Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Is the cost of living cheaper in Bethesda or Baltimore, MD?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by anucar, Apr 15, 2004.

1. anucar

anucar Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am debating whether to take a position at Bethesda or Baltimore, MD. How is the cost of living between the two? Which city is more fun? :D Any inputs regarding the two?

Thanks

2. B-Daddy

B-Daddy Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have looked in the same area for housing and from looking at realty sites the homes definitly get less expensive as you move away from DC and towards Baltimore. Bethesda is extremely expensive, saw a condo in Bethesda for $220K and that was the only ting I pulled up under $240K. I think most students at USUHS move outwards toward Gaithersburg and Gemantown to find affordable housing.
    As far as Baltimore, the only thing I pulled up was between DC and Baltimore, and the prices definitely dropped. I would imagine the prices increase the closer you get to the city though. Not too many homes for under $200K as far as I have seen. Hope this helps a bit, but the best bet is to ask a realtor to look in both areas that you wish to live and give them a price range. Most agents will send you listings in the area if there are any. I personnally think looking only on the web does not give you a real good idea of what is really out there.

3. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bethesda is more expensive, however, I enjoyed it more than Baltimore. Very clean and great restaurants. Also, a quicker hop into D.C.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lightning4

lightning4 Member
    7+ Year Member

Bethesda is practically in DC, which I suspect to be more fun/interesting than Baltimore. Cost of living is pretty high in Bethesda, but there are cheap places to be found both in Bethesda and further out in the suburbs.

5. bjolly

bjolly Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Cost of living is MUCH cheaper in Baltimore. Both are great places to live, but there's no question that Baltimore is much less expensive.

6. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

Which IRTA position are you getting in Baltimore? Who's lab?

In general, Bethesda would be better unless you have a personal reason to choose Baltimore. Advantage of Baltimore would be: cheaper housing, less traffic, less hostile/competitive/stressful environment.

7. G0S2

G0S2 SDN Angel
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

What is hostile/competitive/stressful about Bethesda??

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. THEMOSIAH

THEMOSIAH Junior Member

bethesda/ chevy chase is the second most expensive place to live in MD behind potomac, the houses are astronomical and apt.s are dumb expensive. It is very pretty and a bunch of things to do, dc is like 10 mins away and the metro is easily accessible. if your one for diversity bethesda has none, mainly rich white folk. but there are a ton of tasty restaurants....

bmore is really cheap houses in the city run like 200k and 3 bedroom apts are less than one bedrooms in bethesda or dc. The city is filty though, with the exception of the few blocks around the inner harbor. if your looking for diversity in race, there is alot. If your looking for diversity in Socioeconomic status, there is none most bmore city inhabitants are poor or working class. a past thread poster said there is less traffic in bmore; thats not true, there is just as much. and whats worst is the public trans there is diguesting so your only option is to walk or talk the car. also crime is rampant where as in bethesda the only crooks are the lawyers and brokers pushing jags, and bentleys...

advice to you try silver spring if your looking for apartment living, its close to bethesda near a metro station, minutes from dc, lots of young people and families and its in the middle of regentrification, so if your looking at realestate you can still get in before prices go sky high.
    one person suggested gaithersburg but the prices are already so high out there and the traffic leaving and getting there is ridiculous even on sundays.

i hope this helps good luck!

9. greenie8

greenie8 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't agree that the only non-filthy area in Bmore is around the inner harbor. If your definition of "nice" is chain restaurants, completely fake environment, touristy and materialistic, then I guess the inner harbor is "nice".

My point is that there are plenty of cool neighborhood in Bmore with inexpensive housing (and I'm from Boston which is the best city in America so I don't grant praise too often). If you want specifics PM me. I've lived here for 6 years but I've always rented so not quite sure about real estate, but I can help you with neighborhoods.

The public transportation is pretty bad.

There are plenty of very weathly communities in N Bmore (guildford, roland park, mt. washington) that are beautiful if you can shell out the cash.

If you can put any effort into seeking out the cool nooks and neighborhoods in Baltimore, then I think it is definitely worth moving here.

greenie

10. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

I never thought i'd be defending Baltimore. Traffic in Baltimore is not as bad as the drive around Bethesda. It's especially hectic around the NIH main campus. To say that Baltimore only has only poor and working class is just uninformed. There are definetly wealthy people living around mt vernon, fell's pt, and Charles' Village.

I thought NIH Main campus just seems more intense and competitive. People have told me that it is stressful there (maybe not for IRTA).

Like I said before, go for the NIH main campus cause DC is more fun.

11. terpgirl

terpgirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, I live in PG County (10 from Anna, 30 from Bmore, 10-15 from DC) and I've spent the majority of my life at Hopkins... which requires me to drive through Baltimore!!!! Have friends at UMBC. So coming from a person who has the unbiased opinion of 18 years of experience here's about Bmore:

Traffic is CRAZY around the rush hours. There's no way around that. With the Orioles and Ravens stadiums, you need to have a clue of their schedules because it's a NIGHTMARE those days. I was at Hopkins Monday at night and no problems but Wednesday I almost LOST the front of my car because cabbies cannot drive--fact of life around here--and this guy didn't know properly how to give the finger. Bethesda is full of rich white people. Wouldn't live there if you paid me (I live in a NICE area, $400K homes and $250K townhomes so I'm not the "oh I don't like people who have more than me" type), and same goes for Potomac (I have a friend who teaches in a HS there, came from a single-parent home that struggled and worked for all he has--and those kids take for granted so much and that the world most revolve around them and the could do no wrong since daddy can get them out of and give everything). Bmore is the working class and poor mainly, ut there are people with mponey hanging around there as well!!! It's larger than you think--ya'll are not from the area and if you're looking at Hopkins or UM on a visit solely to be there at the school.... you're missing way too much to judge the place. I've seen a drug deal go down while driving to an orthotics appt. There are a lot of uneducated people. I see homeless guys begging for money. But go there during a weekday and there are more people in suits and ties than you would ever be able to count. Now, there are really nice new homes around the UMSOM area--it was revamped and isn't a place I'd mind living. To each their own.