This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasdude8917

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I took the MCAT in January and made a 496. Sucks, I know. However, I am scheduled to retake it July 21st 2017. Is that too late to apply through TMDSAS and out of state medical schools?

Stats about me:
I graduated in May of 2016. I am a hispanic male.
Undergrad GPA: 3.73
Grad school GPA: 4.0 (Master's of Science in Neuroscience)
Over 300 volunteer hours, had a internship at Baylor Scott and White Hospital, currently doing a clinical research internship, over 100 hours of shadowing, great leadership experience (President of 2 organizations in undergrad and several other leadership roles).

Should I apply this year? Or wait until next?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it is late if you have everything else turned in ahead of time and prewrite all of your secondaries. That way, once your score comes in, you can just send out those secondaries. The problem with taking it this late is that you have no time for retake so you have to make sure you do well. I am also applying this year and will be taking the MCAT on that date as well. Hopefully, everything will work out for the both of us. Good luck.

Last edited:
I took the MCAT at the end of July last year, and I received three interviews and two acceptances. It's not too late, you just need to be on the ball as far as your secondaries go. Good luck!

I took the MCAT at the end of July last year, and I received three interviews and two acceptances. It's not too late, you just need to be on the ball as far as your secondaries go. Good luck!

Were those invites and acceptance MD and DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not too late at all, and your other factors look competitive. Do it this way...

Make sure your Personal Essay and AMCAS 15 Activities List is STELLAR, then submit AMCAS the first week of June, but only list one school. Choose a school you're pretty sure you don't want to go to anyway. Then make sure you ace the MCAT July 21. You can go through the AMCAS approval and your file will become complete once that second MCAT posts around Aug 21. After you know what that score is, you can pick schools to add to your application where you'll be competitive. This plan will work very smoothly, but it includes the risk that you don't get the score you need July 21. If not, don't add any schools and just accept that you're applying next year instead. You'll only be a re-applicant at that one school, which is why you will have picked one you don't care about.