Is the AAMC Sample test representative of the real MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lilbird123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I take the real MCAT in 16 days. I just took the sample test and my percentages were: chem/phys 54%, CARS 87%, bio/biochem 78%, psych/soc 85%. I found a couple of conversions on SDN and Reddit which put me at making a 509-511 on the real thing, which would be really nice.
I haven't had biochemistry formally yet and have been trying to teach myself as much as I can. I would just like some input about my sample test scores and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not even close! FL2 and 1 are. The bio section is the only thing that might ended up being like the sample test.

Last edited:
AAMC FL#1 and FL#2 are representative of the real thing. The style of questions, the type of questions, and the score you receive are extremely accurate. I'm not so sure about the sample test; I did not even take it before my MCAT.

I plan on taking both the FL1 and Fl2 before my test day. I've also been doing section bank and averaging 50% on the passages. I really just need to get about 507+ to go to my top choice school. I've been taking classes full time along with studying and I just wish I had more time to study. I haven't gotten nearly as much done as I had originally planned to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take one of the full-lengths as soon as possible and see how you do. If you don't even come close to your target score (and these are representative of what you will score on the real MCAT) then I would suggest postponing your test.

I also had to juggle school full time and studying for the MCAT - I suggest taking full advantage of your breaks. Also, study a little bit every day - even if you can only squeeze in 30 mins, exposure to the material/practice questions every day is a good thing.

n = 1 here, but the sample test lined up well with my MCAT scores. With that being said, the AAMC FL1 and FL2 will give you a better idea of how you are doing as you get closer to your test date. Good luck!

Take one of the full-lengths as soon as possible and see how you do. If you don't even come close to your target score (and these are representative of what you will score on the real MCAT) then I would suggest postponing your test.

I also had to juggle school full time and studying for the MCAT - I suggest taking full advantage of your breaks. Also, study a little bit every day - even if you can only squeeze in 30 mins, exposure to the material/practice questions every day is a good thing.
I have been studying since last November getting in hours whenever I could. I would say I have studied for at least 200 hours so far. In my college courses, I have always been that person that barely studies and gets an A every time (honestly not trying to brag, I just seem to understand material quickly), so I am hoping this will translate to the MCAT. I have studied quite a bit for this, but I have heard of people studying for like 500 hours for this test. I know I could do much better if I had more time to study, but I'm ready to apply this cycle, and I'm happy with just an acceptable score at this point.

n = 1 here, but the sample test lined up well with my MCAT scores. With that being said, the AAMC FL1 and FL2 will give you a better idea of how you are doing as you get closer to your test date. Good luck!
Thank you! Would you mind posting your sample test percentages and your aamc full length scores and your actual MCAT scores?

@Lilbird123 I just read some of your other posts to better gauge what kind of applicant you are, and I can honestly say, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Let's see:
1) You have a stellar GPA
2) You're dream is to become a rural general practice physician - which happens to exactly match OSU-COM's mission.
3) You're from a rural area yourself.
4) You're Native American - one of the most advantageous URMs you can be.
5) You're an Oklahoma resident and your target schools are OU and OSU.
6) You say you have great interpersonal skills.

If you get anything around a 500 on the MCAT, you'll be golden.
Satisfy this last criteria and I can confidently say: "Welcome to OSU-COM's class of 2022!"

EDIT: With all that being said, for sure take the MCAT on your target date. A 500ish will be more than sufficient.

Thank you! Would you mind posting your sample test percentages and your aamc full length scores and your actual MCAT scores?

My my scores may skew a little high so I'm not sure how representative they are. However, there are also spreadsheets that have the data compiled from many past test takers. See this post for 2015-2016 practice and real MCAT scores and this one for the current 2017 practice and real MCAT scores. Not all of the people took the AAMC sample test, but many did. I know looking at this data helped calm my nerves leading up to the real thing (mainly when I was taking TPR tests), and I hope it helps you!

Personal scores (again, these are probably only of limited use compared to the data above)
Sample test (unscored AAMC) (9/5/2016) - 93%/98%/95%/88%
Real MCAT (9/9/2016) - 132/132/132/127 (523) (note: the P/S section was a lot more difficult on my real MCAT, thus the 88% is not representative at all)

@Lilbird123 I just read some of your other posts to better gauge what kind of applicant you are, and I can honestly say, you have NOTHING to worry about.

Let's see:
2) You're dream is to become a rural general practice physician - which happens to exactly match OSU-COM's mission.

Satisfy this last criteria and I can confidently say: "Welcome to OSU-COM's class of 2022!"

EDIT: With all that being said, for sure take the MCAT on your target date. A 500ish will be more than sufficient.

Taking into account this information as well, you really shouldn't worry!

Let's see:

EDIT: With all that being said, for sure take the MCAT on your target date. A 500ish will be more than sufficient.[/QUOTE
Awesome! You think 500 could even get me into OU?

My my scores may skew a little high so I'm not sure how representative they are. However, there are also spreadsheets that have the data compiled from many past test takers. See this post for 2015-2016 practice and real MCAT scores and this one for the current 2017 practice and real MCAT scores. Not all of the people took the AAMC sample test, but many did. I know looking at this data helped calm my nerves leading up to the real thing (mainly when I was taking TPR tests), and I hope it helps you!

Personal scores (again, these are probably only of limited use compared to the data above)
Sample test (unscored AAMC) (9/5/2016) - 93%/98%/95%/88%
Real MCAT (9/9/2016) - 132/132/132/127 (523) (note: the P/S section was a lot more difficult on my real MCAT, thus the 88% is not representative at all)

Taking into account this information as well, you really shouldn't worry!
Wow nice score! I'm just hoping for a 507+, but it sounds like breaking 500 will be sufficient. But I'm going to just keep studying as hard as I can, because I would feel so much better about myself if I could score higher than 500

I am confident about your chances with a 500 for OSU-COM, but I can't say for sure about OU.

Chances are likely to still be high, however, because of your URM status and your stellar GPA.

I am confident about your chances with a 500 for OSU-COM, but I can't say for sure about OU.

Chances are likely to still be high, however, because of your URM status and your stellar GPA.
I honestly think I can do better than a 500 but I guess I won't know for sure until I take the aamc FL 1 and 2. I'm hoping to go to OU but I will be happy anywhere I end up!

I just took the aamc FL 1 under testing conditions and scored a 507 (125/128/127/127). So I should expect to do similar to this score on the real thing?

I just took the aamc FL 1 under testing conditions and scored a 507 (125/128/127/127). So I should expect to do similar to this score on the real thing?

Most likely. AAMC FL 2 is a tad more representative of the most recent MCAT. Rule of thumb: +/- 2 points of your AAMC 1+2 average (most of the time being the +2).

Also I keep reading where people say they didn't have to do many calculations on the real MCAT, but I keep getting a low score in chem/phys (sample test, aamc FL) because I can't remember all the equations. I'm going to try to memorize them all, but it would just be nice if there werent many on my real MCAT.