Is the divorce rate higher among residents, physicians, and medical students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the divorce rate among medical professionals or students?

Members don't see this ad.

Compared to the average population.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you talking about the rate between two physicians or with only one physician in the relationship or both?

http://www.nationalreviewofmedicine.com/issue/2006/03_15/3_physicians_life02_05.html

A 1999 survey of US docs found 22% of male physicians were married to another working physician. A 2002 study looking at dual physician marriages found they have a relatively low divorce rate of 11%. "They're a happily married cohort," says Dr Sotile. "They're more compassionate about the passion for the career — they understand the calling because they share it."

Yay, doctor couples are more likely to last and are richer. I got to get me a dermatologist wife.

I have not seen a definitive study. Are doctors better at being married than other people in high stress demanding professions. Probably not. But they are probably not worse, either. Professions that are demanding and require long hours away from home, are tough on marriages.

But there are countless examples of physicians with stable marriages and kids who do great. So go for it. And make it work for you!

so, marrying another doctor would result in much lower divorce rate. This sounds reasonable. I mean hypothetically, if your future wife is not a doc then she wouldn't be able to understand you as much as a doctor wife.