Is the MCAT given in foreign countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girlscientist

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knew whether the MCAT was given in countries outside the U.S. I want to do volunteer work in the caribbean this summer and I was hoping to take the august MCAT. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, it defenitly is. I remember there was a listing of several countries that offered it in the MCAT registration handbook. You can also try looking at the aamc.org site.

You can usually take the MCAT or almost any standardized test given in the states at any USIS (United State Information Service) office. These are usually located in the capital cities of most U.S. "friendly" countires. I took the GRE and my friend took the MCAT in Zimbabwe without a problem.

[This message has been edited by mpp (edited 02-13-2001).]

Members don't see this ad :)
When our MCAT's were lost this August we were scheduled to take the retest on October 14th. One of my friends was leaving for the Peace Corps the day of the retest, so he scheduled to retake it in Australia....

Hi mpp:
You mentioned that you took the GRE and your friend took the MCAT in Zimbabwe without a problem. The place I am going to is Barbados and it is not designated as MCAT test center overseas. Could you tell me how you went about getting permission to take the test? Is is possible to make special arrangements? Thanks for any help.

I just found out that USIS is no longer called USIS but is called International Information Programs, but I'm pretty sure its the same thing.

I would check with the U.S. Embassy in Barbados. Here is their information (from their website):

Street address:
Public Affairs Section (PAS)
CIBC Building, Broad Street
Bridgetown
Barbados

Mailing address:
P.O. Box 302
Bridgetown
Barbados

Phone: [246] 436-4950
Fax: [246] 429-5316

E-Mail Addresses:
Reference/Outreach Librarian - Juanita Lynch: [email protected]

Then also check with AAMC about taking the MCAT overseas. Good luck.

What will you be doing in Barbados?

hi mpp,
thanks for the info, unfortunately I won't be able to take the MCAT in Barbados. I'll be doing a research project on incidences of cancer and mortality over there.