SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Is Taking Classes at a Community College to Raise GPA Okay?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Confused 20, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Confused 20

Confused 20 Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2006
    I have a okay gpa (3.75) but my science gpa is very low (3.44). I am in the midst of completing the Biology prerequisites. I hope to complete the Chemistry, Physics, and Organic Chemistry prerequisites over the next two years at the university I attend. Would it be a wise idea to take some introductory or upper level Biology classes at my local community college to raise my science gpa? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Vvandenn

Vvandenn Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2006
  4. QuakerPreMed

QuakerPreMed 2+ Year Member

Mar 9, 2007
    Agreed. Although it might put you up a few spots on numeric lists and you might make some cuts that otherwise you wouldn't, the instant an actual person begins to review your application they're going to see what you've done and not be impressed by it. Do well in science at your university to raise your GPA -- take an extra math class or something, since they count BCPM even though they're not pre-reqs.

edit: wait, you've not completed 3+ semesters of chem and 2+ semesters of physics? Unless you've taken a ton of other science courses and done poorly in them, doing well in those classes will boost your science GPA quite a bit.

5. psipsina

psipsina Senior Member 5+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2005
    N'awlins
    Average matriculant has a 3.5, so your not too far of the mark already, and your overall is above average. With an above average MCAT (+30), and barring other non statistical weakness you should be ok. Adcomms can see where a course was taken and they understand that the difficulty is lower at a CC so they won't be fooled.

6. PEN15

PEN15 Member 5+ Year Member

Jan 25, 2005
    Canada/Australia
    If it was, everybody would be doing it. If you do, I hope you run into a stupid adcom.

7. doctor0125

doctor0125 Junior Member 2+ Year Member

Aug 4, 2006
    I would do it, it never hurts

8. kelvin81

kelvin81 Member 5+ Year Member

Apr 24, 2006
    That is not true. I was a transfer student from a CC and so I had to take half of the pre-req classes at a CC. You can't exclusively conclude that classes at a CC are easier. My GPA after I transfered was higher than GPA before I transfered. At my CC, Orgo and Physics classes are very hard to get As. The professors dont need to set up any curves and they 're ok to give the whole class with Bs or Cs and no As. And it happens all the time, especially in physics classes. On the other hand, at the 4-year university, most of the classes are curved and you know sometimes you just need to be in the top 10% or 15% of the class or so to get an A. My point is, dont just jump into conclusion that if a class is taken at a CC, it must be an easy class. That is not necessarily true.

9. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Mar 7, 2005
    Don't do it. Adcoms see it for what it is and make their decisions accordingly.