is the book "MCAT Workout" too hard?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
have you done any practice problems from "Mcat workout" ? this is a book sold at bookstore and it was written by the Princeton review
2 or 3 days ago after finishing my EK books i decided to practice so i got the workout book and thought it was very hard, i could barely get 10% of the questions and that is why i started cussing examkrackers and its authors and whoever else i could think of and i started crying because i felt like i had wasted the last 3 months studying examkrackers and honestly i still do not understand half the questions in that book. even after reading the explanations i do not understand them.
but today i glanced at AAMC 4R and i noticed the questions there are easier...
is the today's CBT mcat harder than 4R ? as hard as that "mcat workout" ? easier?
i have not had a chance to get my hands on TPR hyperlearning science workbook, but i would imagine those are hard as well?
so which book should i do for practice?

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
have you done any practice problems from "Mcat workout" ? this is a book sold at bookstore and it was written by the Princeton review
2 or 3 days ago after finishing my EK books i decided to practice so i got the workout book and thought it was very hard, i could barely get 10% of the questions and that is why i started cussing examkrackers and its authors and whoever else i could think of and i started crying because i felt like i had wasted the last 3 months studying examkrackers and honestly i still do not understand half the questions in that book. even after reading the explanations i do not understand them.
but today i glanced at AAMC 4R and i noticed the questions there are easier...
is the today's CBT mcat harder than 4R ? as hard as that "mcat workout" ? easier?
i have not had a chance to get my hands on TPR hyperlearning science workbook, but i would imagine those are hard as well?
so which book should i do for practice?

Don't just glance at questions, take a FL AAMC. Take the free AAMC 3 exam and see for yourself. I can say they are or aren't hard, but what does that mean to you? Nothing.

I think you're best solution is to take an AAMC exam and learn what you're dealing with. The real MCAT is seeming to trend to more passage based BS and PS, with slightly more calculations, but the general concensus is that most who take the real deal are within 1 standard deviation of their AAMC test averages.

Try a real exam, then attack your content review problems.

Don't just glance at questions, take a FL AAMC. Take the free AAMC 3 exam and see for yourself. I can say they are or aren't hard, but what does that mean to you? Nothing.

I think you're best solution is to take an AAMC exam and learn what you're dealing with. The real MCAT is seeming to trend to more passage based BS and PS, with slightly more calculations, but the general concensus is that most who take the real deal are within 1 standard deviation of their AAMC test averages.

Try a real exam, then attack your content review problems.

thanks, i know this is not related to what you said, but i just wanted to give some more detail so you guys know where my weakness is, i certainly dont and would like to know. i have done the 101 EKs and i usually got 75% of those right, but with TPR, i cannot even comprehend what the question is asking and when i read the explanations most of the time i have no idea why that is the answer.

I would suggest that you decrease TPR usage then. While doing hard practices can help, you must be able to understand in order to benefit. If you are finding yourself completely in the dark even after reading the solutions and know that you'd need to spend a lot of time in order to gain comprehension then it's time to put down the hard stuff and move onto practices that you can understand. At least with stuff you can understand, you'll be able to identify areas in which you are weak versus spending all your time figuring out what the solutions mean.