qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
Hi folks,

With the economy what it is and forecasted to stay this way for the forseeable future, just wondering if any of you have "felt" anything (yet)?

Ryan_eyeball

15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2005
Kansas
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Hi folks,

With the economy what it is and forecasted to stay this way for the forseeable future, just wondering if any of you have "felt" anything (yet)?

I'm actually up from last year, netting higher per month. But I'm very nervous all the time about the economy. Insurance is becoming more heavily dominate. Get on all the best insurances as possible, then weigh the decision on the crappy ones if they are worth taking. My state Medicaid will pay up to about a $105 for a new patient exam, whereas Eyecrap (Eyemed) will pay only $40.

I live in the Mid-west, and so far it hasn't hit too hard yet. I think it will be more challenging this year for new grads.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
Has anyone noticed a reduction in patients interested in refractive surgery (presumably due to the economy)?

About the Ads

IndianaOD

10+ Year Member
Feb 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Has anyone noticed a reduction in patients interested in refractive surgery (presumably due to the economy)?

It has tanked. Which is good because I'm not a fan to begin with. The local surgeons are way down on lasik.

qwopty99

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2006
Thanks. I suspected as much (I'm not in N.A. right now).

How about non-cosmetic types of surgery, e.g. cataract?

Same as before, or more/less?

jefguth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
British Columbia
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Thanks. I suspected as much (I'm not in N.A. right now).

How about non-cosmetic types of surgery, e.g. cataract?

Same as before, or more/less?

there have been a number of smaller lasik places entering bankruptcy protection. Cataract has been stable, by and large its a procedure that people use their medicare for, and have little out of pocket expense. However, I could imagine there are fewer people upgrading to premium IOL's.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.