Is the new OPT policy (29months) applied to DDS/DMD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovedental

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A recent news is that qualified students in US will have OPT period extended to 29 months. But there is some requirements and seems that only those in science, engineering, technology,or mathematics (STEM) can be eligible for the new policy.

Does anybody know if we, after getting DDS/DMD, can use this new policy? I don't know if DDS/DMD fall into the categories of STEM.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

A recent news is that qualified students in US will have OPT period extended to 29 months. But there is some requirements and seems that only those in science, engineering, technology,or mathematics (STEM) can be eligible for the new policy.

Does anybody know if we, after getting DDS/DMD, can use this new policy? I don't know if DDS/DMD fall into the categories of STEM.

Thanks
I didn't get a chance to look into new eligibility requirements, but right now it's just a proposal to extend the duration of OPT to 29 months. There are very high chances that it will be implemented soon.

this link can give you some idea about eligibilty requirements. I think some one with DDS/DMD should fit into it as long as one has been working for 12 months in an e-verifiable job.
http://www.shusterman.com/pdf/opt408.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks.
The key issue is that DDS/DMD may not fall into the so called STEM categories coz it is not a technically science subject. That is what I am worrying about.

what's OPT?

thanks.
The key issue is that DDS/DMD may not fall into the so called STEM categories coz it is not a technically science subject. That is what I am worrying about.
If its not technically a science field, then what is it.?
Don't get carried away by the degree. Ex: Medical sciences, dental sciences, veterinary sciences etc.
It definitely falls in the STEM categories. Good luck!

Hi folks,
just to clear out the confusion;
go to www.dhs.gov, they have a press release about the OPT issue. this document has the NCES CIP codes of the fields eligible for the new 29 mo OPT pproposal...
I checked the code for DDS/DMD, it is 51.0410.
Unfortunately, we dont qualify for this 29 mo OPT thing, but the good news is, is i understand it right, that we will be able to work in months after our OPT expires if we get the H1b. that means mostly from june to october, the time that we are out of status, we can now work..
Hope this helps
mkot

i know that there is a special category for a dentist along with doctore and liers. they come in super skilled category which doesnot fall under the quota system of h1b. so it is highly unlikely that you dont get h1b because there is no limit for that category and the better part of it is that the processing of your green card is much faster than the other one.

i know that there is a special category for a dentist along with doctore and liers. they come in super skilled category which doesnot fall under the quota system of h1b. so it is highly unlikely that you dont get h1b because there is no limit for that category and the better part of it is that the processing of your green card is much faster than the other one.
H1b quota doesn't apply if you work for a non-profit organisation (eg' hospital in our case) regardless of your profession, for any other job category (like working for a private clinic in our case),one will have to compete for H1B quota with every one else, and the H1B quota visa's are assigned by lottery these days.
Immigrant visa numbers under skilled categories are for green card only, not for H1B.

H1b quota doesn't apply if you work for a non-profit organisation (eg' hospital in our case) regardless of your profession, for any other job category (like working for a private clinic in our case),one will have to compete for H1B quota with every one else, and the H1B quota visa's are assigned by lottery these days.
Immigrant visa numbers under skilled categories are for green card only, not for H1B.

Excellent explanation.

Let me continue to ask:

What is the chance for DMD/DDS to be hired by a hospital as a non-profit institution. In another word, are there many job opportunities in such hospitals?
I guess less than private but hope there are enough for us. Then, H1B will be no problem and what a big release.

some addition:
The hospital also has to be affiliated to a University to be able to have H1B without quota.

Therefore, here comes another question:
Are such hospitals providing many dental jobs, enough for us?

Thanks for any information

some addition:
The hospital also has to be affiliated to a University to be able to have H1B without quota.

Therefore, here comes another question:
Are such hospitals providing many dental jobs, enough for us?

Thanks for any information

I think most of the H1B residencies fall in this category.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think most of the H1B residencies fall in this category.
But according to what I know, people who is doing residency like in AEGD
(Advanced education in general dentistry) is actually holding F-1 VISA, instead of H1B. Correct me if that is not the case.

But according to what I know, people who is doing residency like in AEGD
(Advanced education in general dentistry) is actually holding F-1 VISA, instead of H1B. Correct me if that is not the case.
thats true. there might be other possibilities becasue I haven't heard of any one who did DDS/DMD and had to go back because of lack of H1B quota. ppl who invest a huge amount have backup plans, there must be job oppertunities in non-profit organisations, one might have to compromise on salary or speciality for a time being.

Most of the good paying jobs are in the pvt sector. Pls tell all your friends and family in US to vote for the Presidential candidate who might increase the H1B quota, guess everybody knows which party will do that!

Good day, everyone. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that Master degree holders are not subject to quota for H1b. Any comments on that?