RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
So I'll be starting residency in a few short months and I know I'll need a smart phone. Yes I guess I am a little lagging behind in technology and still just use a regular phone that has a qwerty keyboard for txting, no data plan or anything.

My sprint contract is about to run out and I think a smart-phone will not only be important for things like looking up labs and drugs but also for entertainment for when I am sitting around waiting.

I think I want a fully touchscreen phone, so that it has a big screen.

After doing some quick research I found a few phones from Verizon (best coverage) that might rival the iphone.

1) Droid Eris: Droid OS, has wifi, 8gb storage with expansion via microSD, 3.2" screen, 5MP camera with video, and 214min talk time with 373hrs standby time.

2) Storm II: Blackberry OS,has wifi, 16gb of storage with expansion via microSD, 3.25" screen, 3.2MP camera with flash and video. 330min talk time with 269hours of standby time.

3) Samsung Omnia II: Windows Mobile OS, has wifi, 8gb of storage with expansion via microSD, 3.7" screen, 5MP camera with flash and video, 360min talk time and 375 hrs of standby time. (can use microsoft office software)

Any other good phones out there? do any of you use these phones? I am kind of leaning towards the Samsung because of the bigger screen and battery life.

thanks for your help in advance.

Coastie

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hands down, yes.

So I'll be starting residency in a few short months and I know I'll need a smart phone. Yes I guess I am a little lagging behind in technology and still just use a regular phone that has a qwerty keyboard for txting, no data plan or anything.

My sprint contract is about to run out and I think a smart-phone will not only be important for things like looking up labs and drugs but also for entertainment for when I am sitting around waiting.

After doing some quick research I found a few phones from Verizon (best coverage) that might rival the iphone.

1) Droid Eris: Droid OS, has wifi, 8gb storage with expansion via microSD, 3.2" screen, 5MP camera with video, and 214min talk time with 373hrs standby time.

2) Storm II: Blackberry OS,has wifi, 16gb of storage with expansion via microSD, 3.25" screen, 3.2MP camera with flash and video. 330min talk time with 269hours of standby time.

3) Samsung Omnia II: Windows Mobile OS, has wifi, 8gb of storage with expansion via microSD, 3.7" screen, 5MP camera with flash and video, 360min talk time and 375 hrs of standby time. (can use microsoft office software)

Any other good phones out there? do any of you use these phones? I am kind of leaning towards the Samsung because of the bigger screen and battery life.

SukaNeNauka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 4, 2006
Status
Medical Student

Apple will most likely come out with a new version of iPhone this summer, they typically come out with a new version every year. New version will most likely, but not for sure, will support multi tasking, will have a better battery life, and will be even faster.

aneftp

7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2010
Status
Attending Physician

First of all, no carrier has the "best coverage" It all depends on your particular location. If your home as limited coverage, it's pointless to have a phone with that carrier. I lived in Washington DC (Verizon's backyard) and my Verizon coverage sucked. Some people swear by Verizon by claiming Verizon works in the Metro. Well duh, Verizon had a preexisiting Bell Atlantic Mobile contract with Washington's Metro and and had exclusive access to to the towers underground. My sister's Verizon phone wouldn't work in Tenn or Western Maryland while my ATT phone had coverage.

So my point is don't believe the hype. You have 30 days to try out a phone and test it's coverage before. If you don't like the coverage or the phone, you can return it (check the actual time you can return it, some may have 14 days, but don't wait until the last day to return it). I've had Sprint and Tmobile also in addition to ATT. I currently carry two phones. One a Tmobile branded Blackberry 9700 UMA capable phone and an iphone with ATT.

Now to answer your question: If you want a "mediacentric" phone, than by all means go for the iPhone. It has by far the best mobile web browser, and iPod. Apple has done a good job marketing the phone for people who aren't "phone junkies" like me. Don't believe any battery life the cell manufactures give you. If they say 330 minutes of talk time, it's probably close to 230 minutes of talk time. The iPhone typically lasts 4-6 hours of "heavy use". By heavy use, I mean you are physically touching the screen, playing on it all the time. I typically will get 4-6 hours of real time use on the phone. You will make it through the day since you won't be on it 4-6 hours.

The Droid will make it 4-6 hours also. The Android operating system is improving each day. I was one of the first Android users (Original G1 phone with Tmobile). All of these touchscreens have poorer than expected battery life. The reason is simple: the brighter the screens, the more you use it, the less the battery life.

My Blackberry Bold 9700 Tmobile branded phone is a battery beast. I can make it 2.5 days on regular use and 4 days with very light use. The Blackberry Storm (like all other touchscreens have horrible battery life when compared to a regular standard non smartphone). My Blackberry Bold has a special UMA software that only Tmobile supports in the US. If I have ZERO bars and hook onto a wifi signal, I get perfect cell reception again. It's a cool feature to have especailly when working in hospitals where coverage can suck. Just google "UMA" to find out what that's all about.

ATT and Verizon offer "Microcells" to improve cell phone reception via wifi. Google search, "Microcell" and see what that's all about.

So if you are intent on getting an iPhone, WAIT. I would not buy one right now. Wait until late May when Apple announced a new iPhone. Apple tends to release new iPhone models in June/July. You will be kicking yourself getting last year's model (the 3GS) when a newer iphone is just around the corner. Especially if you are getting it at the subsidize price of around $199/299. Remember all the major cell carriers require a $30 data plan if you purchase a smartphone with them these days.

As always, try before you commit to two years of contracts.

Go to

www.howardforums.com
www.phonescoop.com

I like those websites and they can give you more info on cell phones/carriers.

jabreal00

10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Status
Attending Physician
I was a Verizon customer for 8 years before switching over to ATT for the iPhone. ATT has been good. I am 85% satisfied. All underground metro stops in DC now have ATT coverage. Still no services in tunnels. I think by 2011 all carriers will have coverage. That was my only gripe about ATT. Otherwise I love the iPhone. ATT service is more than adequate.

Oh, as for my practice. The only thing I really use my iPhone for at work is epocrates and a regular dictionary. Nobody I knows apart from medical students puts any of those medical software on their phone with the exception of epocrates.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Thanks a lot of all your help guys and keep the suggestions coming...

I'll be moving to Detroit by the way, not DC, so I am sure coverage will be different there.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
First of all, no carrier has the "best coverage" It all depends on your particular location. If your home as limited coverage, it's pointless to have a phone with that carrier. I lived in Washington DC (Verizon's backyard) and my Verizon coverage sucked. Some people swear by Verizon by claiming Verizon works in the Metro. Well duh, Verizon had a preexisiting Bell Atlantic Mobile contract with Washington's Metro and and had exclusive access to to the towers underground. My sister's Verizon phone wouldn't work in Tenn or Western Maryland while my ATT phone had coverage.

So my point is don't believe the hype. You have 30 days to try out a phone and test it's coverage before. If you don't like the coverage or the phone, you can return it (check the actual time you can return it, some may have 14 days, but don't wait until the last day to return it). I've had Sprint and Tmobile also in addition to ATT. I currently carry two phones. One a Tmobile branded Blackberry 9700 UMA capable phone and an iphone with ATT.

Now to answer your question: If you want a "mediacentric" phone, than by all means go for the iPhone. It has by far the best mobile web browser, and iPod. Apple has done a good job marketing the phone for people who aren't "phone junkies" like me. Don't believe any battery life the cell manufactures give you. If they say 330 minutes of talk time, it's probably close to 230 minutes of talk time. The iPhone typically lasts 4-6 hours of "heavy use". By heavy use, I mean you are physically touching the screen, playing on it all the time. I typically will get 4-6 hours of real time use on the phone. You will make it through the day since you won't be on it 4-6 hours.

The Droid will make it 4-6 hours also. The Android operating system is improving each day. I was one of the first Android users (Original G1 phone with Tmobile). All of these touchscreens have poorer than expected battery life. The reason is simple: the brighter the screens, the more you use it, the less the battery life.

My Blackberry Bold 9700 Tmobile branded phone is a battery beast. I can make it 2.5 days on regular use and 4 days with very light use. The Blackberry Storm (like all other touchscreens have horrible battery life when compared to a regular standard non smartphone). My Blackberry Bold has a special UMA software that only Tmobile supports in the US. If I have ZERO bars and hook onto a wifi signal, I get perfect cell reception again. It's a cool feature to have especailly when working in hospitals where coverage can suck. Just google "UMA" to find out what that's all about.

ATT and Verizon offer "Microcells" to improve cell phone reception via wifi. Google search, "Microcell" and see what that's all about.

So if you are intent on getting an iPhone, WAIT. I would not buy one right now. Wait until late May when Apple announced a new iPhone. Apple tends to release new iPhone models in June/July. You will be kicking yourself getting last year's model (the 3GS) when a newer iphone is just around the corner. Especially if you are getting it at the subsidize price of around $199/299. Remember all the major cell carriers require a $30 data plan if you purchase a smartphone with them these days.

As always, try before you commit to two years of contracts.

Go to

www.howardforums.com
www.phonescoop.com

I like those websites and they can give you more info on cell phones/carriers.
Microcell wouldn't work in the hospital because you don't just hope on a wireless connection you plug a mini phone tower in the wireless connection and use that to boost your signal... So basically if AT&T doesn't work in my hospital I won't be getting an Iphone.

I know verizon works everywhere in the hospital, not sure how well AT&T does...

So what's the best/coolest verizon phone to get? I really doubt the Iphone will come out for Verizon. But I am still waiting to get a phone till I start my residency.

stargirl50

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I got an iPhone this year and I LOVE it. I had a Blackberry before, which did what it was supposed to do (email, internet access) but it just wasn't fun. Having to switch to AT&T was the major reason I waited so long... I have to say though, the reception isn't as good as it was with Sprint, but it's adequate. There's a rumor that Verizon is getting the iPhone this summer (who knows though, I think this has been the rumor for awhile) and in that case I see no dilemma. Like you said, you'll use your phone for Epocrates etc next year, but just as often you'll be screwing around playing Monopoly, Scrabble, etc, or listening to music while typing up those endless H&Ps.

DScully

5+ Year Member
Dec 31, 2009
Status
I'll be moving to Detroit by the way, not DC, so I am sure coverage will be different there.
If I remember correctly, the residents (at the place you will be going based on your prior posts) advocate for Verizon. AT&T didn't really work there.

Jeep23Guy

Texan
7+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yes, the iphone is the best phone on the market.

It sounds dramatic, but it changed my life when I got it...maybe it doesn't say much coming from a palm treo, but it did. I'm just glad it works in the hospital/OR where I'll be doing my residency.

aneftp

7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
The iPhone is for the sheep who don't know any better. There are tons of other better phones out there.

Check out the Sprint Evo 4g, coming out this summer. It has a better screen, 4g internet connection, it's faster, has two cameras, can record HD video.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/23/htc-evo-4g-is-sprints-android-powered-knight-in-superphone-armo/

Or check out the Nexus One.

Again, don't be one of the sheep.
Very good points. However, I think the OP describes themselves as a "regular joe". That HTC sprint wimax/4g phone looks pretty awesome. But Sprint is in danger, financially. Frankly if Sprint had opted to go with LTE for it's 4G technology, Verizon would have brought them over. As for now, of the 4 major carriers left, Sprint is the only one going with WiMax (4G), while Tmobile, ATT, Verizon are going for LTE as the standard.

But think about a phone 80% of "regular joes" would be happy with and the iPhone fits for the majority of people.

I personally don't use the iPhone as my primary phone. My "go to phone" has and will always be my blackberry (currently have the Bold 9700).

So I advise people who don't know much about cell phones to go with the iPhone. Most everyone has been very happy with their selection. Those Android phones are still improving but Android is still 1 year behind the iPhone OS (yes I've even tried the Nexus One...it's not up to par with the iPhone and I'm a phone junkie who goes through 5-6 phones a year...I buy/resale all the time).

GoodmanBrown

is walking down the path.
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what's the best/coolest verizon phone to get? I really doubt the Iphone will come out for Verizon. But I am still waiting to get a phone till I start my residency.
You maybe can hold out hope for the iPhone coming in June, but I agree with you that it's unlikely. I think it'll come out in 2011 when Verizon rolls out its LTE network.

My phone recommendation for Verizon:

1) The Nexus One should come out sometime this month for Verizon. Great Android phone, and you can expect to keep getting the newest OS updates as they come out. With 3rd party phones, that's not guaranteed. Android is also going to be the most prominent smartphone OS before too long, so I think apps will eventually catch up to the iPhone.

2) Motorola Droid: I have a friend who has this. It's a nice phone, and I like the slide-out keyboard. Droid users have been waiting forever for an Android 2.1 roll-out though, so I'm not sure you can assume the Droid will keep up with the Android OS which is a pain.

Three other phones to watch for:

1) Samsung Galaxy S: Amazing screen by all standards (AMOLED), 1 Ghz processor that could match the iPad, Android OS. Sounds crazy nice. GPS w/ 3D navigation. Not sure if this is coming out for Verizon though, as I read it has GSM tech in it.

2) HTC EVO 4G: Probably the most exciting phone coming out of the cell phone trade show (who's name I now forget...). This is the first 4G phone that I know of using Sprint's new network. By the end of this year and early next, Spring and Verizon are both rolling out their new networks which promise much faster data speeds. The EVO looks crazy nice with a 4.3" screen. It runs the newest Android kernel. It's a Spring exclusive right now though, so I'm not sure it fits the bill, but it's a nice phone.

2) Dell Aero: Probably doesn't have the wow factor that the Galaxy does, but a solid Android phone. Maybe more tailored to people interested in Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Flicker, etc. Not sure though. Probably a distant second to the Nexus One.

Last edited:

yasha83

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status
Russian,

Might be worthwhile to call a couple residents if you're friendly with anyone at your new place in Detroit and ask them if they get service with ATT, Verizon etc in the OR...

If my iphone didn't get service on the 3rd floor of some hospital, where the ORs are located, where I'm spending 4-5 years of my future, as much fun as it is, I'd replace my Iphone with a carrier that worked flawlessly. It's just a toy afterall, beyond the phone functions and some web stuff. In the OR, I'd want coverage. Period.

I'm curious. (not to hijack) But I've been to a dozen or so hospitals in the US to shadow anesthesiologists, only ONE place (on Long Island) had an anesthesia cart where I saw the Doctor on the internet (checking doses) ;) on a monitor on the cart. Of course wi-fi is available in certain locations on laptops, but, access on a monitor ON the cart, is this common now, or not? Not advocating or discussing safety, but do carts have screens and keyboards in many places like I saw that one day...?

Enjoy your new home Russian!

D712

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
You maybe can hold out hope for the iPhone coming in June, but I agree with you that it's unlikely. I think it'll come out in 2011 when Verizon rolls out its LTE network.

My phone recommendation for Verizon:

1) The Nexus One should come out sometime this month for Verizon. Great Android phone, and you can expect to keep getting the newest OS updates as they come out. With 3rd party phones, that's not guaranteed. Android is also going to be the most prominent smartphone OS before too long, so I think apps will eventually catch up to the iPhone.

2) Motorola Droid: I have a friend who has this. It's a nice phone, and I like the slide-out keyboard. Droid users have been waiting forever for an Android 2.1 roll-out though, so I'm not sure you can assume the Droid will keep up with the Android OS which is a pain.

Three other phones to watch for:

1) Samsung Galaxy S: Amazing screen by all standards (AMOLED), 1 Ghz processor that could match the iPad, Android OS. Sounds crazy nice. GPS w/ 3D navigation. Not sure if this is coming out for Verizon though, as I read it has GSM tech in it.

2) HTC EVO 4G: Probably the most exciting phone coming out of the cell phone trade show (who's name I now forget...). This is the first 4G phone that I know of using Sprint's new network. By the end of this year and early next, Spring and Verizon are both rolling out their new networks which promise much faster data speeds. The EVO looks crazy nice with a 4.3" screen. It runs the newest Android kernel. It's a Spring exclusive right now though, so I'm not sure it fits the bill, but it's a nice phone.

2) Dell Aero: Probably doesn't have the wow factor that the Galaxy does, but a solid Android phone. Maybe more tailored to people interested in Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Flicker, etc. Not sure though. Probably a distant second to the Nexus One.
Thanks for the phones I new there had to be other great phones out there other than the iphone.

So it looks like the Android OS is the one to get? Is windows mobile a much worse OS?

I totally forgot about the google phone.. seems like everything google makes just like apple is also pretty nice and slick looking. That samsung galaxy phone looks sweet, hopefully verizon gets it in july when I plan on getting a new phone.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
It is happening, a CDMA iphone is in the works, it is just a question of when. Although I don't see it happening until late 2010, which admittedly might not help you if your contract runs out now-ish. I'm planning to hold out until then.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304370304575152242601774892.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLETopStories
thanks for the info buddy,

I did hear that the iphone/ATT contract runs out at the end of this summer, I also read somewhere that Verizon won't come out with G4 for another year or so and sprint will be the first to have G4. but it seems like there are plenty of other great phones out there as well. I don't really care about all the apps. the only app i care about is good fast web-browser, a PDF reader and a solid media player. and I think many phones have that.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Russian,

Might be worthwhile to call a couple residents if you're friendly with anyone at your new place in Detroit and ask them if they get service with ATT, Verizon etc in the OR...

If my iphone didn't get service on the 3rd floor of some hospital, where the ORs are located, where I'm spending 4-5 years of my future, as much fun as it is, I'd replace my Iphone with a carrier that worked flawlessly. It's just a toy afterall, beyond the phone functions and some web stuff. In the OR, I'd want coverage. Period.

I'm curious. (not to hijack) But I've been to a dozen or so hospitals in the US to shadow anesthesiologists, only ONE place (on Long Island) had an anesthesia cart where I saw the Doctor on the internet (checking doses) ;) on a monitor on the cart. Of course wi-fi is available in certain locations on laptops, but, access on a monitor ON the cart, is this common now, or not? Not advocating or discussing safety, but do carts have screens and keyboards in many places like I saw that one day...?

Enjoy your new home Russian!

D712
I totally agree with you about having a phone that has the best reception in the hospitals that i'll be working in will be my #1 choice for the phones. I asked a resident before and he said it was verizon, i just thought that maybe the ATT works too but this particular resident just has verizon but after talking to a few others Verizon has the best service in the hospitals where i'll be spending most of my time. So for now the Iphone is out of the picture.

As for carts with screens, maybe it was a pyxis machine? those have touch screens and lexi-comp software preinstalled that has things like drug info in it. Those are pretty common and I played with them all the time during my anesthesia rotations. I also had a few anesthesia attending who just brought in laptops and cleared a space for them, plugged them into the wall and would use them to do whatever they wanted. A few places that I interviewed at had electronic anesthesia records and each OR would have a desktop and the attending/resident could just angle the monitor so that the surgeon wouldn't see it and check their emails or shop during the case. So it's not uncommon for that to happen. most others would just use their phones to surf the web and that's what i'll most likely be doing.

aneftp

7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Do NOT get a windows mobile phone AT THIS time. Microsoft has already announced any current 6.5 version of Windows Mobile cannot be upgraded (legally). MSFT will not support it.

If you must, wait for Windows 7 Mobile to be released which is late fall 2010. None of the current crop of win 6.5 phones can be upgraded.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
So it looks like there a lots of great phones out there. Thanks everyone for all your help.

My Sprint contract runs out in May, and I don't want to get a new phone till late June or early July do you guys think that my contract will automatically get renewed if I don't call up sprint on the day it ends and stop my service? I am pretty sure unless I renew it myself they can't just renew it for me, and until I renew it i'll just be paying my monthly service fees and won't have a contract.

Also a big part of what phone i'll end up getting will be if I can install the hospital software on it so that I can look up patient labs on my phone so i'll have a nice long chat with the IT guys at my hospital before settling on a phone.

aneftp

7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
So it looks like there a lots of great phones out there. Thanks everyone for all your help.

My Sprint contract runs out in May, and I don't want to get a new phone till late June or early July do you guys think that my contract will automatically get renewed if I don't call up sprint on the day it ends and stop my service? I am pretty sure unless I renew it myself they can't just renew it for me, and until I renew it i'll just be paying my monthly service fees and won't have a contract.

Also a big part of what phone i'll end up getting will be if I can install the hospital software on it so that I can look up patient labs on my phone so i'll have a nice long chat with the IT guys at my hospital before settling on a phone.
Just remember cell phone contracts are not pro-rated. So if your Sprint contract ends on the 24th of the month, try to switch on the 22nd of the month to another carrier. Say if you switch on the 25th of the month to a new carrier (Verizon) but your Sprint contract ends of the 24th, you end up paying for the entire next Sprint month (June 25-July 24).

Just remember that tiny little "gotcha" the cell phone carriers play to increase revenue.

doctor712

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 14, 2008
Status
I totally agree with you about having a phone that has the best reception in the hospitals that i'll be working in will be my #1 choice for the phones. I asked a resident before and he said it was verizon, i just thought that maybe the ATT works too but this particular resident just has verizon but after talking to a few others Verizon has the best service in the hospitals where i'll be spending most of my time. So for now the Iphone is out of the picture.

As for carts with screens, maybe it was a pyxis machine? those have touch screens and lexi-comp software preinstalled that has things like drug info in it. Those are pretty common and I played with them all the time during my anesthesia rotations. I also had a few anesthesia attending who just brought in laptops and cleared a space for them, plugged them into the wall and would use them to do whatever they wanted. A few places that I interviewed at had electronic anesthesia records and each OR would have a desktop and the attending/resident could just angle the monitor so that the surgeon wouldn't see it and check their emails or shop during the case. So it's not uncommon for that to happen. most others would just use their phones to surf the web and that's what i'll most likely be doing.
Russian,

Not sure about Pyxis. All I can say is that the screen wasn't limited to med software, this was full-on internet browsing, stock quotes, email, the whole shebang. Didn't think that was an option at this point, ON the cart. But anyway...not critical was just curious.

D712

note: it wasn't pyxis, just looked at image of that machine. this was a comp screen and keyboard ON the cart. as part of cart.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Do NOT get a windows mobile phone AT THIS time. Microsoft has already announced any current 6.5 version of Windows Mobile cannot be upgraded (legally). MSFT will not support it.

If you must, wait for Windows 7 Mobile to be released which is late fall 2010. None of the current crop of win 6.5 phones can be upgraded.
thanks for that info.

Feb 27, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical

I've had Sprint for 4 years. They will not renew your contract unless you ask. So basicly, you just have to pay your bill as usual every month after your contract ends. And Aneftp is right about the "gotcha" clause so make sure you calculate exactly when is the best time to cut them off, or you could end up paying extra for only a few days of service.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
Just remember cell phone contracts are not pro-rated. So if your Sprint contract ends on the 24th of the month, try to switch on the 22nd of the month to another carrier. Say if you switch on the 25th of the month to a new carrier (Verizon) but your Sprint contract ends of the 24th, you end up paying for the entire next Sprint month (June 25-July 24).

Just remember that tiny little "gotcha" the cell phone carriers play to increase revenue.
Do you mean the payment cycle? I am on a family plan so really it would only be an extra $10 for that month.. In terms of prices sprint is awesome, kind of sucks that i'll have to switch. Their nights and weekends start at 7pm to 7am so basically from 7pm friday to 7am monday you talk without using a single one of your minutes. Also I called them a few times asking for a free phone and they would just give me a few months of service for free so that I could use that money to buy a new phone, and a few years ago I wanted to sign up for their online user account but they would have to send me a txt message to activate the account and I didn't have txt messaging, so the lady just gave me 1,000 txts a month free. Maybe that's why they're in financial troubles because they give away too much stuff for free? I've been with them for over 10 years so maybe that's why they're so nice to me but their costumer service is pretty good.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've had Sprint for 4 years. They will not renew your contract unless you ask. So basicly, you just have to pay your bill as usual every month after your contract ends. And Aneftp is right about the "gotcha" clause so make sure you calculate exactly when is the best time to cut them off, or you could end up paying extra for only a few days of service.
yeah that's what I figured.. and I actually now remember that if you renew the contract yourself you'll get $50 off your next bill, and this is for every line on that account. I have 3 on mine so they took off $150.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for the phones I new there had to be other great phones out there other than the iphone.

So it looks like the Android OS is the one to get? Is windows mobile a much worse OS?

I totally forgot about the google phone.. seems like everything google makes just like apple is also pretty nice and slick looking. That samsung galaxy phone looks sweet, hopefully verizon gets it in july when I plan on getting a new phone.
I think the Nexus One (i.e. Googlephone) is a pretty slick Android phone. In my mind, it's the best one out there, but others may disagree.

Re: Windows Mobile, I echo what Aneftp said. Wait for Windows Phone 7 phones to come out (if then). You can't upgrade from Windows Mobile 6.5, so it'd be a huge mistake to get a Windows phone before 7.

I don't know if there are a ton of medical apps for Windows Mobile 6.5, and when Windows Phone 7 comes out, there will be no native apps. I don't know if you can port 6.5 apps or not, but it's a pretty different interface, OS kernel, etc., so I'm guessing there'll be some hitches. And unless Windows Phone 7 sees huge adoption, that's just one more phone OS for app makers to port Epocrates, etc. onto. So, you'll likely be stuck in limbo for at least a year or so without any significant software for the phone.

For me, it's all about apps. iPhone currently has the most, but Android is catching up. I doubt any other phone OS will compete with these two for at least 5 years. Here's why:

(Source: arstechnica.com)

The only OS rising is Android. Windows Phone 7 may catch up in some distant day, but the 3rd party software will come pretty far behind that. Android is on the upswing and will soon surpass iPhone OS. Software developers are already seeing this and I'm guessing they're reacting accordingly.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yeah the only thing i don't like about the nexus one is that stupid trackball. but as of right now it's definitely the front runner for my new phone, i just hope it stays at $180 when it comes at for verizon.

or i might wait for this bad boy to comeout.

http://www.pomegranatephone.com/

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuVyExV8SYo&feature=channel[/YOUTUBE]

I hope we can get the SNES emulator for the nexus like the one for the Nokia N900
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3X1pDALSzE[/YOUTUBE]

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah the only thing i don't like about the nexus one is that stupid trackball. but as of right now it's definitely the front runner for my new phone, i just hope it stays at $180 when it comes at for verizon.
I've thought the same thing about the trackball. I guess it's there as a legacy type thing, but I feel like it's just taking up valuable real-estate.

As for price, I can't imagine they'd price it above $199 to stay even with the iPhone's subsidized price.

or i might wait for this bad boy to comeout.

http://www.pomegranatephone.com/
:thumbup: I heard that the Epocrates beta is coming out for the Pomegranate this summer. :laugh:

I hope we can get the SNES emulator for the nexus like the one for the Nokia N900.
They've already got it. iPhone has one too, but you have to hack it in since it's not an approved app.

SOUNDMAN

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2004
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Palm Pre baby! I love this phone and WebOS is flat out awesome operating system.

Multitasking...REAL multitasking with third party applications.

Epocrates beta is out for it (just like any android device) and lexi-comp, PEPID

Notification system is superior to Iphone.

Real-time push e-mail compared to BB

Applications - continue to develop new ones and with the PDK out, makes it so application developers can easily port any Iphone app to WebOS for developers. Clearly this is the weakpoint in Palm Pre but they have continued to develop applications at a surprising rate, and at only being out for 9 months, the catalog is gaining speed each and every day.

Touchscreen - full touch screen, but does have a slide out hardware keyboard that is very nice. Gestures are very intuitive and all the features that the iphone has.

Updates - continually get updates to improve the OS and functionality and speed.

Synergy - complete syncing of all your accounts gmail, hotmail, facebook, Exchange, etc and merges them all together in to a single contact.

Chat - Syncs google chat, IM, and text under the same conversation, no need for multiple chat/IM programs.

Tethering - able to set up Palm Pre as a wifi hotspot for four devices to connect to. Don't know if Iphone does this. I know BB can do it depending on what version you are on I think.

Take one for a test drive and see what you think, especially if you are on Sprint you can get a great deal on them right now.

check out www.precentral.net for more information.

hoyden

10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
Is the Iphone still the best phone out there?
Nope. there is Droid, which is much better.

And get Verizon )))) AT&T sucked big time. Now I am getting connection everywhere in the hospital.

Last edited:

Narcotized

7+ Year Member
May 10, 2009
Status
Not much love on this board for the T-Mobile. I think they have the best service. I had Sprint for 2 days. Sat on hold for over 45 minutes twice in those 2 days waiting for customer service. They never answered. Went back to the store and said, "Here's your phone back, see ya." Went with T-Mobile later that day and they have been awesome with customer service, about 8 years now.

I have the G1 Google phone. Seems to get a bad rap, but not sure why. Does everything I need; phone, net, gps, email, music, alarm, camera, calendar, weather, calculator, and what I really dig, the flashlight for the small print menu in a dark restaurant. What the Hell else do you need? Practically makes me having a desk obsolete. My one complaint is the couple second delay between clicking the camera and the picture actually being taken. Why the crap does it do that? Drives me nuts sometimes.

Jay K

nullum gratuitum prandium
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2008
ハードボイルド・ ワンダーランド
Status
Attending Physician
In residency you'll be tied to your pager and probably using landlines in the hospital (saves on your mobile bill too); Reception for your cell phone is not integral.

In private practice, our group does not use pagers. Cell phones are used constantly to reach the coordinator, call the charge desk, call partners, call CRNA's, get notified that the patient is in the room, called by the floor, RN's, etc.

I use an iPhone because I like mainstream devices; Mainstream often means cheaper and/or free, as well as a greater variety of applications. As far as apps go, I will use Epocrates on occasion due to new brand name drugs I am not familiar with and checking on occasional drug interactions/adverse reactions.

I like the iPhone and true web browsing capabilities mainly for accessing anesthesiology related websites like ASRA or ABA for consensus statements or ACC/AHA, etc. I access NYSORA from time to time to review blocks I've not done in a while.

For those long uncomplicated cases, the web browsing, email functions and applications on the iPhone help me pass the time and conduct group business.

I do not text, nor do I have a text plan.

racerx

ASA Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2001
Status
Attending Physician
yeah the only thing i don't like about the nexus one is that stupid trackball. but as of right now it's definitely the front runner for my new phone. . .
I personally like the trackball on my wife's HTC Eris. She hates it, and only uses the touch-screen. I suppose you could just use the touch-screen on the nexus too.

I hope we can get the SNES emulator for the nexus like the one for the Nokia N900
Already have it for the android 2.0 phones. I have it on my Droid, but haven't used it yet. They also have Sega and GBA emulators out there too.

I love my Droid. It is a bit bulky and not as elegant as the Eris, but is everything I need. Battery life can be an issue. However, if you manage it via judicious use of the wifi and auto updating switches in settings, you can get a couple of days of intermittent use no problem.

There are more and more med apps coming out. I have the Skyscape freebies and Epocrates beta loaded right now. I can't wait until the full epocrates comes out.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
I've thought the same thing about the trackball. I guess it's there as a legacy type thing, but I feel like it's just taking up valuable real-estate.

As for price, I can't imagine they'd price it above $199 to stay even with the iPhone's subsidized price.

:thumbup: I heard that the Epocrates beta is coming out for the Pomegranate this summer. :laugh:

They've already got it. iPhone has one too, but you have to hack it in since it's not an approved app.
I just read that the nexus one for verizon will be sold only from the google website like the other nexus one phones thus google will be controlling the price so it should remain at $180... I am getting pretty excited about this phone, maybe the new edition will have no trackball? in which case maybe i should just get a blackberry curve for like $30 and wait for the new edition to come out if it comes out in a year that would be great. I take care of my phones, an average phone lasts me 6 years or more. but then again if it's a few years before a new nexus one comes out then i'll just get it.

Last edited:

Camel

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I think the original question depends on the user. I am a tech geek and I like to mess with everything on my phone and configure it to my exact uses... and I have the know-how or the willingness to learn. The iphone has some of that with jailbreaking, but there is a reason why the homebrew community chooses windows mobile phones for that kind of thing. I have a Touch Pro 2 on Sprint's SERO plan (30ish/month for unlimited internet, text, after 7pm minutes). I wouldn't buy a windows mobile phone unless you are in a similar situation (SERO cannot be used with other phones without a lot of hassle). BUT, I LOVE my TP2. It is setup with GPS, movies, tv shows, all of my ebooks, my most-used websites, medical software, camera, music, books-on-tape, etc. Full 5-line keyboard, tilt screen, HUGE high-res touchscreen (though not capacitive, but I am used to resistive). I love it, but I like to mess with windows mobile. Most probably will not. In that event, I'd listen to the arguments for Android vs. iphone at this point, and would probably wait for iphone's new version (if for no other reason than to say "psshh not worth it" and either get the newly-cheaper GS or go for an Android).

Peace.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just read that the nexus one for verizon will be sold only from the google website like the other nexus one phones thus google will be controlling the price so it should remain at $180... I am getting pretty excited about this phone, maybe the new edition will have no trackball? in which case maybe i should just get a blackberry curve for like $30 and wait for the new edition to come out if it comes out in a year that would be great. I take care of my phones an average phone lasts me 6 years or more. but then again if it's a few years before a nexus one comes out then i'll just get it.
I think there's a good chance of that as Google is set on selling their phone first, then having you choose your provider second.

As for no trackball, it's hard to tell. Rumors indicate the "Nexus Two" will be more Droid-like and aimed at the business market. So, I'm not sure it's up your alley anyhow. I don't know when a "Nexus One II" will come out, but I wouldn't expect it until next spring or summer. I haven't read any rumors of it.

One thing to note is that it's still pretty decent technology all things considered. The processor is clocked comparably to the Galaxy S and the EVO 4G. The screen is a super-nice AMOLED display that matches those phones (only a touch smaller at 3.7, instead of 4.0 and 4.3 respectively). It's got Wifi, GPS, and all the other necessary goodies.

I kinda laughed at myself when I re-read the previous two paragraphs. The Nexus One came out this year, in January (like 3 months ago!). The phones I mention above haven't even come out yet and won't until this summer or fall. And I'm already talking like the Nexus One is almost obsolete, pondering the next Nexus One, and considering the iPhone 4G as a concrete product. I think I read too many tech sites...

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
yeah i just hope they start offering it for verizon soon. rumor had it was supposed to come out for verizon on March 23rd, and verizon is denying everything saying they never said that nexus will be avaialable for their network.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
yeah i just hope they start offering it for verizon soon. rumor had it was supposed to come out for verizon on March 23rd, and verizon is denying everything saying they never said that nexus will be avaialable for their network.
I would be surprised if it wasn't out by this summer when you're phone shopping. By then, there should be concrete word about whether or not the iPhone 4G coming out for Verizon this summer as well, so you'd be able to make that comparison.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
RJ,

Not sure you're still digging for phone advice, but I just read about the HTC Droid Incredible that's coming out at the end of this month on Verizon. Pretty much sounds like the Nexus One, but without the trackball. Take a gander.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
RJ,

Not sure you're still digging for phone advice, but I just read about the HTC Droid Incredible that's coming out at the end of this month on Verizon. Pretty much sounds like the Nexus One, but without the trackball. Take a gander.

cool thanks for the update.. hopefully it actually comes out.. I hate how all this stuff is rumors for now. why can't they just tell us so people can wait to buy one if they want it.

GoodmanBrown

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2009
In the forest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
cool thanks for the update.. hopefully it actually comes out.. I hate how all this stuff is rumors for now. why can't they just tell us so people can wait to buy one if they want it.
Agreed. I go in cycles where I'll get really interested in new tech stuff coming out and read up on tons of stuff, then kinda flame out when I realize I'm not even in the market to get a smartphone/laptop/iPad/whatever and that I'm wasting my time. So, then I'll just go cold turkey awhile. Then I'll slowly start to check stuff out more and more frequently. And the cycle continues.

Kinda like SDN, where I realize I've gotten into med school, but won't start for another 5 months, and won't choose my specialty for another 3 years.

At any rate, Verizon stores and Best Buy are taking pre-orders for this phone starting on Monday, so I think this one's a definite. Still no concrete word on the iPhone or Nexus One for Verizon though... I'll probably end up bumping this thread in like 4 years when the iPhone actually comes out for Verizon. I'll be a resident by that point...

RussianJoo

Useless Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2004
Rock City
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
well i want to play with the phone before i buy it.. thus buying a nexus one might be tough. i'll probably just end up getting whatever the best phone is at the verizon store when i go there.

thanks again for the update.