Is taking Physics and Chemistry at the same time a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

As the title states, is it a bad idea to take physics and general chemistry at the same time? I'm an incoming freshman and would like to finish all of my pre-med reqs before junior year in order to take the MCAT during the Summer. Is it a bad idea if I lay out my schedule something like this?

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Physics I
Intro to Biochemistry
"Fluff" class

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Physics II
Basic human anatomy
"fluff" classes

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Biology I
Biochemistry
Possible "fluff" class

Fourth Semester:
Organic Chemistry II (with lab)
Biology II
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology

Does taking a schedule like this sound too difficult? Or would it be better to space out my classes a bit more, and take physics and organic chemistry as lone science classes in separate years. I would spend the Summer following fourth semester to prepare for an August MCAT.

Members don't see this ad.

Shouldn't you be taking biochem after bio/chem/orgo?

Depends on the school I suppose, but I would have drowned in my biochem class if I hadn't had orgo first.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Biochem in your first semester?? Is that even allowed? Not familiar with schools that have both Intro and regular Biochem.
I also wouldn't take your fluff classes lightly. Take advantage of the curriculum! Even if it means spreading out your sciences more.
Oh but fwiw I took phys and chem together with no problems.

Reactions: 1 users
Taking Chem and physics together isn't a problem. The biochem before/during orgo might be.

Reactions: 1 users
Agreed. Biochemistry is usually an upper division course that requires the organic chemistry prereq. Is there a reason you want to take the mcat so early? I would shoot for a test date closer to April of your Junior year.

Meh, I preferred taking gen chem with bio and physics with orgo....gives you one math-based course each semester. That, and bio can be a ton of memorizing and orgo is just a lot of work, so those two together wouldn't be my first choice.

Lol bio + biochem + orgo would have been awful at my school (and I'm sure most others as well).

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Biochemistry is usually an upper division course that requires the organic chemistry prereq. Is there a reason you want to take the mcat so early? I would shoot for a test date closer to April of your Junior year.
I'm not sure how I can manage to study during my classes/volunteering/shadowing and research. I would be much more comfortable devoting a summer of studying.

EDIT: After looking into it some more. Org Chem I is required to even take Intro to Biochemistry. Sorry for my ignorance!
Here is a new schedule I've put together!

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Physics I
"Fluff" class/GECs

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Physics II
Basic human anatomy
"fluff" classes

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Biology I
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology

Fourth Semester:
Biology II
Biochemistry I
Possible fluff class

Does this sound better? I really want to be prepared to take the MCAT at the end of Summer. This way I can focus on one thing at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldn't you be taking biochem after bio/chem/orgo?

Biochem in your first semester?? Is that even allowed? Not familiar with schools that have both Intro and regular Biochem.

Note that OP has two biochems listed - one is "introductory" and the other one is concurrent with Orgo I. Which begs the question of what "Intro" biochem is and why you're taking it. As others have said, biochem should come after Orgo II.

Otherwise, taking gen chem and gen physics in the same semester isn't difficult. It'll just seem like you're always rushing around because of labs and all, but it's not tough.

Additionally, isn't Biochemistry a huge part of the new MCAT? Is it even realistic to take it the summer before Junior year without wrecking my GPA?

You can take it in the summer, which would give you a lot of time to adequately study for it and for MCAT biochem. That's pretty much the only time you can take it, since biochem should come after Orgo II (or Orgo I if you don't mind being at a disadvantage relative to other students in the class).

I second taking gen chem with bio and physics with ochem. It's good to have one math class, and one conceptual class together, usually you'll be good at one or the other.

As to courseload, that's fairly typical. I'm not sure you can take the MCAT summer before junior year now that biochem is included. It's now a minimum 3 year chemistry sequence. I would also recommend you take biochem 2 before the MCAT. It's been way more helpful to me in studying than biochem 1.

Last edited:
Note that OP has two biochems listed - one is "introductory" and the other one is concurrent with Orgo I. Which begs the question of what "Intro" biochem is and why you're taking it. As others have said, biochem should come after Orgo II.

Otherwise, taking gen chem and gen physics in the same semester isn't difficult. It'll just seem like you're always rushing around because of labs and all, but it's not tough.
I've looked into it a little more and found that taking Intro to Biochem isn't really necessary or recommended by some who have taken the class? Does my updated schedule here:
First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Physics I
"Fluff" class/GECs

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Physics II
Basic human anatomy
"fluff" classes

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Biology I
Intro to Sociology
Intro to Psychology

Fourth Semester:
Biology II
Biochemistry I
Possible fluff class

sound better in getting prepared? I will have a background in Biochem, sociology, physics, and the four core components before I spend a summer studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I second taking gen chem with bio and physics with ochem. It's good to have one math class, and one conceptual class together, usually you'll be good at one or the other.

As to courseload, that's fairly typical. I'm not sure you can take the MCAT summer before junior year now that biochem is included. It's now a minimum 3 year chemistry sequence. I would also recommend you take biochem 2 before the MCAT. It's been way more helpful to me in studying than biochem 1.
The advisers at my school seem to push people away from doing Physics and Org. Chem at the same time, did you find it straight forward to get an A in both classes with a good amount of effort?

Don't you need some sort of math class as well? Might balance out your sophomore year a bit more since Orgo, Bio, Soc, and Pysch are really visually-driven (memorization, being able to visualize molecules, etc.).

Also, what are your school's pre-reqs for Biochem? You might need Orgo II before biochem, as it's usually a three-semester sequence of Orgo I/Orgo II/biochem.

Meh, I preferred taking gen chem with bio and physics with orgo....gives you one math-based course each semester. That, and bio can be a ton of memorizing and orgo is just a lot of work, so those two together wouldn't be my first choice.

Lol bio + biochem + orgo would have been awful at my school (and I'm sure most others as well).
Haha, I guess there's no easy answer to this!

The advisers at my school seem to push people away from doing Physics and Org. Chem at the same time, did you find it straight forward to get an A in both classes with a good amount of effort?

No. I loved o-chem and have been tutoring it for 4 years, but there is nothing straightforward about it. Most people really struggle with this class in the beginning and it takes a lot of work to get the hang of it. This would pair well with a math-based course, not a bio course that will also require lots of memorization (=time).

EDIT: Again, sorry for my ignorance, and slight stupidity. It appears Biochem does indeed require both semesters of Organic Chemistry. Therefore, is there any real way for me to take the MCAT in the Summer before Junior year without taking a Biochem course over the summer?

No. I loved o-chem and have been tutoring it for 4 years, but there is nothing straightforward about it. Most people really struggle with this class in the beginning and it takes a lot of work to get the hang of it. This would pair well with a math-based course, not a bio course that will also require lots of memorization (=time).
Off topic, but is that Donna from suits?

Don't you need some sort of math class as well? Might balance out your sophomore year a bit more since Orgo, Bio, Soc, and Pysch are really visually-driven (memorization, being able to visualize molecules, etc.).

Also, what are your school's pre-reqs for Biochem? You might need Orgo II before biochem, as it's usually a three-semester sequence of Orgo I/Orgo II/biochem.
Yep, I do indeed need both Org Chems for Biochem.

Don't plan to take it the summer before your junior year. You can take the MCAT in May or June after your junior year and have plenty of time to study and get your pre-reqs in.

Also worth noting: I took the MCAT the summer after my sophomore year and my score expired because I took a gap year lol.

Yep, I do indeed need both Org Chems for Biochem.

Don't plan to take it the summer before your junior year. You can take the MCAT in May or June after your junior year and have plenty of time to study and get your pre-reqs in.

Also worth noting: I took the MCAT the summer after my sophomore year and my score expired because I took a gap year lol.

I'd actually recommend taking it in the summer before your sophomore year if you're applying in your junior summer because first, it gives you a lot of time to focus on the material and learn it so you can do well in the class. Second, the material is fresh in your mind when you take the MCAT that August or so. Third, taking the MCAT in August gives you time to see your scores before submitting the AMCAS (which the June MCAT would not allow for if you want to maximize your chances and submit the AMCAS as early as possible) and to re-take it necessary (though you don't want to take the 6 hour exam more than once if you can avoid it).

I'm gonna suggest that you might want to slow down and not apply after your junior year. Maybe it's because I'm a nontrad and that was never an option for me in the first place, but don't be afraid to take a gap year and live life a little before going to med school. Not only will it give you some perspective, it will give you some breathing room if things get too hectic with all of those classes at the same time. (I guess it depends on your school, but at my school, taking orgo and bio at the same time was notoriously difficult.) Biochem is really important and I don't think you want to cram it in there just to take the MCAT early.

I think I'll try to take it during Ja

Oh man, it looks like I need to have a long chat with my adviser about all of this. Do you think it's a good idea to take it on January? It would take me 5 semesters to be done with my pre-reqs including Biochem and I don't want to take a gap year.

I would recommend the following schedule:

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Bio I

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Bio II

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Physics I
Intro to Sociology

Fourth Semester:
Physics II

Fifth Semester:
Anatomy/Physiology
Intro Psych
Stats

Sixth Semester:
Biochemisty

Take biochem near your MCAT. It's a lot info and it'll be nice to have just taken it so you don't have to re-learn it all. Also keep in mind that you'll have to balance this with classes for your major and general requirements (aka fluff).

Reactions: 4 users
I'd actually recommend taking it in the summer before your sophomore year if you're applying in your junior summer because first, it gives you a lot of time to focus on the material and learn it so you can do well in the class. Second, the material is fresh in your mind when you take the MCAT that August or so. Third, taking the MCAT in August gives you time to see your scores before submitting the AMCAS (which the June MCAT would not allow for if you want to maximize your chances and submit the AMCAS as early as possible) and to re-take it necessary (though you don't want to take the 6 hour exam more than once if you can avoid it).
How is it possible for me to get all of my pre-reqs done without taking a summer class? Meaning, I wouldn't be done with Biochem if I tried to take it the Summer after my Sophomore year, how badly would it hinder my ability to get a good score? I really want to be able to spend a whole, clutter free Summer to study!

How is it possible for me to get all of my pre-reqs done without taking a summer class? Meaning, I wouldn't be done with Biochem if I tried to take it the Summer after my Sophomore year, how badly would it hinder my ability to get a good score? I really want to be able to spend a whole, clutter free Summer to study!

Then your best option is to take biochem in the fall of your junior year and study all summer your sophomore summer. Study everything except for biochem and continue looking over the material during the fall semester. Then take the MCAT in January. That gives you time to retake in May if necessary.

If you have a strong foundation in physics from high school, it's not necessary that you take your physics prereq before taking the MCAT anyways. I didn't and did quite well on the PS section

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Bio I

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Bio II

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Physics I
Intro to Sociology

Fourth Semester:
Physics II

Fifth Semester:
Anatomy/Physiology
Intro Psych
Stats

Sixth Semester:
Biochemisty

Take biochem near your MCAT. It's a lot info and it'll be nice to have just taken it so you don't have to re-learn it all. Also keep in mind that you'll have to balance this with classes for your major and general requirements (aka fluff).

So with a schedule like this? Would I start studying during my Sixth semester? During which I would have an easy load aside from Biochemistry?

@Nibus relax. Not to scare you, but a large percentage of freshmen will come in as pre-med and only a small fraction of those will actually end up taking the MCAT and applying to medical school. Make sure you give yourself time in your first two semesters to explore classes that interest you, get some volunteering and ECs in to see if it's something you actually want, etc. Don't rush into this so fast that you don't give yourself time to see if this is really something you want to commit the rest of your life to. Taking the MCAT after junior year is very normal and won't put you at a disadvantage. The most important thing is to take your time, give yourself the opportunity for self-exploration, and apply when you're ready. As the wise Goro says, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

@Nibus relax. Not to scare you, but a large percentage of freshman will come in as pre-med and only a small fraction of those will actually end up taking the MCAT and applying to medical school. Make sure you give yourself time in your first two semesters to explore classes that interest you, get some volunteering and ECs in to see if it's something you actually want, etc. Don't rush into this so fast that you don't give yourself time to see if this is really something you want to commit the rest of your life to. Taking the MCAT after junior year is very normal and won't put you at a disadvantage. The most important thing is to take your time, give yourself the opportunity for self-exploration, and apply when you're ready. As the wise Goro says, this is a marathon, not a sprint.
I need a chill pill! Thanks for the wisdom!

So with a schedule like this? Would I start studying during my Sixth semester? During which I would have an easy load aside from Biochemistry?

You could still study during the summer before your junior year...just switch around intro psych with intro sociology and you'll be able to study for CARS, Psych/Soc, most of the chem/physics/biochem section and parts of the bio/biochem section. That's almost the entire exam. Then, just focus on practice passages and reviewing during the school year while you take biochem. If you aren't ready to test in January, plan for a May test date (after your junior year) and use the 1-2 months after your sixth semester ends to brush up.

Then your best option is to take biochem in the fall of your junior year and study all summer your sophomore summer. Study everything except for biochem and continue looking over the material during the fall semester. Then take the MCAT in January. That gives you time to retake in May if necessary.
Sounds like a great plan! Thank you for the valuable input! I was originally leaning towards a plan like that and it seems to be the norm.

You could still study during the summer before your junior year...just switch around intro psych with intro sociology and you'll be able to study for CARS, Psych/Soc, most of the chem/physics/biochem section and parts of the bio/biochem section. That's almost the entire exam. Then, just focus on practice passages and reviewing during the school year while you take biochem. If you aren't ready to test in January, plan for a May test date (after your junior year) and use the 1-2 months after your sixth semester ends to brush up.
Yeah, I should still be able to get a good chunk of studying in barring in depth Biochemistry! Then maybe wrap it all up during Winter break and see if I'm ready for the test!

If you study during the summer you can teach yourself the MCAT biochem...it's really just in-depth biology + some exercise phys.

If you study during the summer you can teach yourself the MCAT biochem...it's really just in-depth biology + some exercise phys.
Maybe, I think i'll try self teaching myself MCAT biochem and see where I stand closer to the test date. If I'm doing well, I'll take the test, if not, I'll just wait until January.

I'm studying for the MCAT right now and its only the summer after my sophomore year. My situation is a little bit different than your's though because I didn't need to take any of the basic chemistry classes. What I'm doing is taking biochemistry over the summer while I'm studying for the MCAT. This is working really well for me because biochem is now a big portion of the test so it will be really fresh in my mind when I take the MCAT in August.

Oh, haha I meant you can teach yourself some of the biochem so you're well-studied over the summer, then after taking biochem (you can switch around what I wrote for semesters 5 and 6...just take those your junior year) you'll be ready. At the earliest, I would advice January of jr year. May would be more realistic, imho.

I don't really understand how people can plan to take the MCAT in May. Isn't that during finals for most people?

Really? Most people take ochem with physics at my school.

I actually took physics, bio, and ochem at the same time in a 19 unit semester (do not recommend!). I got A's in everything but ochem, where I got a B. No idea if I could have done better if I had only taken two prereqs at once.

And yeah, I know plenty of people who got A's in both. If you work hard you'll be fine.

Last edited:
I don't really understand how people can plan to take the MCAT in May. Isn't that during finals for most people?

It was for me. And it sucked. The retake in August was much better. Learn from my mistakes young pre-meds!!

Oh, haha I meant you can teach yourself some of the biochem so you're well-studied over the summer, then after taking biochem (you can switch around what I wrote for semesters 5 and 6...just take those your junior year) you'll be ready. At the earliest, I would advice January of jr year. May would be more realistic, imho.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll take it in January after studying hard during the Summer and self teaching Biochem. Then I'll take Biochem in Autumn with a light class load while continuing to study for the MCAT.

I'm studying for the MCAT right now and its only the summer after my sophomore year. My situation is a little bit different than your's though because I didn't need to take any of the basic chemistry classes. What I'm doing is taking biochemistry over the summer while I'm studying for the MCAT. This is working really well for me because biochem is now a big portion of the test so it will be really fresh in my mind when I take the MCAT in August.
So since you're going to be taking the new MCAT, do you think self-prep is enough to score in the mid 30s?

This:

First Semester:
Gen Chem I
Bio I

Second Semester:
Gen Chem II
Bio II

Third Semester:
Organic Chemistry I
Physics I
Intro to Sociology

Fourth Semester:
Physics II

Fifth Semester:
Anatomy/Physiology
Intro Psych
Stats

Sixth Semester:
Biochemisty

That looks good, I did something similar (took everything in freshman and sophomore years, am now a rising junior studying for an August MCAT.) Obviously I don't wanna speak too soon but I do feel that this prepared me well for the MCAT. Two intro science classes is fine imo seeing as you'll have to take all science all the time in med school. YMMV though, this worked at my school but if your science classes are ridiculously hard or something then you might be sweating

PS, you don't really have to take sociology for the new MCAT, all the concepts are simple enough that you can just learn them from a review book. Psych is simple too, but there are a lot of terms so a class may help. But definitely cut sociology if you want to give yourself some space to take an elective.

why not take chem and bio together (one is quantitative and the other is qualitative) and then take physics during summer. This should give you focus for organic which I think you might need. Then you could take biochem the following summer so that you could start studying for MCAT that fall?

why not take chem and bio together (one is quantitative and the other is qualitative) and then take physics during summer. This should give you focus for organic which I think you might need. Then you could take biochem the following summer so that you could start studying for MCAT that fall?
I'm going to school OOS, and arranging Summer classes along with housing isn't really possible for me. I think I'll be taking Chem and Bio together, then Physics and Ochem together, and finally Biochemistry in the fall of my Junior year. I plan to study over the Summer before Junior year for the MCAT, maybe i'll try self teaching Biochem and see how I can do myself. But I'm planning on taking the MCAT in January or so of my Junior year.

umm ever heard of taking a full course load?
just take 5 courses per term
if you can't handle that, how the hell will you handle med school?