Is the DO path still a safe one?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by dohopeful13, Dec 30, 2018.

  1. libertyyne

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2015
    Messages:
    8,651
    Likes Received:
    14,323
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I am literally agreeing with you, but saying that prospects for the entire class are similar because of step 1 average being the same is disengenuous because atleast half of all DO students dont take step 1.
    Ill take your word for it, still doesnt change thte fact that half the pool doesnt take step.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    QueenJames and AnatomyGrey12 like this.
  2. Dr.Bruh

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2018
    Messages:
    144
    Likes Received:
    366
    To echo what synaptic said I agree that DO internal selection bias is way to commonly ignored when analyzing thingnablike match list and PC vs non PC matches. I have a large class (250) and I can count in both hands how many people I’ve met that want to go into a surgical subspecialty.
     
    Noni Mousse and Goro like this.
  3. jkdoctor

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Apr 29, 2013
    Messages:
    802
    Likes Received:
    626
    Status:
    Fellow [Any Field]
    Giovanotto likes this.
  4. SynapticDoctah

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2013
    Messages:
    3,681
    Likes Received:
    2,653
    Status:
    Medical Student
    That was the last time I had checked, but it could have gone down now...not sure. Honestly, it doesn't really matter or make a difference to my argument.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Noni Mousse likes this.
  5. Dhooy7

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2014
    Messages:
    398
    Likes Received:
    50
    Status:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided), Pre-Medical
    As someone who is applying to med school and got an II at a new DO what would you say? If I got my MCAT up I could apply MD and reapply to a better DO school. I don't know enough about this merger . Any advice?
     
    BorntobeDO? and rg2o3 like this.
  6. rg2o3

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2017
    Messages:
    518
    Likes Received:
    409
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I am a somewhat happy DO student. However, I chose this path for reasons other than not being competitive for MD. With that, I also went in with no desire to become a superstar Orthodermopod at some ivory tower. I'm okay with IM/FM and thats actually my main goal right now. With that, I would still say to attempt to go MD if you can. It just makes everything so much easier imo. Less BS hoops to jump through.
     
  7. libertyyne

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2015
    Messages:
    8,651
    Likes Received:
    14,323
    Status:
    Medical Student
    depends on your stats and app. What was your mcat?
    Are you content with going Primary care?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    rg2o3 likes this.
  8. BorntobeDO?

    BorntobeDO? SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2013
    Messages:
    2,045
    Likes Received:
    2,295
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Get that MCAT up and reapply MD. Save yourself some money on tuition most likely also.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    SLC, QueenJames and rg2o3 like this.
  9. _Rod_of_Asclepius_

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2018
    Messages:
    112
    Likes Received:
    96
    Status:
    Medical Student (Accepted)
    Only you can decide that. I would have been a borderline MD applicant but knew I had a strong chance at DO. I know (roughly) exactly what awaits me in terms of specialties and matching, so know this before you commit to a DO program. Know how residencies / fellowships/ training pathways work and the scores roughly needed to make them happen. For example, GI is a competitive specialty but securing a decent IM program and excelling during residency will help you to obtain that fellowship vs matching straight to Derm which is arguably the most difficult specialty. People like @Goro and @AnatomyGrey12 are incredible DO resources and also will tell you how it is.
     
    Goro likes this.
  10. Peach Newport

    Peach Newport board certified in jewish dermatology
    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2014
    Messages:
    979
    Likes Received:
    1,670
    Status:
    Medical Student
    How to get research as a DO:

    Bust your ass and be prepared to spend ALOT of your free time networking. Your goal is to find one or more academic doctors who do clinical research, who publish high volume, who need help, and who take on med students. The vast majority of these work at MD schools and are pretty much always swamped with med students trying to work with them.

    You will probably need to send emails to several dozen, if not hundreds of doctors to find one who will meet you, much less let you work with them. Its hard enough to find one in any field, but finding one in something competitive like derm or neurosurgery is virtually impossible... unless you already know somebody.

    Be prepared to do research in a field with little interest to you. 7 pubs in geriatric endocrinology beats no pubs when it comes time to apply to ortho.
     
    WhereMyLiberalsAt and Goro like this.
  11. Angus Avagadro

    Physician Faculty

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2018
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    926
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    If you are interested in PC , FM, IM, you will be fine. Med school is hard. Work hard, and you will be fine.
     
  12. Goro

    Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    Messages:
    47,636
    Likes Received:
    67,865
    Status:
    Non-Student
    To this, add, Neuro, Psych, Path, Gas, EM, PM&R and with some work, Gen Surg.
     
  13. alprazoslam

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2018
    Messages:
    461
    Likes Received:
    953
    Do everything to dodge bottom quintile and you will be fine.
     
  14. Ho0v-man

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2014
    Messages:
    1,380
    Likes Received:
    2,821
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Retake the mcat before matriculation. If its solid for MD, dont attend a DO school. If its just to attend an “established DO school”screw it. Just get through ASAP. I had to defer starting a year after my acceptances bc of unforeseen circumstances. That year cost me a year of attending salary and now I’m competing against a couple hundred more DO applicants. Being at an older school just means the powerpoints are older and for some reason on SDN that matters...

    If you aren’t ok with the specialties mentioned above, don’t go DO. Go PA, finish in the bottom of your class, and work in ortho/CT surg/ER/derm, etc.

    Only an MD-level increase in mcat warrants a year delay.
     
    Scrubs101 likes this.
  15. JoTheGirl

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2018
    Messages:
    7
    Likes Received:
    9
    Status:
    Medical Student
    I would argue Gen Surg is easier to get into than EM.
     
  16. Angus Avagadro

    Physician Faculty

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2018
    Messages:
    522
    Likes Received:
    926
    Status:
    Attending Physician
    Established schools have worked out the kinks that newer schools are dealing with. Quality pre clinical instructors and rotations. The board score says it all
     
  17. Goro

    Faculty Verified Expert 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2010
    Messages:
    47,636
    Likes Received:
    67,865
    Status:
    Non-Student
    I would argue that based upon the PD's survey for 2018, you're wrong:

    upload_2019-1-10_20-46-45.png
     
  18. jd1031

    jd1031 jd1031
    10+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2007
    Messages:
    111
    Likes Received:
    50
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Every time I see a post like this, it seems to stem from an underlying anxiety and uncertainty of the future, and OPs of posts like this want some reassurance that everything will be ok. There's nothing wrong with that. I understand. It's like staring into the abyss, not knowing what's gonna happen after 300k+ and 4 years of your life.

    It's true that choosing to go the osteopathic route is inherently more risky, especially compared to the allopathic route, but nothing is guaranteed or completely "safe." It's best to get comfortable with that. The best thing you can do is focus on yourself and increase the odds you'll match somewhere you like in a specialty you like. Regarding the odds of matching at a "desirable" residency program, nothing has changed. It's still MD > DO >>>> Carib >>> everyone else (prestigious international med schools, like Cambridge etc, being the exception). The formula to get into a desirable residency is also still the same. Great LORs + Good USMLE score + Good clerkship grades + absence of red flags + not limiting yourself unnecessarily when applying for residency programs = success. Research can help a ton, esp if you're gunning for a more competitive specialty or big-name academia. Of course, the foundation of that formula is a good knowledge base, adaptability, good work ethic, good social/networking skills, and finding a field you enjoy (which makes the above exponentially easier to do).

    I've had a few classmates from med school that went unmatched and had to scramble. One was because of a low COMLEX score. The other was because he was overconfident and only applied to 4-5 residency programs. Another was because of a low COMELX score AND only applied to a few residency programs (why??). They all scrambled successfully, graduated from residency, and are either in fellowship or practicing.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #68 jd1031, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Goro and SynapticDoctah like this.

Share This Page