs don't care.

But if you have the time to study and think you can do better, go for it. Most people do better on Step 2 as compared to Step 1 (from what I hear anyway)

My personal move? I'm staying put. My Step 1 score and pre-clinical grades speak for themselves. The gaping hole comes in my clinical grades. :p

I met with my Dept Chair of Radiology today and he mentioned that the program likes to see Step 2 scores in addition to Step 1. He said that the step 2 validates a good step 1 score.

I have a high step 1 score, and the general consensus has been that I can take Step 2 late. But, now, since I talked to the Dept. Chair, I'm considering taking my Step 2 earlier and have it available for programs. It is a bit of a risk, since I could do poorer on Step 2, thus negating my good Step 1 score.

What do people think? Do other programs like to see Step 2 even if Step 1 is good? It seems that since matching is so competitive, every extra brownie point seems to help.

There are certain medical schools that require step 2 that require it before you start 4th year. Certain top radiology programs require it to apply, but the majority dont.

Its like black jack, you've got a Jack and a Nine, do you want to hit or stand?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely stand except for when they my school tells me step 2 has to be in for AOA :mad:. Guess I have to take the gamble and hope for the few aces or dueces in the deck:rolleyes:

Like your chair said it only further VALIDATES your step 1 . If you do poorly on step 2 that could really invalidate your good step 1 and make you less competitive. Its a risk assessment. For me AOA is worth the risk.

Lol. I battled with this question immensely. I prayed and took the hit.... Got the deuce!

I would definitely stand except for when they my school tells me step 2 has to be in for AOA :mad:. Guess I have to take the gamble and hope for the few aces or dueces in the deck:rolleyes:

Like your chair said it only further VALIDATES your step 1 . If you do poorly on step 2 that could really invalidate your good step 1 and make you less competitive. Its a risk assessment. For me AOA is worth the risk.

if you're going into ortho why are you posting in the rads forum

because I created the screen name when i was gung ho for ortho before i even started med school.