Is surgery possible with a low Step 1 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SierraMist14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been thinking a lot about what specialty I want to pursue but my Step 1 score has been holding me back. Right now I'm bouncing between OB/GYN and trauma surgery. I only received a 212 on step 1 however, so it's been a little discouraging. I've researched a little on OB and I have a fair chance in matching (granted I do well on my rotations and perform better on step 2) but what about surgery? Do I have a fair chance in matching in that as well or is it way out of my league? I just wanted a few opinions whether I should drop the possibility of becoming a trauma surgeon and focus on OB. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

US school?

Clinical grades?

Any other red flags?

If you are an otherwise solid student from a US MD school, you should be able to match (Charting outcomes in the match, step 1 score 211-220: 129 matched vs 31 unmatched).

You will need to apply broadly and go on as many interviews as possible. It would also help to take step II early (and do well).

But possible - yes.

Thanks for the speedy reply. & sorry, I should have included more information: I go to a US-MD school. I'm only on my first rotation (internal medicine) but I'm doing well so far. The only red flag that I have is that I failed a course first year and had to remediate it over the summer.

Hey all,

I've been thinking a lot about what specialty I want to pursue but my Step 1 score has been holding me back. Right now I'm bouncing between OB/GYN and trauma surgery. I only received a 212 on step 1 however, so it's been a little discouraging. I've researched a little on OB and I have a fair chance in matching (granted I do well on my rotations and perform better on step 2) but what about surgery? Do I have a fair chance in matching in that as well or is it way out of my league? I just wanted a few opinions whether I should drop the possibility of becoming a trauma surgeon and focus on OB. Thanks guys.

You should do Ob/Gyn if you like Ob/Gyn. On the other hand, if you think you really want to be a surgeon, then you should apply to surgery programs. It is early. Enjoy 3rd year, and go into every rotation with an open mind. You may not even like your surgery rotation.

Whatever you do, apply broadly, and go on a lot of interviews. This is my advice to everyone in medical school. The extra money spent on applications and on extra interviews are far outweighed by the possibility of not matching.