Is submitting LOR on late September too late? MD's letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gregae

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out existence of DO and prepared everything except DO's recommendation. I found one DO who is willing to allow me shadowing him on September. I believe it would be mid September, which means I would get LOR at least late September (planning to work for one week for full time). I would have MD's letter to be prepared by mid of August so I don't mind about that one. But obviously there are quite a lot of schools require DO's letter. Should I apply for those schools as well and submit the letter later hoping them to call me? or there is just no hope?

Another question is that is MD's letter to those schools state "DO's letter strongly recommended" OK to use? or I should just avoid those schools as well?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if they say a DO letter is strongly recommended then that means a DO letter is strongly recommended, not MD.

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly recommended DO LOR means that if they have two applicants with the same stats and similar EC's they will choose the one who had the DO letter because they probably have a better understanding of the osteopathic profession in comparison to the one with the MD letter. Now if the DO is a neurosurgeon while the MD is a PCP for a community clinic than that might factor in and favor the MD letter. There are many factors.

If all you can get is the MD letter, then you have to roll with it. It's not a death sentence but it will be at some schools without a doubt.

FWIW I'm in the same boat as you, I have a ton of letters and no DO letter yet. So I'm deciding if I should wait until later on this month to get the letter before I resubmit my app (it was unprocessed due to some admin stuff).

Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not to mention some schools like Western specifically ask on secondaries about your experience with an osteopathic physician. I think D.O letter might give you the edge as emagavin mentioned.

Reactions: 1 user
I recently found out existence of DO and prepared everything except DO's recommendation. I found one DO who is willing to allow me shadowing him on September. I believe it would be mid September, which means I would get LOR at least late September (planning to work for one week for full time). I would have MD's letter to be prepared by mid of August so I don't mind about that one. But obviously there are quite a lot of schools require DO's letter. Should I apply for those schools as well and submit the letter later hoping them to call me? or there is just no hope?

Another question is that is MD's letter to those schools state "DO's letter strongly recommended" OK to use? or I should just avoid those schools as well?

I was in a similar situation a year ago. I had my AACOMAS all ready to go but waited until Oct. to submit. I didn't want to be somewhere in secondary app land without a DO letter on the horizon. I think the important timing is you want to have your DO letter in your admissions file before you interview, if not when you submit secondary.

Reactions: 1 users