is taking DAT on Oct. & applying this year a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sonshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know, I know every one says the earlier the better. I was originally planning on applying for the fall of 2011 but now I'm so tempted to apply this year and see what happenes....you fellow students out there "who've been there and done that " think is worth it? :confused: I'm specifically thinking about NOVA!

Members don't see this ad.

I know, I know every one says the earlier the better. I was originally planning on applying for the fall of 2011 but now I'm so tempted to apply this year and see what happenes....you fellow students out there "who've been there and done that " think is worth it? :confused: I'm specifically thinking about NOVA!

NO matter how late you want to take the DAT, you should turn in your application ASAP. It would still be possible to get interviews if you pull up a 21+ AA at this point of the cycle. So, if you are confident that you can do it, then go ahead, write your personal statement, get your rec letters, and get your GPA verified by AADSAS as soon as possible, and take the DAT in October.
IMO, it's worth trying, if you have the confidence to get that 21 AA. if not, it's a wasting money.
Good luck

Just dont f-up in october...if you do, then you cannot retake until later in december/january. If that is the case, then you are f*cked, syanara dental school class of 2014

There is nothing quite like an application submitted to AADSAS the first week of June in dental admissions. Applying now will be a late application - stop reading this post, log onto AADSAS and submit your application before you get up to do anything else. Then spend the next few weeks of your life doing nothing but getting ready to do great on the DAT. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
NOVA has already given out a large number of interview. By the time you're done with your DAT and your scores are verified, they've put together at least 50% of their class, which means you'll only have a 50% chance of getting in, which in turn means your scores and your overall application must be very impressive. So, due to the rolling admission process, the earlier you apply the higher your chances of getting accepted would be. So, personally I think taking the DAT in Oct is somewhat late, and will in turn hinder your chances. But, if you're ready to take the exam I don't see why you shouldn't take it and apply. Worst case scenario, you won't get in this year. But if you manage to pull off good DAT scores, then you can still use them to apply early during the next cycle and definitely get in. Not to mention that by applying this cycle you're not gonna lose anything (well perhaps some money). But nevertheless, you'll be more experienced and familiar with the entire process for next year, assuming that you won't get accepted during this cycle.
Good Luck:thumbup::thumbup: