Medical Is strategically Submitting AMCAS late a thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thank you in advance for any help provided.
Initially I was thinking about submitting the AMCAS application the first day it opens for submission. However, since many strong applications would submit it then, would it be advantageous for me to submit my application a week late or a week and a half late, so I don't get compared with other strong applicants?
Nope.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you are a little misguided. Just because you submit your application early does not guarantee it will be reviewed early. Many people apply early but don't have all their letters of recommendation submitted. There's also that tricky step known as the transcript verification; many schools go on quarter systems so their transcripts are not ready until later in June/July for spring quarter grades vs. those students on semester systems. Also, this early submission strategy does you no good unless you come in with your official MCAT score already reported because you took your exam in the spring.

Then there is the secondary application and payment step.

In my experience, the most competitive applications appear on my radar for about 8-10 weeks after applications are ready for us to process, which occurs about 2-4 weeks AFTER you are allowed to submit your application. By then, I'm staring at the tsunami of a few thousand applications.

Don't overthink this and try to time anything. There are too many variables that can easily work against you, and some of them you have no control over.

Thank you! Does this mean that I can just submit sometime in the first half of June and still be competitive in terms of timeline for primaries? I am planning to pre-write all my secondaries, so I would be able to submit them in a weeks time, and I already have my MCAT score.
Yep.

As mentioned above, you don't have to submit on day 1, but if you're ready to go there is absolutely no reason to delay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Status
Not open for further replies.