is the learning curving for dentistry easier than org chem, bio, pchem, biochem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AceDentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did a biochemistry major and I gotta said it was very tough. Not only there is a lab component for every course, some courses are conceptually hard to grasp (i.e. physical chem I, II, III and Calculus I, II, III) :eek:

I know in dental school, you are forced down LOTS of materials in your throat at such short period of time. But are the materials pretty easy to understand?

I am just wondering if the learning curving for dentistry is easier than org chem, bio, pchem, biochem courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Dental school doesn't really compare to undergrad in the sciences. I was a biochem major too, it was tough. In dental school you sorta need to memorize a ton of facts and it is far less conceptual then what you would ever do in pchem or biochemistry in undergrad for chem majors. The material is a lot easier to understand if you were a science major but just takes time to study, it isn't hard necessarily though.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, dental school was easier than bchem, pchem, ochem, calculus, or material engneering.

Not hard, just time consuming. Saddle up for a beatdown in the pre-clinical classes though ;).

hear hear! You can handle the academics fine, but when you pick up a drill for the first time and, for once in your life perhaps, actually fail something, it's like hitting a wall. Apparently everyone catches up though ;) It's a totally new skill, but you're well-trained enough in spitting out medical stuff that you catch on to the coursework pretty quickly.

is the learning curving for dentistry easier than org chem, bio, pchem, biochem?

Yes -- If you've got "hands"

I was a Bio. major / Chem minor. But I sent a life building models, doing woodworking, sewing, building electronic gizmos, making jewelry and that kind of thing before college.

The carving part of dental school was a snap for me. However, I had fellow students that "smoked" undergrad but found the "handy work" part of dental school very challenging.

I was a biochem major as well, and think biochem sucks now. I loved my major and thought.. Well I will like again in dental school. Wrong biochem in dental school is like watching a movie when you have already read the book. As I am studying for my final right now trying to memorize seemingly useless facts which were throne at me in an arbitrary fashion. If you have the option to opt out of biochem do it.

I find dental school frustrating in that it seems as though it rewards you the most for being able to memorize a lot of arbitrary facts very quickly. Yes, I know I have to play the game to get along, but I find this so boring. The exciting part is trying to sort out the useful information and put all the little bits and pieces from all your different classes together...so you can figure out what the heck is going on with your patients!

Ultimately, there's the knowledge that YOU REALLY NEED FOR PATIENT CARE and then there's the stuff that YOU NEED TO KNOW TO PASS THE BOARDS and then there's all the rest that you will just brain dump.

As I am studying for my final right now trying to memorize seemingly useless facts which were throne at me in an arbitrary fashion. do it.

I think we have the same teacher:laugh: