1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

is step 2 necessary if step 1 score is high?

Discussion in 'Radiology' started by coco09, May 7, 2008.

1. coco09

Medical Student
    I met with my Dept Chair of Radiology today and he mentioned that the program likes to see Step 2 scores in addition to Step 1. He said that the step 2 validates a good step 1 score.

I have a high step 1 score, and the general consensus has been that I can take Step 2 late. But, now, since I talked to the Dept. Chair, I'm considering taking my Step 2 earlier and have it available for programs. It is a bit of a risk, since I could do poorer on Step 2, thus negating my good Step 1 score.

What do people think? Do other programs like to see Step 2 even if Step 1 is good? It seems that since matching is so competitive, every extra brownie point seems to help.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mariah246

7+ Year Member

Most programs don't care.

But if you have the time to study and think you can do better, go for it. Most people do better on Step 2 as compared to Step 1 (from what I hear anyway)

My personal move? I'm staying put. My Step 1 score and pre-clinical grades speak for themselves. The gaping hole comes in my clinical grades. :p

4. hans19

hans19 I'm back...
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are certain medical schools that require step 2 that require it before you start 4th year. Certain top radiology programs require it to apply, but the majority dont.

Its like black jack, you've got a Jack and a Nine, do you want to hit or stand?

5. futrorthodr

futrorthodr Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I would definitely stand except for when they my school tells me step 2 has to be in for AOA :mad:. Guess I have to take the gamble and hope for the few aces or dueces in the deck:rolleyes:

Like your chair said it only further VALIDATES your step 1 . If you do poorly on step 2 that could really invalidate your good step 1 and make you less competitive. Its a risk assessment. For me AOA is worth the risk.

6. marcus pupil

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Lol. I battled with this question immensely. I prayed and took the hit.... Got the deuce!

7. judu

judu inner game first
    2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    if you're going into ortho why are you posting in the rads forum

8. futrorthodr

futrorthodr Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

because I created the screen name when i was gung ho for ortho before i even started med school.