Is submitting my primaries now too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joshua Ang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
3.5 cGPA and sGPA. 31 MCAT Florida resident. Is it too late to submit my primaries right now?

Members don't see this ad.

you are very late for MD schools (you should have submitted your primaries 3.5 months ago!) However you can submit your AMCAS now and pre-write all your secondaries while you wait for your primaries to be verified. That way, you should be able to submit all your secondaries by late October-early November. Even then, your chances won't be nearly as good as someone who submitted their secondaries by end of July so don't get your hopes up.

You're not late for DO schools though. LECOM-Bradenton is a Florida DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't do it. Yes you are very late for MD schools; paired with your very average stats, this is a recipe for all-round rejection. Work on your extracurricular for 8 months (work, research, volunteer...) and apply in June of next year. Apply wisely and broadly and you'll have a great shot. Don't be hasty. Do this right: next year.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above, very late. You'd only frustrate yourself when you don't get any interview calls after all that hard work. Hit the ground running next year and you will have a much better shot!

MD Class of 2017

Why waste a year of your life? Submit ASAP to state MD and all osteopathic schools and you'll be starting medical school in August. Go for it!

Reactions: 1 users
3.5 cGPA and sGPA. 31 MCAT Florida resident. Is it too late to submit my primaries right now?
It's late but not hopeless. My roommate from college just applied last year. His primary got verified 9/27 and he was basically getting interviewed for waitlist positions. He ended up getting off the waitlist for UCSF and he just started this fall. :D

I think his MCAT was 35 and GPA was 3.9. We did undergrad at UC Berkeley. He had great extracurriculars. It's just really stressful to do it this late.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that the sooner you apply the better. But most ppl on SDN consider you must apply the first day of June to be consider "on time". Most school deadline is not until Nov or Dec. FYI, UAB secondary did not send out until couple days ago (for every applicant). So I cannot say for all school but I do not think it is too late now to apply (UAB at least)

I would listen to Goro and the others on this one. I don't have a very informed opinion but I do know what I would do. I would wait and make sure the first time I do this is from the best position possible, so submitting sometime in June or July.

I agree that the sooner you apply the better. But most ppl on SDN consider you must apply the first day of June to be consider "on time". Most school deadline is not until Nov or Dec. FYI, UAB secondary did not send out until couple days ago (for every applicant). So I cannot say for all school but I do not think it is too late now to apply (UAB at least)

If OP submits now, the primary will not be verified for another 6+ weeks, so we're looking at the end of October at the earliest. Even with deadlines in Nov and Dec, most schools have given out most of their invites by December, so if you're not complete until mid-November, you are WAY behind the game. And the people they hand out interview invites to who apply that late are rockstars, and OP is not a rockstar by his stats.

Yes, it is too late for MD schools. Save your money and a huge headache and work on getting your application together to submit next summer. You don't have to submit on the first day to be on time for schools, but submitting at the beginning of August or earlier will put you in a much better place to get an interview invite.

It's late. I finished by August (primary) and between September - November for secondaries. I only applied to 6 schools because I thought my chances were shot. Try DO or lower ranked MD

Be sure to apply to Drexel. They have not sent out all their secondaries yet, even though they don't screen. Some people who applied in June haven't gotten them yet, and some people who applied September 1 already have. There is absolutely no rhyme or reason.

If OP submits now, the primary will not be verified for another 6+ weeks, so we're looking at the end of October at the earliest.

Verification is actually only taking about 10 days right now (they are working on Sep. 8th submissions as we speak), but yeah, really late.

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I want to add a couple more schools (my primary app was verified in June and is ready to go and I can have the secondaries done by the end of the weekend)...still too late? 3.2/30 URM

Sorry to jump on this thread, but I want to add a couple more schools (my primary app was verified in June and is ready to go and I can have the secondaries done by the end of the weekend)...still too late? 3.2/30 URM
If you have already applied to other schools, you might as well add a couple more, as the only thing you will lose is your secondary fees. Just know your chances are lower than if you had added them right away. For the OP, since he/she hasn't applied anywhere yet, they would avoid the re-applicant stigma by NOT applying at all until next year.

Regarding the individual who brought up schools' deadlines; just because they will take your money through a certain date, doesn't mean they will give your application the same consideration they would give to someone who applied on time. Many schools are more than happy to take your money well into the fall, or even winter, but that willingness doesn't mean you have a good chance at actually getting an interview.