Is taking A&P1 and Gen Chem 1 at the same time too much?

Chip N Sawbones

Ship's Carpenter
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
62 degrees North
Status
Non-Student
If this is one of those deals where you get 3-4 credits per class in the 4-week session, it will be a really, really busy schedule. I took only general chem over the summer on this schedule, and it was a pretty full class load. If you're in a situation where you have to get good grades on these classes I would recommend you only take one of them.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Half of SDN will say that's no problem. The other half will say they did that while working 60 hours a week and added physics to it. Reality is that it is a heavy schedule, and in 4 weeks there's no way to really master that material. Your professors will either be cutting corners like hell or they teach the class in such a way where they expect you to have at least 4 hours a day to study. Either way, I would advice against it.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
Kind of what i was thinking... Yeah its 4cr per class summer type deal.... They said it has been done, but when would i study. Thanks for the input all, i have no chem background yet, and my algebra is weak so thats my biggest concern.
I took chem after 12 years from my last algebra class. The first 3 or so weeks were a pain. I don't know how you'll pull off doing the entire course in 4 weeks, but good luck!

Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
Half of SDN will say that's no problem. The other half will say they did that while working 60 hours a week and added physics to it. Reality is that it is a heavy schedule, and in 4 weeks there's no way to really master that material. Your professors will either be cutting corners like hell or they teach the class in such a way where they expect you to have at least 4 hours a day to study. Either way, I would advice against it.
This, oh god this.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I agree.

I did A&P 1, Gen chem 1, and Orgo 1 together while working 40 hours per week, but this was over the course of a normal semester plus gen chem/orgo were both retakes so I had some idea of what was going on.

A&P1 in 4 weeks would be absolutely insane. There is quite a bit of information. We spend ~2 weeks alone on muscle insertion, origin, innervation, and action.

MedPR

Removed
Dec 1, 2011
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Also A&P is very interesting and worthwhile so you might end up wanting to spend more time on it than necessary to get an A.

katiemaude

7+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2010
Status
Medical Student
+1

I took A&P 1 in six weeks (4 credits) by itself and it was quick and dirty. I enjoyed it but I studied 4-5 hrs a day on top of 4 hour lecture or lab five days/week. I was also volunteering 10 hrs/week. I was able to keep my weekends mostly free for fun.

Don't ruin your summer. Take one or the other. Gen Chem is more valuable for the MCAT although there A&P will also help you. My advice is to wait on the gen chem, unless you want to take Gen Chem 1 and 2 over the summer, so you can do organic chemistry in the fall.

Daneosaurus

D4
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Dental Student
How exactly are people taking Gen Chem 1 and orgo 1 simultaneously? I'm fairly certain you need the info from Gen Chem 1 and 2 to be even moderately successful at orgo.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
How exactly are people taking Gen Chem 1 and orgo 1 simultaneously? I'm fairly certain you need the info from Gen Chem 1 and 2 to be even moderately successful at orgo.
Usually they are retaking Gen Chem 1 or they are crazy.

Dec 30, 2011
Michigan
Status
Pre-Medical
Id say you somewhat need gen chem 1 for orgo, but not two. And actually. I had a fantastic high school teacher, and If i were coming straight from high school, I would have still done ok in orgo 1. I've found they are not very related... I skipped gen chem 2 because I couldnt find an open course, so i am in orgo 1. I like it much better.